2019 festival

21 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I think that R&L is getting harder and harder to predict each year because of how random the days have become. I’ve had a go but I’m probably way out though. 

Twenty One Pilots / A$AP Rocky / Enter Shikari / Limp Bizkit 

Blossoms 

The 1975 + Two Door Cinema Club (co-headline) / Jamie xx / Cardi B 

Marshmello 

Drake / Skepta / CHVRCES / Glass Animals 

All Time Low 

the co headline i will like

1 hour ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Stop it

They will absolutely headline Download. They’ve subbed it, they’ve toured arenas and are only going to get bigger on the release of their next album. It’ll be a fresh booking and one that is great for Download’s diminishing pool of headliners. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

I was thinking that both BMTH and ADTR would be about next summer, and I think ADTR would take the coheadline alot (but BMTH would want a solo top spot, which they could get in Download but maybe not at Reading).

I think ADTR could coheadline tbh, they'd be a weaker coheadliner but surely no weaker than Disclosure or Panic

90% of the audience wouldn't have a fucking clue who they are. Everybody who goes to R&L knows Disclosure and a lot of them like Disclosure. ADTR ain't getting slots like headlining Other Stage at Glasto (I know it's not their crowd but the point is Disclosure are a massive household name whilst ADTR aren't).

PATD are basically subbing, but even they are apparently now some popular pop band. Fuck knows, though; I was initially baffled at people thinking they were big enough to play 3rd down.

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

They will absolutely headline Download. They’ve subbed it, they’ve toured arenas and are only going to get bigger on the release of their next album. It’ll be a fresh booking and one that is great for Download’s diminishing pool of headliners. 

Didn't say they won't. I was referring to your claim that they could headline R&L.

90% of the audience wouldn't have a fucking clue who they are. Everybody who goes to R&L knows Disclosure and a lot of them like Disclosure. ADTR ain't getting slots like headlining Other Stage at Glasto (I know it's not their crowd but the point is Disclosure are a massive household name whilst ADTR aren't).

Where would you place them then? They're obviously popular enough to fill Arenas. Sure they ain't as well known and radio friendly as Disclosure, but in terms of heavier bands I think ADTR are doing pretty well for themselves and imo could coheadline (tho they'd be more comfortable subbing).

PATD are basically subbing, but even they are apparently now some popular pop band. Fuck knows, though; I was initially baffled at people thinking they were big enough to play 3rd down.

Exactly why ADTR could get the higher slot surely....

2 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Where would you place them then? They're obviously popular enough to fill Arenas. Sure they ain't as well known and radio friendly as Disclosure, but in terms of heavier bands I think ADTR are doing pretty well for themselves and imo could coheadline (tho they'd be more comfortable subbing).

Panic were a big name in a big music scene. Everyone knows one or two of their songs. ADTR are playing arenas but so is Donald Broco.

9 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

I'd place them as a sub.

Well no I don't think me being wrong about PATD suddenly means every band I didn't think could headline can now headline. As dental says, everybody at least knows who they are, and by the sounds of it their newer stuff has found them a more mainstream audience. ADTR are still a band that no one gives a fuck about other than rock fans.

Yeah I'd put good money on ADTR not coheadlining. Even subbing would be shite. R&L make some arguably weak bookings at the top but it's at least usually relevant acts on the up, not cringey rock bands who established their fanbase a long time ago, and have never had a hit.

PATD have a couple of songs that everyone knows, and for some reason are genuinely pretty relevant atm. 4 top 10 albums and the new one got to number 2. I doubt anyone I know could name a ADTR song, and the only one I know by name is that Kelly Clarkson cover which is good to watch for a laugh. How does anyone take that band seriously hahaha.

• Downvote 2

44 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Yeah I'd put good money on ADTR not coheadlining. Even subbing would be shite. R&L make some arguably weak bookings at the top but it's at least usually relevant acts on the up, not cringey rock bands who established their fanbase a long time ago, and have never had a hit.

PATD have a couple of songs that everyone knows, and for some reason are genuinely pretty relevant atm. 4 top 10 albums and the new one got to number 2. I doubt anyone I know could name a ADTR song, and the only one I know by name is that Kelly Clarkson cover which is good to watch for a laugh. How does anyone take that band seriously hahaha.

What a load of arse. Weak booking? They’re an arena band, have subbed Download and will headline it next time they play. They aren’t a weak booking like putting Blossoms third down when they couldn’t sell out a 1600 capacity venue in Lincolnshire. Established their fan base long ago? Well, yes, they’ve been a band for 15 years but have continued to get bigger and play higher festival slots and bigger and bigger venues on tour. ‘Never had a hit’. A band like ADTR aren’t ever going to have a mainstream ‘hit’ because the world isn’t in a place where heavier music is pushed in the mainstream anymore. That’s the same for any heavier band that has come through probably post MCR and FOB. 

