New security measures in place

brettredmayne

3 hours ago, StLewi said:

I got searched last year - they checked all the outside compartments (around 4) of my rucksack, checked a smaller bag I was carrying and made me empty my pockets and go through a pat-down. This took around 10-15 minutes without the main compartment of my rucksack being checked and my tent being taken out.

People are saying searches will take 5 minutes, but that's very ambitious. Then if all the bags and tents are completely unpacked, everyone will have to spend 10-15 mins packing everything back up. Ain't gonna happen.

How grabby was this pat down  ? ? 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I seem to remember some people in the past saying once they gave up the weed they actually then got a more extensive search - like Russy said, if they don't like the look of you they'll pounce on you. 

My mate used to get searched every year

6 foot 4 mixed race with massive dread locks, every year. never had anything on him..

he always gave everything to his wife 5 foot 5 petite blonde queuing on her own, never got searched

3 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

6 foot 4 mixed race with massive dread locks, every year. never had anything on him..

he always gave everything to his wife 5 foot 5 petite blonde queuing on her own, never got searched

The stupidity of racial profiling! 

39 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Yep it absolutely is. 

And whether or not you'd get prosecuted if you brought out a class A depends mainly on who you are and what the coppers prejudices are. If your face dont fit? You're nicked son

Or ya know, the amount you're carrying. :rolleyes: Also it isn't really a trick. They did this to me at a festival in Ireland before. I lied and said I didn't have anything because I knew they wouldn't find it. But they did search me.

47 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I always assumed that was a trick they used to get you to give up your stuff without them having to search for it. I still think if you brought out class As they'd prosecute you. 

If you give them anything I'd assume they're obliged to then give you the full search which could include a rubber glove if they feel the need.  If you give them nothing you may or may not get your bags rifled depending on how they read you.  I'd be inclined to make them work for it but I don't know if that's the wisest choice. *shrug* Not really an issue these days anyway </old>

44 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

My mate always gets searched too, 6 ft 2 white guy, so it's not about race, but the thing is he just looks so happy - just naturally spaced out happy. Biggest smile you'll ever see. Come Glasto he's so chuffed to be there but security always think he's off his tits. We always have a good laugh about it, mostly cos he actually does do shit loads of mdma but he never has it on him. Always gves it to another bloke who looks "sweeter" I guess

Edited by simian_mobile_mushrooms

Got searched last year on the way in. 2 lovely scousers one male, one female had a little rummage through my backpack and through my wash bag. Also said to me they weren't even interested in finding anything but had to make it look like they were. Had a little chat with them about my horrendous journey and they sent me on my way.

Also got searched every time we went in and out of the camper van fields in 2015. Had a Lethermans confiscated and never returned which was very annoying but again a very half arsed attempts and seemed to be searching for things which could potentially cause harm over narcotics.

20 hours ago, brendan84 said:

They know who to look for and will have intelligence if anything major was at risk,

I'd expect a good amount of extra bag checkers for extra safety but not a chance everyone gets searched.   1/10 chance to 2/10 chance of gettingstopped 

You mean people like me? lol :( 

19 hours ago, Fork_UK said:

Is it heavy enough??

18 hours ago, russycarps said:

What an unpleasant situation. It puts me off going a bit.

And you just know the coppers will gleefully use this opportunity to discriminate against anyone who looks a little bit alternative. Extra vigorous searches for those poor souls. And God help them when they find their measly stash.

Of course Cordelia and Rupert will have nothing to worry about.

I am foked lol. 

7 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

As I said in another thread I'm half Egyptian so I know I'm going to be searched regardless (as I always do)  - just curious how many eFestivalers have a similar ethnicity,  if they do end up doing racial profiling? Is it just going to be me and 3 or 4 others unpacking all their shit?! :lol:

Kashmiri here man! Cant be as bad as my recent journey to the USA ! hahaha (you gotta laugh right?) ;)

6 hours ago, zahidf said:

Im pakistani. Ill be shaving beforehand for sure! At glasto, ive been searched once in 8 years of going. I'll be searched again for sure!

haha , not even a glasto search will make me clean shave i look like a complete idiot with a clean shave! small stuble and a "trendy" hipster haircut might see me through ;D 

1 minute ago, TiZuff said:

You mean people like me? lol :( 

Is it heavy enough??

I am foked lol. 

Kashmiri here man! Cant be as bad as my recent journey to the USA ! hahaha (you gotta laugh right?) ;)

haha , not even a glasto search will make me clean shave i look like a complete idiot with a clean shave! small stuble and a "trendy" hipster haircut might see me through ;D 

You may well get searched but I dont think they'll be nasty with you. 

It's those from an alternative lifestyle that they'll go to town on (if there are any left that go to glastonbury :lol:)

Last year I left at about 5pm on the Sunday and got searched on the way out I was so taken back I didn't even challenge it. Is this normal/routine the ironic thing is I've been to Glastonbury 9 times and I've only been searched once on the way in 

serious question as this thread has a few drug related posts...not judging at all just interested from an oldie.

If you didn't have any drugs the whole time would it dampen your experience ? what does it bring to the party ? and do you do it every time you go to something like this or is it just a Glastonbury experience.

My younger days are long gone and can't remember too much about it all but it wasn't so easy to obtain then only weed....I'd be too scared now especially having to take prescription stuff anyway j

11 minutes ago, M_Il said:

Last year I left at about 5pm on the Sunday and got searched on the way out I was so taken back I didn't even challenge it. Is this normal/routine the ironic thing is I've been to Glastonbury 9 times and I've only been searched once on the way in 

I think it's just pot-luck for that sort of thing. Plus, probably bored security on the gates who wanted to have something to do.

5 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

serious question as this thread has a few drug related posts...not judging at all just interested from an oldie.

If you didn't have any drugs the whole time would it dampen your experience ? what does it bring to the party ? and do you do it every time you go to something like this or is it just a Glastonbury experience.

My younger days are long gone and can't remember too much about it all but it wasn't so easy to obtain then only weed....I'd be too scared now especially having to take prescription stuff anyway j

I've done Glastonbury both with and without illicit substances, in fact 2010 and 2011 I just drank, and 2013 was very light on that front too - I tend to not go mad at Glastonbury just in case I feel really shit one day, at shorter festivals I use drugs far more readily as it's less of a slog and my mental health can take a 2 day comedown as opposed to a 5 day one. 

1 minute ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

I've done Glastonbury both with and without illicit substances, in fact 2010 and 2011 I just drank, and 2013 was very light on that front too - I tend to not go mad at Glastonbury just in case I feel really shit one day, at shorter festivals I use drugs far more readily as it's less of a slog and my mental health can take a 2 day comedown as opposed to a 5 day one. 

I can't even drink so much now...well head thinks I can but body says no and I am on my own so got to make sure I can look after myself ...as for the comedown post Glastonbury its made a lot easier as I get back Monday lunchtime and back into sorting the animals as OH can get half a days work in .

Thank for the insight 

56 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I went to creamfields once in a shocking-red shirt with a pattern of massive cannabis leaves.

I got searched. 

the bastards. 

:P

Are you suggesting they search me everytime i go in because I'm wearing tye die? I hadn't considered that before!

1 hour ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

My mate always gets searched too, 6 ft 2 white guy, so it's not about race

Aye, I don't think it's necessarily racial profiling. I'm black 6ft and haven't been searched once in 3 years of going. Guess this year will be my year... time to get creative :)

28 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I think it's just pot-luck for that sort of thing. Plus, probably bored security on the gates who wanted to have something to do.

Yes I assume it was boredom but just thought it was a little strange