New security measures in place

brettredmayne

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, waterfalls212434 said:

for the life of me I cant understand as I said above they dont use scanners? able to detect far more accurately (a person may miss something but an xray wont)  a lot quicker,(pop bag on scanner, pick it up on other side airport style) and far less intrusive and keeps the lines moving faster. Id have thought it would have been a simple case of hiring the equipment for the week and the trained staff who know what they are looking for to operate it, and routing the lines through it (say 1 or 2 machines for each entrance)

if its good enough for a place like disneyland paris that handles these volumes of people day in day out then why not festivals? 

The difference is that Disneyland Paris is day in and day out whereas a festival is a few days per year. The additional training for staff on the equipment  would be substantial and let's not forget that the additional security measures this year only came about very recently and so logistically would have been very difficult, if possible at all, to get the equipment to site and up and running in time

Just now, squirrelarmy said:

Just bags, if security see an unidentified chair they aren't going to worry. An abandoned bag can cause alarm and could be dealt with. To save your bag full of cider being disposed of, stick a label on it!

Thank you! 

1 hour ago, jonodillieono said:

Matts now followed up with:

'I snuck mine in by ballsing my stuff, But my bag was opened and looked through, not a very thorough search, They aren't looking for drugs they are looking for weapons and stuff'

right, so not exactly "anything sealed getting ripped open" by the sounds of it.

not like Matt to be a bit OTT :rolleyes:  :lol:

4 minutes ago, rpfranks said:

Tags. 

Are they really necessary? If your bag is always going to be on your back then why are they necessary?

i'm not exactly going to leave my 90L rucksack in the middle of a field

I asked people in my group if they'd got tags and they just looked at me blankly. Based on that small survey I estimate 85% of people wont have tagged their bag.

1 hour ago, jonodillieono said:

They aren't looking for drugs they are looking for weapons and stuff

Surely this is the headline here. I'm sure weapons will be their main concern. If while looking for them they come across other contraband they might have to act on it but so long as they are stashed away somewhat we should all be fine. 

1 hour ago, ripcurl85 said:

In terms of additional space for searching, from the webcam it looks like the space beyond PGA (coming from West car parks and near the chicken shed with solar panels) which usually has queue line fencing snaking around, is empty this year save for a few generators with lighting. As this field also looks like it has been surrounded by steel shield fencing this year my money is on some sort of marshalled area where searches take place in batches before you get up the hill to the gates.

All of the above is based on nothing other than what I can see on the camera and what I remember from previous years in the area in question.

You may be describing the cyclist lock up. Steel shed fencing on the outside is unusual but they use queue fence as bicycle stands and there is a tent at the end towards PGA for cyclist luggage.

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I asked people in my group if they'd got tags and they just looked at me blankly. Based on that small survey I estimate 85% of people wont have tagged their bag.

Yup. I only think you'd need to tag your bag if you're worried you'll leave it somewhere. I'm not. 

Just now, O'Doyle Rules said:

I think they know there are going to be huge queues, particularly as they have said to come on Thursday or even Friday. 

Ahh right, must have missed that. 

10 minutes ago, rpfranks said:

Yup. I only think you'd need to tag your bag if you're worried you'll leave it somewhere. I'm not. 

I think its more so if you or you're bag get searched quicker than the other its easily identifiable. 

Just my 2 pence anyway

4 minutes ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

I think they know there are going to be huge queues, particularly as they have said to come on Thursday or even Friday. 

Then perhaps they should add a couple of days to their daily twitter countdown, which is gloriously telling us how it's nearly Wednesday. The festival starts at 8am Wednesday. They are going to have to respond sensibly and proportionately to the vast majority who have paid for a 5 day festival and not unsurprisingly turn up on the advertised first day.

12 minutes ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

They just say it's going to be quicker on Thursday or Friday due to fewer people arriving - they aren't advising at as such (I don't think), unless you really don't want to queue.

They did this last year with all the mud and traffic chaos, they were saying that the main entertainment doesn't start until Friday and not to come until then. I understand the reasoning but surely they know most will ignore it and it can't be expected to be taken seriously.

Edit: They also rather unhelpfully sent out a tweet on Wednesday last year saying how more people were on site at that point in time than the same time the previous year, which wasn't much comfort to those stuck in traffic and to all the people they were telling not to come until Friday.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

16 minutes ago, watsonjm said:

Ahh right, must have missed that. 

I think its more so if you or you're bag get searched quicker than the other its easily identifiable. 

Just my 2 pence anyway

How would your bag get searched quicker than you personally getting searched? You are in the same place and you don't let your bag out of your sight or arms reach. When they search your bag they would do it with you stood over them at the time.

1 minute ago, robin said:

How would your bag get searched quicker than you personally getting searched? You are in the same place and you don't let your bag out of your sight or arms reach. When they search your bag they would do it with you stood over them at the time.

Thinking along airport lines, bag gets searched and moved down while you're waiting to be patted down.

1 minute ago, watsonjm said:

Thinking along airport lines, bag gets searched and moved down while you're waiting to be patted down.

Except at airports that's not what happens. Your bag gets x-rayed without you beside it, but it doesn't get searched or opened until you are back stood infront of it.

1 minute ago, brettredmayne said:

Could i walk in with nothing, go straight back out and go to re entry which would probably be more quiet till a few hours later.

Sure re entry is always a different queue 

Would you get fastracked for not carrying much? Probably not.