Anyway, if you look at my original post I said that ADTR are big enough to co-headline but won’t. 

I would much rather see them headline Download to a field full of people who are into them than watch them sub R&L to the kind of crowd they have now. 

It makes sense when @Gucci Piggy puts it like that. It’s much the same reason that Avenged Sevenfold wouldn’t headline R&L despite being more than big enough and the metal band post Slipknot. 

Edited by Andre91

22 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

What a load of arse. Weak booking? They’re an arena band, have subbed Download and will headline it next time they play. They aren’t a weak booking like putting Blossoms third down when they couldn’t sell out a 1600 capacity venue in Lincolnshire. Established their fan base long ago? Well, yes, they’ve been a band for 15 years but have continued to get bigger and play higher festival slots and bigger and bigger venues on tour. ‘Never had a hit’. A band like ADTR aren’t ever going to have a mainstream ‘hit’ because the world isn’t in a place where heavier music is pushed in the mainstream anymore. That’s the same for any heavier band that has come through probably post MCR and FOB. 

Anyway, if you look at my original post I said that ADTR are big enough to co-headline but won’t. 

I would much rather see them headline Download to a field full of people who are into them than watch them sub R&L to the kind of crowd they have now. 

It makes sense when @Gucci Piggy puts it like that. It’s much the same reason that Avenged Sevenfold wouldn’t headline R&L despite being more than big enough and the metal band post Slipknot. 

This conversation has nothing to do with Download or where they would play there though. At R&L with the people who go there, I reckon ADTR would be a weak booking anywhere above 3rd, and would not get a crowd big enough to justify their slot. I don't think that's necessarily a load of arse but tbf I might have over-egged my point that I think they're shit when that bit isn't really relevant haha.

And I use the term "hit" loosely. I'm not having a go at them for never having a number one obviously. But they've never even hit the top 100. They're too niche for a huge slot here.

18 hours ago, Andre91 said:

They have to really due to the pool but I also don't think it'll be one of the biggest selling days.....their arena tour didn't flout and Papa Roach supported them, I actually wish I went to the tour.

2 hours ago, dum surfer said:

I think the 1975 will only headline outright, i think Matty would refuse co headlining. A couple of years he said about how he planned to headline reading and glastonbury over the next couple of years.

Warming to them headlining Glastonbury this year and doing Reading the following, they feel too big to be one of the co-headliners and sub Glastonbury compared to previous who have done similar.

11 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

They have to really due to the pool but I also don't think it'll be one of the biggest selling days.....their arena tour didn't flout and Papa Roach supported them, I actually wish I went to the tour.

Warming to them headlining Glastonbury this year and doing Reading the following, they feel too big to be one of the co-headliners and sub Glastonbury compared to previous who have done similar.

Papa Roach didn’t support ADTR, New Found Glory, Neck Deep and Moose Blood did :) 

33 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

BMTH even kinda seem like an iffy headline choice for the festival R+L is becoming.

I’d stick Paramore in with that too. I can’t see how they’d go down a treat in 2019. After Laughter hasn’t made them this massive mainstream thing. I know they only headlined in 2014 but the festival has changed loads since then. 

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

I’d stick Paramore in with that too. I can’t see how they’d go down a treat in 2019. After Laughter hasn’t made them this massive mainstream thing. I know they only headlined in 2014 but the festival has changed loads since then. 

Paramore are in a weird position really for festivals imo in that After Laughter doesn't really fit at Download or R&L but their back catalogue is probably too punky for somewhere like APE.

I still think they would go down a storm at Glasto but I dunno if they'd be booked

4 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Exactly, regardless of whether people like them or not their last album was massive and had big streaming numbers, with them releasing 2 albums by the time the next reading/glasto come around they will be too big to co-headline/sub

Reckon The 1975 will be at Glasto in 2019 and then Reading 2020, because I'm not sure they're big enough to do Glasto's 50th anniversary.

We should see some Arctic Monkeys UK festival appearances in 2019, I actually think they'll do Glastonbury and one other (Either Reading/Leeds or IOW). The Glasto set will be like "Arctic Monkeys greatest hits" type think where they do a load of older bangers, whereas the other appearance would be a standard set with a heaving focus on AM and TBHC tracks. I'll lean towards IOW for the other appearance.

