New security measures in place

brettredmayne

4 minutes ago, Tr234 said:

I imagine it will be something similar to what they have at Bestival. There's no way they could unpack every bag, people would be there for days. I reckon and quick rummage around the bag rather than emptying all the contents will be what they are doing

Can't remember what they had at Bestival as only went once in 2014 but I think that you're right. We all know that a proper search of everyone is impossible. I'm expecting a light rummage around, with some people getting a bit more. Will probably see some sort of basic scanners too and dogs sniffing for explosives. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without getting into politics.... I am old enough to remember and being part of the bomb scares in the 1970's.... My dad has told me lots of stories of when he was a boy in the blitz....

so 

what ever the queue is... the searches .... we can do it.... we will rise against any attempts to dislodge our enjoyment and we will double it with extra cider, lager, vodka, we will defile  any attempt to enjoy what if rightfully ours,  because, this is, my friends , Our Glastonbury!

and let no man take it away from us. ;-)

8 hours ago, rhg_99 said:

Someone in the 'State of the Ground' thread just said that they have heard the security will be doing 100% searches on entry.

Impossible, again simply not enough man power, unless it's a cursory pat down and rummage. 

Same was said for Download, so hopefully we'll get some feedback on whether it was true.

8 hours ago, Shariken said:

Packing cubes make sense especially when you get to the tent.

Packing cubes are the best thing since sliced bread - as anyone who travels with a backpack regularly would attest. Pair them with vacuum bags (reduce volume and shit stays dry&un-smelly), job's a good'un.

6 minutes ago, dazednconfused said:

Packing cubes are the best thing since sliced bread - as anyone who travels with a backpack regularly would attest. Pair them with vacuum bags (reduce volume and shit stays dry&un-smelly), job's a good'un.

I've never even heard of these things. Can anyone recommend any cheap and cheerful ones? Thanks!

59 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

Impossible without highways carnage, simply wouldn't have man power to do this unless they've got half the Met involved.

I'm ex forces, we used to do it regularly with IRA threats. Even with a team of experienced searchers under floodlights/cover you're looking at 3-5 mins per vehicle if everything comes out. You would need masses of security teams, well trained and slick. If they were to find anything, they'd quickly find themselves faced with an armed and determined enemy.

If I were handling the searches, for safety, I'd want them done as far away from gates and car park as possible, so at the purple A37 exit for example. The knock on effect on traffic would be huge. I'd expect there to be armed police knocking around to keep an eye on things.

I don't believe a 100% vehicle check is feasible.

Sorry, just picking up on the existence of these too - what's the point in them?  Thanks for the link above, I'll have a read of that too.  Do they keep your things dry?  do they make better use of space?  I'm guessing by a brief glance they're useful for having specific cubes for different things to help organise my minimal belongings?

6 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Sorry, just picking up on the existence of these too - what's the point in them?  Thanks for the link above, I'll have a read of that too.  Do they keep your things dry?  do they make better use of space?  I'm guessing by a brief glance they're useful for having specific cubes for different things to help organise my minimal belongings?

In usual life it's for organisation and use of space.  In this instance it's so your belongings are in small easy to check (and easy to repack) bites so that not every last thing has to be turned out at once on the table.

I've gone for the budget option of cheap supermarket ziploks.  They're about 10inches square.  Big enough for a couple of rolled up t shirts or your week's worth of pants etc.  Small enough that nothing sinister could really be hidden in 'em.  See through to help inspection. 

Edited by scaryclaireyfairy

4 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

In usual life it's for organisation and use of space.  In this instance it's so your belongings are in small easy to check (and easy to repack) bites so that not every last thing has to be turned out at once on the table.

Cool - just bought some - seems a good idea for general travel too

11 minutes ago, Flysheet said:

I'm ex forces, 

If I were handling the searches, for safety, I'd want them done as far away from gates and car park as possible, so at the purple A37 exit for example. The knock on effect on traffic would be huge. I'd expect there to be armed police knocking around to keep an eye on things.

Very true - and I guess the festival email says 'vehicle, bag and person checks will make entrance times longer'. I doesn't specifically says at the Pedestrian gates though!

6 minutes ago, rosssss224 said:

could imagine...

1. Cars - Quick sweep with mirror and dog / quick dog sweep of the boot (20 secs max while checking passes etc)

2. coaches - All luggage off in a pile ( as usual) minute long sweep with dog

Going to need a lot of dogs!

10 minutes ago, rosssss224 said:

could imagine...

1. Cars - Quick sweep with mirror and dog / quick dog sweep of the boot (20 secs max while checking passes etc)

2. coaches - All luggage off in a pile ( as usual) minute long sweep with dog

Do we think there are going be dogs? Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't they be able to detect drugs? 60% of festival wouldn't get in

I think the approach in regards to the cars/campervans/caravans will be similar to what I have been through at boomtown previously.  Basically the vehicles are held in bulk in a large holding area (similar to the ferries).  Explosives dog checks will be tier 1 screening (undertaken by the police/armed services) next will be the festival security checks (glass & sharps searching).  I would expect then further random/profiled searching on entry through any pedestrian gate.

5 minutes ago, Drfoxxx said:

Do we think there are going be dogs? Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't they be able to detect drugs? 60% of festival wouldn't get in

I'm by no means an expert but I'm not sure they are multi purpose, I would imagine they'd be trained to smell for explosives, rather than everything. Obviously you get dogsbtrained to sniff for drugs, but I'm not sure how useful they would be if they kept stopping every time they smelt a bit of weed.

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I'm by no means an expert but I'm not sure they are multi purpose, I would imagine they'd be trained to smell for explosives, rather than everything. Obviously you get dogsbtrained to sniff for drugs, but I'm not sure how useful they would be if they kept stopping every time they smelt a bit of weed.

Different scent entirely. They've used bomb dogs at Download 

1 minute ago, Flysheet said:

Would be handy if the dogs had a collar with a big a B for bomb or D for drugs lol 

4 minutes ago, Flysheet said:

Assume people have started to arrive at Download already - is it going smoothly / are they doing 100% checks / car checks?