2019 festival

The act I'm least confident they'll be there is 21P tbh. Maybe something like:

The 1975 / Arctic Monkeys / BMTH + The Prodigy

EDIT: Tbh I just realised Prodigy would be touring a new album too anyway so don't really count as a random headliner, but I don't think Blink would be up to coheadline. Maybe no BMTH?

Edited by Mattymooz

11 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

The 1975 / Arctic Monkeys / BMTH + The Prodigy

EDIT: Tbh I just realised Prodigy would be touring a new album too anyway so don't really count as a random headliner, but I don't think Blink would be up to coheadline. Maybe no BMTH?

They won't have both AM and Blink in the same year, they both headlined in 2014.

39 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Why?

BMTH sercet set to me suggests they'll be at R&L (plus them saying stuff like "see you next year" also suggests it).

Given what 19liam75 said about The 1975 (as well as them previously saying that R&L is their favourite fest) suggests they'll likely be playing.

Can't see Glasto wanting AM on the second year of their tour given the other options (more likely for a suprise appearance in 2020 for the 50th birthday) as well as the Pukkelpop date move suggesting a bigger act later in the year. I guess AM could do IOW or something instead tho.

21P, other than the new album, really have nothing to suggest they'll be there. They already have a really extensive EU tour in Februray/March so they dont necesarily have to rush back (tho iirc it has sold very well).

EDIT: In saying that I was so sure we'd get Foos Kendeick and Royal Blood last year too so who the fuck knows

37 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

They won't have both AM and Blink in the same year, they both headlined in 2014.

Good point

Edited by Mattymooz

3 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I know it's already been discussed but I definitely think there'll be a headliner that's less expected at the expense of one of BMTH/TOP/AM/The 1975. Every year there's a headliner that hasn't played any gigs in the UK in over a year (apart from the odd special show/other summer gigs at a similar time to R&L). The last few years there's been Kings of Leon, Emimen, RHCP, Metallica, Blink-182 etc. who all fit this trend.

TOP, BMTH, AM and The 1975 all have arena tours coming up. I think Green Day or Blink-182 would be the most likely as a 'wildcard' headliner who won't have played a UK gig in over a year, probably at the expense of AM.

With that in mind: Bring Me the Horizon / Twenty One Pilots (coheadline), Green Day, The 1975.

Aye today I'd been leaning back towards Arctic Monkeys at Glasto for some reason, and was thinking Green Day to replace them in my R&L prediction.

6 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Can't see Glasto wanting AM on the second year of their tour given the other options (more likely for a suprise appearance in 2020 for the 50th birthday) as well as the Pukkelpop date move suggesting a bigger act later in the year. I guess AM could do IOW or something instead tho.

Arctic Monkeys more likely to do a secret set that would get them way less exposure and presumably way less money? Why?

8 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

21P, other than the new album, really have nothing to suggest they'll be there. They already have a really extensive EU tour in Februray/March so they dont necesarily have to rush back (tho iirc it has sold very well).

A band who are perfect for the R&L demographic, with a new album, who are newly headline-sized and haven't been at R&L since they were only big enough to sub the second stage, with realistically no other major festivals who'd book them to headline.

Seems like a complete no-brainer to me unless R&L doesn't fit into their tour logistically.

16 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

BMTH sercet set to me suggests they'll be at R&L (plus them saying stuff like "see you next year" also suggests it).

Given what 19liam75 said about The 1975 (as well as them previously saying that R&L is their favourite fest) suggests they'll likely be playing.

But 21P's tour being in February/March suggests that they're more likely to be back in Europe for late Summer fests rather than early, similar to FOB & Kendrick this year. Maybe 21P won't do any UK festivals, but I can't really see a much better fit for them if they do. They got a really good crowd in 2016 and have only grown since then (tour has sold well too, as you say) so I'm sure FR will be interested in booking them as headliners.

Can't see why they couldn't have BMTH/21P coheadlining one night, The 1975 another and then a returning headliner who hasn't played in the UK for a while for the third night (Green Day, Blink or someone else unexpected).

Like you say, AM could be at Glasto, IoW or just do their own outdoor gigs or something.

6 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Aye today I'd been leaning back towards Arctic Monkeys at Glasto for some reason, and was thinking Green Day to replace them in my R&L prediction.

