11 hours ago, robillustrates said:

In a weird way I think due to my friends taste in music, I saw the rise of Bastille and the 1975 to be very similar, radio friendly, similar audience, rising up the festivals ranks, Bastille seemed to have stalled out around the sub level while the 1975 are making all the moves and have the backing to headline Glastonbury following on from headlining Reading.

The Arctic Monkeys went from having an amazing live reputation and overfilling the Festival Republic Stage (equivalent) in 2005, to subbing Muse in 06 and headlining Glastonbury in 2007 in just under 2 years. Two Number 1 singles and albums in that time and broke some first week sales records with the debut album in particular. Think it sold 1.8 million copies in the UK alone. It's harsh to compare but the 1975 have had zero top 10 singles and their albums have peaked around 550,000 copies (2013), AM released the same year sold over 1.2 million copies in the UK easily over double despite well past that mainstream peak.

I'm quoting wiki stats so I do apologise, thought it was interesting comparing them though.

I must admit was very happy with the Bastille set it was great in the R1 Tent should be sub headlining main stage soon at Reading/Leeds.

22 hours ago, robillustrates said:

In a weird way I think due to my friends taste in music, I saw the rise of Bastille and the 1975 to be very similar, radio friendly, similar audience, rising up the festivals ranks, Bastille seemed to have stalled out around the sub level while the 1975 are making all the moves and have the backing to headline Glastonbury following on from headlining Reading.

The Arctic Monkeys went from having an amazing live reputation and overfilling the Festival Republic Stage (equivalent) in 2005, to subbing Muse in 06 and headlining Glastonbury in 2007 in just under 2 years. Two Number 1 singles and albums in that time and broke some first week sales records with the debut album in particular. Think it sold 1.8 million copies in the UK alone. It's harsh to compare but the 1975 have had zero top 10 singles and their albums have peaked around 550,000 copies (2013), AM released the same year sold over 1.2 million copies in the UK easily over double despite well past that mainstream peak.

I'm quoting wiki stats so I do apologise, thought it was interesting comparing them though.

For an indie/rock act to get a top 10 hit, let alone a number 1 single is practically unheard of in this country in 2019. I can't think of the last time it happened unless you count Feel it Still maybe - although not sure that got to no.1 // Obviously AM were much bigger at debut than 1975 are now and are still far bigger but i don't think its a fair comparison as I doubt if AM's stuff was released now from wpsiatwin it would get to number 1.

Edited by gfa

2 hours ago, gfa said:

For an indie/rock act to get a top 10 hit, let alone a number 1 single is practically unheard of in this country in 2019. I can't think of the last time it happened unless you count Feel it Still maybe - although not sure that got to no.1 // Obviously AM were much bigger at debut than 1975 are now and are still far bigger but i don't think its a fair comparison as I doubt if AM's stuff was released now from wpsiatwin it would get to number 1.

that’s a very good point, would be interesting to see how songs such as sex and chocolate would’ve performed in 2006

On 9/5/2019 at 12:14 AM, gfa said:

If AM release their debut now it would go to number one without a doubt and have more going for it to listen to than predict much anything from other indie bands atm, that's how strong an album it was. 

AM actually if anything brought AM back into the mainstream, I'd gone off them and a lot I knew during Humbug/SIAS and then AM changed that to make them a worthwhile option to watch for me again.

When The 1975 can sellout their own outdoor venues then a comparison is worth making but AM released as a debut is similar to The Killers with Hot Fuss....people still pay to see it now. No disrespect to them but it on 10 years time I doubt people will even press play on The 1975.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thewayiam said:

If AM release their debut now it would go to number one without a doubt and have more going for it to listen to than predict much anything from other indie bands atm, that's how strong an album it was. 

AM actually if anything brought AM back into the mainstream, I'd gone off them and a lot I knew during Humbug/SIAS and then AM changed that to make them a worthwhile option to watch for me again.

When The 1975 can sellout their own outdoor venues then a comparison is worth making but AM released as a debut is similar to The Killers with Hot Fuss....people still pay to see it now. No disrespect to them but it on 10 years time I doubt people will even press play on The 1975.

Not a chance that Whatever People Say I Am goes straight to #1 if it comes out in 2019. Have you seen the musical landscape?  

• Upvote 1

On 9/6/2019 at 9:38 PM, Andre91 said:

Not a chance that Whatever People Say I Am goes straight to #1 if it comes out in 2019. Have you seen the musical landscape?  

I think it does, just happens to be that everything else in the indie rock world now and for quite some time has been nowhere near as good.

Haven’t really kept up with this, just wanted to add how surprisingly small Mura Masa’s crowd was at Leeds (and the same at Reading I’ve heard) probs cos he was up against Posty, but still doubt he’ll be booked again soon 

5 hours ago, alf13 said:

Haven’t really kept up with this, just wanted to add how surprisingly small Mura Masa’s crowd was at Leeds (and the same at Reading I’ve heard) probs cos he was up against Posty, but still doubt he’ll be booked again soon 

I love both Posty and Mura Masa, but chose Posty over him, think Mura was a good booking, but shouldve clashed with someone else instead? I'd say both artists have a crossover fan base hence his small crowd - would love to see him live though at some point, but I guess Posty is one of the biggest artists in the world right now, guess it was gonna happen from the green light.

Yeah Mura Masa was empty at Reading. Me and a couple mates were sat at the back and went Mura Masa just cuz no better option and he heard he had a good stage show. Crowd only came out to the mud barrier and that was it.

16 hours ago, stanh said:

I love both Posty and Mura Masa, but chose Posty over him, think Mura was a good booking, but shouldve clashed with someone else instead? I'd say both artists have a crossover fan base hence his small crowd - would love to see him live though at some point, but I guess Posty is one of the biggest artists in the world right now, guess it was gonna happen from the green light.

If Mura Masa was as quiet as everyone says, it proves (not that proof was really needed) that they should have had a rock headliner on that stage instead of him.

Most rock fans left early on Saturday (Reading) night as there was no options.

Why clash Post Malone and Mura Masa to the point where Mura Masa plays to a tiny crowd whilst a large chunk of the punters leave early, doesn’t make sense? 

2 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

If Mura Masa was as quiet as everyone says, it proves (not that proof was really needed) that they should have had a rock headliner on that stage instead of him.

Most rock fans left early on Saturday (Reading) night as there was no options.

Why clash Post Malone and Mura Masa to the point where Mura Masa plays to a tiny crowd whilst a large chunk of the punters leave early, doesn’t make sense? 

I met one of the guys from Peace the other day at a gig, and they said they were quite annoyed that they had to close the FR stage early but they’d been told by the organisers there were to be no guitar alternatives to Post. Whether that was the decision of the festival or Posty was not certain, but it seems like an odd instruction regardless. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, TKOCF said:

I met one of the guys from Peace the other day at a gig, and they said they were quite annoyed that they had to close the FR stage early but they’d been told by the organisers there were to be no guitar alternatives to Post. Whether that was the decision of the festival or Posty was not certain, but it seems like an odd instruction regardless. 

Yeah the lead singer made a point of this on stage at Reading saying how they’ve been told they have to finish early because “the Festival think you’ll all go and watch Post Malone instead”, which got a large boo from the crowd lmao.

• Like 1