2019 festival

in my opinion this year they have picked the 4 best headliners that were available, I would 10000% take the 4 we have over The Cure, The Killers and Stormzy. This is one of the strongest years for headliners imo, 4 huge artists who are all great live and will smash their slots, it’s the first year that i’ve seen all the headliners. 

1 hour ago, Tom Connolly said:

in my opinion this year they have picked the 4 best headliners that were available, I would 10000% take the 4 we have over The Cure, The Killers and Stormzy. This is one of the strongest years for headliners imo, 4 huge artists who are all great live and will smash their slots, it’s the first year that i’ve seen all the headliners. 

Legit got no idea how the Cure would go down as a booking for R&L nowadays. I asked my mates as a joke to name a song by the Cure, and like 4 of them had never heard of The Cure. 

The Killers could probably do it, would be better than KoL (but then again, KoL was the most Boring R&L headline set I’ve ever seen in five years of going)

Stormzy’s probably going to headline next year let’s just accept that. 

But agreed, this year they’ve smashed their headliners.

Edited by TKOCF

8 minutes ago, Tom Connolly said:

The clashfinder they've just painstakingly typed out is '5 - Don't even think about it' for a reason.

I was the last person to update that and I didn't even realise Foos had a 1h45 slot. That's obviously too short.

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The clashfinder they've just painstakingly typed out is '5 - Don't even think about it' for a reason.

I was the last person to update that and I didn't even realise Foos had a 1h45 slot. That's obviously too short.

so how long do we all think the headliners will get?

i’m gonna go for:

Foo Fighters - 2hr 30mins

The 1975 - 2 hrs

Twenty One Pilots - 1hr 15 mins

Post Malone - 1hr 15 mins

2 hours ago, TKOCF said:

Legit got no idea how the Cure would go down as a booking for R&L nowadays. I asked my mates as a joke to name a song by the Cure, and like 4 of them had never heard of The Cure. 

The Killers could probably do it, would be better than KoL (but then again, KoL was the most Boring R&L headline set I’ve ever seen in five years of going)

Stormzy’s probably going to headline next year let’s just accept that. 

But agreed, this year they’ve smashed their headliners.

R&L have done well with finding suitable headliners for the festival I agree. However Stormzy, The Killers and the Cure despite being kinda weak for Glastonbury’s standards are still three pretty big acts. Both Killers and Cure played two masterful headlining slots.

The 1975 are a perfect booking and it’s good that they are headlining outright. I imagine Twenty and Post will go down well on the day but I can’t say they are exciting to everyone. Of course the Foos are the Foos and it’s good to see them back at Reading.

I always find Reading looks strong a few weeks before the festival as most of the acts on the lineup have had time to win over crowds throughout the summer. This years Reading is a well built lineup that knows it’s audience - but it’s not the best lineup of the year.

Edited by Matt42

6 hours ago, Matt42 said:

R&L have done well with finding suitable headliners for the festival I agree. However Stormzy, The Killers and the Cure despite being kinda weak for Glastonbury’s standards are still three pretty big acts. Both Killers and Cure played two masterful headlining slots.

The 1975 are a perfect booking and it’s good that they are headlining outright. I imagine Twenty and Post will go down well on the day but I can’t say they are exciting to everyone. Of course the Foos are the Foos and it’s good to see them back at Reading.

I always find Reading looks strong a few weeks before the festival as most of the acts on the lineup have had time to win over crowds throughout the summer. This years Reading is a well built lineup that knows it’s audience - but it’s not the best lineup of the year.

You say TOP/PM isn't exciting for everyone but that goes for all three. I think Foos are the most widely loved band on there by far, the most classic R&L booking and there's a reason that day sol out way before the others but even then you get some calling it boring because they've been booked a lot in the past, even though the last time was 7 years ago and Post Malone was literally half a bill lower last year, so it's a stupid argument but I've still seen it from a few. Then you have the 1975 who, let's be honest, are a widely hated band, although also massively popular, so a divisive booking.

Either way I actually only care for foos out of the headliners, and I don't mind TOP. The 1975 I think are shite and annoying and I don't see a single thing appealing about post (his last record I had to review it and I'd genuinely put it among the worst 20 or so albums I've ever listened to). Having said all that, I think they've booked it well because you've got 4 extremely popular acts and I think they've done well to split Post and 21P as a co as neither really have the material for a full slot imo. So, not a vintage year, and not the best lineup of the year, and also not as good as Glastos headliners for me (swap stormzy out for foos for a dream combination of the two) but still a pretty savvy set of headliners from an objective pov and I'm not surprised reading sold out quicker than recent years. For me the top of the bill is really just missing a huge sub for foos as I just think ADTR should have been capped at 3rd, I mean wombats are probably a bigger band and they're the same position on the bill 

Edited by thelemon

41 minutes ago, thelemon said:

Then you have the 1975 who, let's be honest, are a widely hated band, although also massively popular, so a divisive booking.

I can attest to this, I can't stand them and I'm gonna go see Bowling For Soup instead of them 

Foo Fighters is the biggest draw for me, and I have no interest in Posty or Pilots, I wish they booked Bastille/Chvrches on the Saturday at R so I had more to watch as that day is pretty barren for me

45 minutes ago, thelemon said:

For me the top of the bill is really just missing a huge sub for foos as I just think ADTR should have been capped at 3rd, I mean wombats are probably a bigger band and they're the same position on the bill 

The amount of dislike I see towards ADTR on this forum from some people is crazy. Of course they're big enough to sub, they'll almost certainly be headlining download in the near future and it's not like they're under the weakest headliner. Yes they're probably smaller than Royal Blood but compared to the usual size for subs they're fine. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Foo Fighters are the most boring headliner booking of all four. 

I a way I agree in a way I think using post that high with nothing really new the year later defines an easy booking. There are bands I'd prefer to Foos though, latest outputs are very poor imo.

But on the flip reverse with an act of your interest in Slipknot, them for download was boring and predictable, you knew it was coming. Last time they played I believe it was said they should just wait a year too. That is essentially the equal of when V Fest booked Kasabian, KOL and The Killers on rotation and T joined in too. It has at least been 7 years for Foos and the last time plus no one was it coming really as up until a certain point we weren't aware of them touring.

38 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I a way I agree in a way I think using post that high with nothing really new the year later defines an easy booking. There are bands I'd prefer to Foos though, latest outputs are very poor imo.

But on the flip reverse with an act of your interest in Slipknot, them for download was boring and predictable, you knew it was coming. Last time they played I believe it was said they should just wait a year too. That is essentially the equal of when V Fest booked Kasabian, KOL and The Killers on rotation and T joined in too. It has at least been 7 years for Foos and the last time plus no one was it coming really as up until a certain point we weren't aware of them touring.

Yeah but it’s Slipknot. 

4 hours ago, Dangerbreaks said:

The amount of dislike I see towards ADTR on this forum from some people is crazy. Of course they're big enough to sub, they'll almost certainly be headlining download in the near future and it's not like they're under the weakest headliner. Yes they're probably smaller than Royal Blood but compared to the usual size for subs they're fine. 

Its more because they are below average size for a sub, don't frequent reading (aren't a band like tdcc or courteeners or someone who play all the time) and few of us listen to adtr - like some people hadn't even heard of them before they were announced. I bet well over half the audience will never have even heard of ADTR. Obviously it was for the foos rock day kinda thing but Foos alone would have sold that well anyway I think the slot should have been a rapper/pop act and then give more indie/rock on saturday as the days are so badly balanced.

Edited by gfa