New security measures in place

brettredmayne

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Am I the only person that thinks this is an absolutely pointless exercise, designed to create the illusion of making everybody safer but in reality just going to make Wednesday a nightmare for everybody involved?

^^^ This ^^^

I expect it means that a good deal more searches are going to take place, rather than every single person/trolley being searched.  Last year searches were well up on previous years and it didn't really make any impact as I saw and queues at the gates moved smoothly.

3 minutes ago, The60ftOctopus said:

I'm intrigued to see how they're going to do the car searches. Won't this just congest the roads even worse than last year? 

We got car searched in 2011, they pull your car across in the car park to one of several bays where they get you out, go through the car and ask if you are carrying any glass or prohibited items.  This year they are going to be more thorough and more cars are going to be searched I would imagine.

1 minute ago, stopwn1981 said:

Out of interest what's the longest anyone has queued in previous years on a Wednesday under previous search regimes?

They tend to prioritise the people coming in through the coach station gate, which some years has had a knock on effect at Gate D.  I've been there from 6:30am and got through the gate at 12:30 before.

As somebody who brings a lot of drugs this worries me a little, but as somebody who also has pretty high anxiety (and has been pranging about this shit) fuck it, its worth the wait. We'll see just how far this goes but it can only be a good thing if it ensures the safety of the festival, even at the expense of some people's drugs (which if you're smart you'll be fine with anyway). 

I'm happy with this, everyone's gonna get in either way. Was talking about security the other day and was suggested that National Express should check for Glasto tickets when you board the coach, just to make sure everyone is on there for the same reason. Doesn't seem like a terrible idea unless of course you're meeting someone with your ticket at the festival

Only time I've been fully searched and bags emptied was Bestival in 2015, think they did this with most people and took maximum 2 minutes

19 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Am I the only person that thinks this is an absolutely pointless exercise, designed to create the illusion of making everybody safer but in reality just going to make Wednesday a nightmare for everybody involved?

Correct they know who and what to target.

2 minutes ago, Dillyblue said:

Wonder if crew/workers/traders/artists will also get searched ??

Probably not if you're in the crew camping outside the main site.

I can see it happening for anybody on the main site.  Depends on how dodgy you look really.  I always pack as if I'm going to be searched so never really worried about it.  I was always more concerned about having to re-pack my bag if they did decide to pull everything out.

just changed my wednesday outward coach from 1.30am to 10.30am to get there at 4pm. there's only 2 of us, we don't particularly care where we camp. now i get a proper night's sleep, lie in on a weekday and queues should have died down a bit. 

3 minutes ago, Spindles said:

They tend to prioritise the people coming in through the coach station gate, which some years has had a knock on effect at Gate D.  I've been there from 6:30am and got through the gate at 12:30 before.

I'm staying off site and biking in each day - hopefully I'm allowed to use the coach Gate!

8 minutes ago, brendan84 said:

They know who to look for and will have intelligence if anything major was at risk,

I'd expect a good amount of extra bag checkers for extra safety but not a chance everyone gets searched.   1/10 chance to 2/10 chance of gettingstopped 

What do you mean by this?

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

If they searched everybody and it took 2 minutes on average to do, my back of a fag packet sums make it that if there are say 4 gates and 10 queues per gate it would take about 30 days to get everybody through.

138000/4/10*2/60/24 = 4.79 days

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

If they searched everybody and it took 2 minutes on average to do, my back of a fag packet sums make it that if there are say 4 gates and 10 queues per gate it would take about 30 days to get everybody through.

Yep, assuming 100,000 people arrive on weds (I believe this has been stated by the fest before) then its 34.7 days at 2 mins per search. I didn't add any time for re-packing of bags, which I would assume is at the same station and therefore you could arguably double or even triple that time)

It was obvious after the Manchester attack security and searches would be stepped up, London only made the situation worse. This has been put out there for two reasons.

Firstly it could act as a deterrent to anyone thinking of trying something; and secondly to tell us to expect longer queues, bringing less stuff will help reduce the impact this will have.

Just now, rhg_99 said:

only thing I'm worried about is I tend to take in a lot of stuff to smoke, so the size and smell of that is always a slight issue.

Yep likewise. It really isn't feasibly possible for them to go through with what they've said really - it'd take far too long to the point people would be waiting for days. I'm sure they'll be a little more cautious, but not to the point they're saying. It's a tough one really. I want to feel safe but also don't want to feel like my festival is being hunkered down by this kind of stuff. 

Just now, TBD said:

It means that the only way to stop a determined terrorist is with intelligence and we hope they would be being followed. No amount of bag checks (unless they search literally every tent bag) is going to stop somebody who really wants to blow somebody up. Besides, the best place would do that would be in the queue anyway where there is a large and packed amount of people. The guy in Manchester didn't bother getting inside the arena did he?

Brendan, if that's not what you mean then I apologise ;-)

46 minutes ago, Titters said:

I think so. I'm guessing they'll remove it to do a search, making getting on site a real challenge. 

Selfishly, I'm hoping the non-trolley line is clearly separate....

How are you going to explain carrying 4 tents and one clean pair of skiddies?

Edited by Gnomicide

29 minutes ago, Fingerbobs said:

As a mostly Thursday arrival I get these full on searches every year anyway. On the way in and inside the festival on one occasion. It's everything out of the rucksack and onto the table. Pants too. I save my worst worn out pants for festivals too.  Oh the humanity.

Not gonna get mad about this in our ever more wrong new world though.  Glad they're officially announcing it too. 

Did they take apart your sleeping bag and roll matt and stuff ??

4 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

only thing I'm worried about is I tend to take in a lot of stuff to smoke, so the size and smell of that is always a slight issue. Will still probably stick with my normal idea of putting it in a hot drink flask at the bottom of my camping bag but I am a bit more worried now

Mylar smell proof bags 100 for £9 on ebay, the black ones

3 minutes ago, TBD said:

I assume he means they have all ticket holders' names and addresses.....

And, if we're being totally open and honest, there may be decisions made based on ethnicity and/or perceptions of religion, just as there are in the wider world with the stop and search activities carried out by police, and the searching at airports.