Formerly popular shouts Foo's and Royal Blood probably more likely to be in the studio next year. I think we might see them return to RnB for the "big" headliner and Drake could be the favourite to be at Reading on the Saturday night. There's probably going to be a (genuine) co-headline at some point with Twenty One Pilots joining a more indie band who are popular with FR, either Two Door Cinema Club or Catfish and the Bottlemen. I think these would complement each other well and shift a decent amount of day tickets.

Then perhaps Bring me the horizon fits into the slightly heavier day.

Obviously the caveat is if they land Arctic Monkeys then you can probably forget about both BMTH and Drake and we'd end up with something like AM, Stormzy and 21P/CATB.

Edited by danz026

1 hour ago, danz026 said:

Reckon The 1975 will be at Glasto in 2019 and then Reading 2020, because I'm not sure they're big enough to do Glasto's 50th anniversary.

We should see some Arctic Monkeys UK festival appearances in 2019, I actually think they'll do Glastonbury and one other (Either Reading/Leeds or IOW). The Glasto set will be like "Arctic Monkeys greatest hits" type think where they do a load of older bangers, whereas the other appearance would be a standard set with a heaving focus on AM and TBHC tracks. I'll lean towards IOW for the other appearance.

Formerly popular shouts Foo's and Royal Blood probably more likely to be in the studio next year. I think we might see them return to RnB for the "big" headliner and Drake could be the favourite to be at Reading on the Saturday night. There's probably going to be a (genuine) co-headline at some point with Twenty One Pilots joining a more indie band who are popular with FR, either Two Door Cinema Club or Catfish and the Bottlemen. I think these would complement each other well and shift a decent amount of day tickets.

Obviously the caveat is if they land Arctic Monkeys then you can probably forget about both BMTH and Drake and we'd end up with something like AM, Stormzy and 21P/CATB.

Arctic Monkeys headlined Glasto 5 years ago playing a greatest hits set (they only played 3 songs off AM, 2 of which are "greatest hits" songs, anyway). If they play it'll definitely be a TBHC-based set. There's also no precedent for Glasto headliners also headlining R&L, so I definitely don't think AM will do both.

This is the Glasto setlist from 2013:

18. Encore:
  19. (Semi-Acoustic version)
  20. (Semi-Acoustic version)
  22. 505

4 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Arctic Monkeys headlined Glasto 5 years ago playing a greatest hits set (they only played 3 songs off AM, 2 of which are "greatest hits" songs, anyway). If they play it'll definitely be a TBHC-based set. There's also no precedent for Glasto headliners also headlining R&L, so I definitely don't think AM will do both.

This is the Glasto setlist from 2013:

18. Encore:
  19. (Semi-Acoustic version)
  20. (Semi-Acoustic version)
  22. 505

Even their current set isn’t particularly based on TBHC. AM has been the most heavily featured album in their current set. 

16 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Paramore are in a weird position really for festivals imo in that After Laughter doesn't really fit at Download or R&L but their back catalogue is probably too punky for somewhere like APE.

I still think they would go down a storm at Glasto but I dunno if they'd be booked

I think if Glasto offered Paramore a similar position to what Biffy got they'd snap it up to get the exposure from people that otherwise may not attend their gigs. But if FOB who's sound is way more poppy and different from when they were good imo and KOL can do it and also PATD then I don't see Paramore being booked a problem, they can still do a set that includes a lot of R&L style stuff if you like.

14 hours ago, dum surfer said:

Exactly, regardless of whether people like them or not their last album was massive and had big streaming numbers, with them releasing 2 albums by the time the next reading/glasto come around they will be too big to co-headline/sub

13 hours ago, danz026 said:

Yup but Arctics won't do Glasto and Reading. It's more likely to be their own stadium shows around end of May/June time and if a fest of some sort is announced towards the end of June/July time that will probably nail it. There is no chance of The 1975 doing the 50th one.....also no chance of getting booked by Glasto on a 2nd year unless it was non-headline. Arctics similarly aren't waiting until 2020, they could do it and fest would be happy for it but they would have toured since summer this year.

10 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I’m pleasantly surprised that they’ve been playing songs like Teddy Picker, Cornerstone, Do Me a Favour and From The Ritz... 

Personally I loved the Glasto set just a shame Mardy Bum was semi-acoustic over thestandard version, Cornerstone is a great song though and the only reason I look to that album.

8 hours ago, danz026 said:

Even their current set isn’t particularly based on TBHC. AM has been the most heavily featured album in their current set. 

I mean I saw them at a festival last week and they played 5 from TBHC and 5 from AM; so basically what you suggested they'd play at R&L whilst doing a greatest hits set at Glasto. If they were to play Glasto they'd definitely play the same kind of TBHC/AM-heavy set that they're currently doing.