Yeah not really sure where to place AM tbh, but for now I'm not expecting them to be at R&L.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

1 hour ago, 19liam75 said:

Take this as you will and it could mean nothing, but there is a guy on twitter who is genuinely one of the 1975's biggest fans has been for years and is kind of know for that. He saw Matt Healy a few weeks ago and apparently told him that they aren't doing Glasto next year (he mainly wanted to know as apparently he its his 21st Bday at the time of Glasto) 

efest.jpg

The that'll probably mean that The 1975 are getting the bump up to outright headliner as that's what it would probably take for them not to do Glastonbury at all. They are too big for co-headliner really as has been said and the only reason I'd suggest them do it is for that reason.

Given that I'd probably go for Drake/BMTH+TOP/The 1975. TOP are very borderline though being able to di t themselves but BMTH are going to sub it again after a much bigger tour.

BMTH/TOP

Green Day

The 1975

I'm liking these Green Day suggestions, would obviously be the perfect fit for me out of the irrelevant/random rock band booking. With the right setlist this show would bang, they don't play any material from the trilogy anyway and they play a long enough setlist to fit in all of most peoples favourites. I have a great time at their live shows, would much prefer this than the likes of blink etc.

26 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Arctic Monkeys more likely to do a secret set that would get them way less exposure and presumably way less money? Why?

Because then at least they get the status of saying that they played the 50th anniversary. I dont expect them to headline on this album considering they did Glasto on the last one etc. so its that or they just wait till like 2021 when they have a new album and headline then imo.

29 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

A band who are perfect for the R&L demographic, with a new album, who are newly headline-sized and haven't been at R&L since they were only big enough to sub the second stage, with realistically no other major festivals who'd book them to headline.

Seems like a complete no-brainer to me unless R&L doesn't fit into their tour logistically.

Agreed, its a no brainer but this is FR we talking about. They seem the least likely of the 4 imo, and this was off the basis we'll get one wtf headliner.

27 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

But 21P's tour being in February/March suggests that they're more likely to be back in Europe for late Summer fests rather than early, similar to FOB & Kendrick this year. Maybe 21P won't do any UK festivals, but I can't really see a much better fit for them if they do. They got a really good crowd in 2016 and have only grown since then (tour has sold well too, as you say) so I'm sure FR will be interested in booking them as headliners.

Can't see why they couldn't have BMTH/21P coheadlining one night, The 1975 another and then a returning headliner who hasn't played in the UK for a while for the third night (Green Day, Blink or someone else unexpected).

Like you say, AM could be at Glasto, IoW or just do their own outdoor gigs or something.

Yeah not really sure where to place AM tbh, but for now I'm not expecting them to be at R&L.

Agreed with comments on 21P, seems like a logical booking, but I doubt FR would want to go for 3 new headliners without a more established one propping them up (e.g. KOL this year, so I guess Green Day would fit but why would they be back or more likely than AM). However they could drop one of BMTH/21P/1975 and still be fine, let alone replacing one with a random unexpected act

1 minute ago, VCK said:

I was thinking this. They always seem to get a well established headliner that no one really expects. KOL, RHCP, Metallica, bands of that ilk.

I'd have thought they'd still try to use Killers somewhere whilst they are still kinda touring this album (e.g. RiZe) and then have them return in 2020 personally

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

(e.g. KOL this year, so I guess Green Day would fit but why would they be back or more likely than AM).

Because it would (potentially) be their first UK gig/festival since 2017 which would shift a lot of day/weekend tickets. TOP, BMTH, AM and The 1975 all have arena tours coming up so there wouldn't be one headliner that fans wouldn't have already had the chance to see in the past year.

Also you answered your own question saying 'why would they be back or more likely' etc, this is FR who always make booking that you wouldn't expect/seem less logical.

Just now, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Because it would (potentially) be their first UK gig/festival since 2017 which would shift a lot of day/weekend tickets. TOP, BMTH, AM and The 1975 all have arena tours coming up so there wouldn't be one headliner that fans wouldn't have already had the chance to see in the past year.

Also you answered your own question saying 'why would they be back or more likely' etc, this is FR who always make booking that you wouldn't expect/seem less logical.

