2019 festival

I've done a tonne of maths whilst bored at work today, plotting algorithms etc. I put in every headliner from the last 10 years and there progression up through the festival over the preceding 15 years. Also looking at album releases/sales, popularity at the time and todays current album and charts and downloads. I found a clear progression through the ranks in order to headline, generally the bands play once every 3-4 years on average. Over half of the bands have played the festival 3 or more times rising up through the stages FR, NME, up the spots on the Main Stage. Half of the headliners had headlined previously. Between 4 and 6 years before - since 2000.

So based on my algorithm of releases in the time between 1/1/18 and 1/6/19, headliners around 2013-15, secret set predictions, mega stars etc...

Bring Me the Horizon - 87%

1975 - 84%

Arctic Monkeys - 79%

Biffy Clyro - 78%

Drake - 76%

Imagine Dragons - 74%

Mumford and Sons - 70%

Kanye West - 69%

Bastille - 65%

21 Pilots - 65%

QOTS - 64%

Paramore - 63%

Green Day - 51%

Blink 182 - 48%

All Time Low - 45%

You me at Six - 43%

Some interesting names came up for sub: Tyler the Creator (assuming that he i allowed back), BBK all of them, George Ezra.

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

I've done a tonne of maths whilst bored at work today, plotting algorithms etc. I put in every headliner from the last 10 years and there progression up through the festival over the preceding 15 years. Also looking at album releases/sales, popularity at the time and todays current album and charts and downloads. I found a clear progression through the ranks in order to headline, generally the bands play once every 3-4 years on average. Over half of the bands have played the festival 3 or more times rising up through the stages FR, NME, up the spots on the Main Stage. Half of the headliners had headlined previously. Between 4 and 6 years before - since 2000.

So based on my algorithm of releases in the time between 1/1/18 and 1/6/19, headliners around 2013-15, secret set predictions, mega stars etc...

1975 - 84%

Arctic Monkeys - 79%

Biffy Clyro - 78%

Drake - 76%

Imagine Dragons - 74%

Mumford and Sons - 70%

Kanye West - 69%

Bastille - 65%

21 Pilots - 65%

QOTS - 64%

Paramore - 63%

Green Day - 51%

Blink 182 - 48%

All Time Low - 45%

You me at Six - 43%

Some interesting names came up for sub: Tyler the Creator (assuming that he i allowed back), BBK all of them, George Ezra.

Interesting! I honestly don’t know what we’re gonna get at this point. I thought BMTH were nailed on for Download, but the fact they’ve pushed back their album release to same day as end of 1975 tour as stated above has thrown a spanner in the works in terms of my prediction - as well as the predictions on the Download forum. In all honesty, I think we’ll get 2 of what you’ve mentioned (3 if we have a coheadline with The 1975 and whoever, possibly 21P) then a complete surprise, but perhaps not a shock? Maybe the return of the Biff? Who knows.

2 hours ago, Chad888 said:

1975 - 84%

Arctic Monkeys - 79%

Biffy Clyro - 78%

Drake - 76%

Imagine Dragons - 74%

Mumford and Sons - 70%

Kanye West - 69%

Bastille - 65%

21 Pilots - 65%

QOTS - 64%

Paramore - 63%

Green Day - 51%

Blink 182 - 48%

All Time Low - 45%

You me at Six - 43%

Gonna be a lot of headliners next year if Green Day are clocking in at odds on to be one, behind 12 even more likely acts. Either this is shite trolling (my algorithm puts the likelihood of this at about 99%), or you don't know what percentages mean.

10 hours ago, Odessa said:

Gonna be a lot of headliners next year if Green Day are clocking in at odds on to be one, behind 12 even more likely acts. Either this is shite trolling (my algorithm puts the likelihood of this at about 99%), or you don't know what percentages mean.

Greenday performed in the golden zone for returning headliners. Thats why they are there.

My top 5 picks most likely, that I would be content with:

BMTH, new album, a lot of airplay, around 5 appearances in 10 years working there way up the mainstage, latest appearance was 2nd on Main Stage before a secret set which bands usually headline after.

Arctic Monkeys are a legacy band now, they headline wherever they go. They passed up on R+L this year but I can see they won't be to in demand following that Bowie imitation album and they will still draw a hell of a lot of people from Glastonbury fence.

Biffy Clyro another legacy band, they have more bangers and seem to be bigger than Foo Fighters in the UK. There latest album hit UK Gold. Worked there way up R+L stages growing with the festival (i.e. Kings of Leon announcement last year) and they fit into the golden zone 4-5 years till next Headline slot since last.

Mumford and Sons, Previous headliner, new album coming out soon and the singles are already getting a lot of airplay. They have gone number 1 platinum on all albums released and this one like it wont be different. I dont think their music is great but i enjoy it and can see the folky feel good as a way to end the festival.

Imagine Dragons, another that has been bled up the chain starting at low down spots working their way up to subbing main stage, got a good selection now of well known stadium anthem songs that get a lot of airplay targeted towards the 15-20 demographic.

Friday - Bring me the Horizon / Mumford and Sons

Saturday - Arctic Monkeys

Sunday - Imagine Dragons / Biffy Clyro

Greenday did a secret set at R&L, headlined the year after.

Foals did the same.

BMTH did a secret tent set this year, could that mean they are set to headline 2019? 

Just a thought.

Also, people were saying Foo Fighters might finally do Download due to them being at festivals around that time but never got announced for Download. Could that make them more likely for R&L? 

1 minute ago, The All Round Ball :| said:

Greenday did a secret set at R&L, headlined the year after.

Foals did the same.

BMTH did a secret tent set this year, could that mean they are set to headline 2019? 

Just a thought.

Also, people were saying Foo Fighters might finally do Download due to them being at festivals around that time but never got announced for Download. Could that make them more likely for R&L? 

Queens of the Stone Age dud a secret set in 2017, but didn't headline in 2018