But aren't Green Day known for taking long breaks between tours? And yes I agree that there will likely be at least one odd booking, I just at the moment think AM are more likely than 21P, so 21P would be the more likely act to be replaced.

Didnt expect this to kick up such a debate about it lol

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

But aren't Green Day known for taking long breaks between tours? And yes I agree that there will likely be at least one odd booking, I just at the moment think AM are more likely than 21P, so 21P would be the more likely act to be replaced.

Didnt expect this to kick up such a debate about it lol

Green Day's last show was in November 2017 so it will be over a years break whenever they come back. They've also reportedly been rehearsing Dookie in full which seems to suggest they'll definitely be touring next year for its 25th anniversary.

So do you not expect TOP to do any UK fests next year? To me it seems like AM will have a lot more options than TOP next summer, and I also reckon R&L will be more likely to ask TOP than AM. I know that's just speculation, but I'd say out of the 4 (TOP, AM, BMTH & The 1975) The 1975 & TOP seem to be the most likely to be booked.

2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Green Day's last show was in November 2017 so it will be over a years break whenever they come back. They've also reportedly been rehearsing Dookie in full which seems to suggest they'll definitely be touring next year for its 25th anniversary.

So do you not expect TOP to do any UK fests next year? To me it seems like AM will have a lot more options than TOP next summer, and I also reckon R&L will be more likely to ask TOP than AM. I know that's just speculation, but I'd say out of the 4 (TOP, AM, BMTH & The 1975) The 1975 & TOP seem to be the most likely to be booked.

Well imo thats even less likely for Green Day then, surely they'd be more likely for Download or something if they are doing Dookie in full (can't kmagine it would be that popular for R&L demo).

I dont think TOP have to do a UK fest. Obviously I think they would if they could, but as you say R&L is really their only option. I just think as a American band they could easily say they'll leave it this year and come back in 2020 (as they'll have already done EU earlier in the year)

And just looking at twitter or instagram or speaking to younger friends, loads of people seem to be obssesed with going to see AM, I dont see why R&L wouldnt wanna book them just on the basis they may be somewhere else in the UK too. They don't really have that many other options in terms of fests imo, IOW and BST (as I doubt they'll do Glasto or their own outdoor shows). I dunno it just seems like a nobrainer to me, booking AM seems to just be a lot of guarenteed sales for the pist GCSE demograohic (only really rivaled by Eminem)

22 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Because then at least they get the status of saying that they played the 50th anniversary. I dont expect them to headline on this album considering they did Glasto on the last one etc. so its that or they just wait till like 2021 when they have a new album and headline then imo.

Agreed, its a no brainer but this is FR we talking about. They seem the least likely of the 4 imo, and this was off the basis we'll get one wtf headliner.

Agreed with comments on 21P, seems like a logical booking, but I doubt FR would want to go for 3 new headliners without a more established one propping them up (e.g. KOL this year, so I guess Green Day would fit but why would they be back or more likely than AM). However they could drop one of BMTH/21P/1975 and still be fine, let alone replacing one with a random unexpected act

Do you really think bands care that much about playing the anniversary of a festival? Hell, if Arctic Monkeys want to play the 50th anniversary then they'll headline it lol, why would they be doing a secret set? Not expecting them to play on this album tour is fair, but like you say they'd then just wait and headline it when they have another album.

I don't really see how they're the least likely of the four. Arctic Monkeys could easily be in demand from other festivals (mainly Glasto and IOW) and could even make more money doing their own outdoor shows (not that I expect this as they haven't shown anything to indicate they wanna play stadiums). BMTH are probably less popular and less suited to R&L than Twenty One Pilots are and FR have another festival suitable for BMTH which has a very limited pool of headliners in Download. Twenty One Pilots have no other realistic options and are at the perfect point in their career to headline R&L, as opposed to BMTH who have been a nearly-there headliner for a few years and tbh haven't done anything to make them a great booking for 2019.

2 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Well imo thats even less likely for Green Day then, surely they'd be more likely for Download or something if they are doing Dookie in full (can't kmagine it would be that popular for R&L demo).

I dont think TOP have to do a UK fest. Obviously I think they would if they could, but as you say R&L is really their only option. I just think as a American band they could easily say they'll leave it this year and come back in 2020 (as they'll have already done EU earlier in the year)

And just looking at twitter or instagram or speaking to younger friends, loads of people seem to be obssesed with going to see AM, I dont see why R&L wouldnt wanna book them just on the basis they may be somewhere else in the UK too. They don't really have that many other options in terms of fests imo, IOW and BST (as I doubt they'll do Glasto or their own outdoor shows). I dunno it just seems like a nobrainer to me, booking AM seems to just be a lot of guarenteed sales for the pist GCSE demograohic (only really rivaled by Eminem)

Arctics are defo more likely for Glasto, it's their 2nd year touring but all they'll have done in the UK is an arena tour and TRNSMT which is fine and nothing different to another big headline doing a arena tour 1st and getting that clear.

2 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Mate they literally played Dookie in fulk at R&L a few years ago.

But yeah they most likely wouldn't do Dookie again at R&L, it's just evidence that they are likely to be on the road next Summer.

And R&L have never booked headliners who are headlining other UK fests, which is why it's relevant that Arctic Monkeys have other options.

Why would Arctic Monkeys do BST rather than their own outdoor shows? BST seems to have hit on a decent formula with lineups aimed at older music fans and families, anyway.

8 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

They already did it at R&L in 2013. I guess that could make them less likely in the fact that they've already done the novelty at R&L, but I was thinking something along the lines of what Dental suggested the other day (doing a Dookie tour earlier in the year and doing some later EU festivals as a greatest hits set to garner interest before they drop a new album). Anyway, the point I was making is that it does seem like they'll be active next year.

I'm not even dead cert on Green Day doing it, more the point that TOP & The 1975 seem shoo-ins for me, which makes the third headliner more likely to be a returning headliner that hasn't done any gigs in the UK over the last year (Green Day and Blink were the first that came to mind).

6 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Why?

Perhaps I worded that wrong, but AM seem to have more options in the UK next summer than TOP have, so I reckon AM could be booked up somewhere else whereas R&L could have TOP as an exclusive.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

I don't think IOW will be competition for the Arctics since they're both under LN and they'd probably want them at the bigger fest. They can have Muse, Florence and some old c**t. Phil Collins or someone.

I reckon Yeezy's in the mix. Just got a hunch. Would Kids See Ghosts be able to play and not headline or am I way off there?

1 minute ago, Steve1000 said:

I reckon Yeezy's in the mix. Just got a hunch. Would Kids See Ghosts be able to play and not headline or am I way off there?

If Kids See Ghosts are doing fests next summer then I imagine they'll headline Wireless. If it's Kanye on his own then he could headline R&L, yeah.

6 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Do you really think bands care that much about playing the anniversary of a festival? Hell, if Arctic Monkeys want to play the 50th anniversary then they'll headline it lol, why would they be doing a secret set? Not expecting them to play on this album tour is fair, but like you say they'd then just wait and headline it when they have another album.

I expect Alex Turner would quite like to play the 50th anniversary for bragging rights etc. I defo dont think Glasto would want them to headline on the 3rd summer of touring, so it would have ti be a smaller slot (similar to the killers? Ot it could just be a TLSP thing)

8 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I don't really see how they're the least likely of the four. Arctic Monkeys could easily be in demand from other festivals (mainly Glasto and IOW) and could even make more money doing their own outdoor shows (not that I expect this as they haven't shown anything to indicate they wanna play stadiums). BMTH are probably less popular and less suited to R&L than Twenty One Pilots are and FR have another festival suitable for BMTH which has a very limited pool of headliners in Download. Twenty One Pilots have no other realistic options and are at the perfect point in their career to headline R&L, as opposed to BMTH who have been a nearly-there headliner for a few years and tbh haven't done anything to make them a great booking for 2019.

Well I stated all the reasons for this previously lol and I cba to type it out again (as I'm on my phone and I already apparently have 2 other people reply to this since I started typing). But surely if anything R&L being TOP only choice makes them less likely? R&L doesnt have to compete with anyone, they can just get them next year and the difference would be minimal

8 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Arctics are defo more likely for Glasto, it's their 2nd year touring but all they'll have done in the UK is an arena tour and TRNSMT which is fine and nothing different to another big headline doing a arena tour 1st and getting that clear.

But they headlined off the back of their last album. Sure Muse and Cildplay headline it regularlly so I guess AM could to but I dont think theyre that much of a shoe in