2019 festival

9 minutes ago, TOMHAMPTON said:

Tbh I reckon Post Malone could possibly be the usual rap headliner next year. Drew a big crowd this year and his set was very impressive for as short as it was.

I'd say him and Travis are strong contenders to headline 2020 for sure. Not sure how good it'd look getting an act who played 5th down one year, headline the next with most likely no new material. Wait for another album and yeah he could easily headline.

1 hour ago, TheWaters said:

I'd say him and Travis are strong contenders to headline 2020 for sure. Not sure how good it'd look getting an act who played 5th down one year, headline the next with most likely no new material. Wait for another album and yeah he could easily headline.

They did it with The Strokes, albeit way back in 2001/2002.

Also The Darkness went from 4th down in 2003 to headlining 2004.

(Although both acts were bumped up the bill, but you know...)

7 hours ago, VCK said:

They did it with The Strokes, albeit way back in 2001/2002.

Also The Darkness went from 4th down in 2003 to headlining 2004.

(Although both acts were bumped up the bill, but you know...)

Defo a reason to think Post could play high main next year and following his crowd would be an easy booking. Sticking him under Drake sounds the best idea but it's actually better to do under someone like TOP or BMTH...something like that as a day you think may not sell as well otherwise will probably have the crowd attending for the weekend due to Drake interest.

19 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

The Hunna are way too big for the FR Stage.

Definitely. They headlined 2 years ago and have only got bigger since. In my opinion they’d be big enough to play 3rd main with the current crowd if you compare them to The Vaccines and The Kooks who did it this year. 

17 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

Oof, there go The Orwells out of my 2019 prediction lmao, had them to sub the FR.

I saw them supporting Weezer last year and they remain the single worst band I’ve ever seen. The singer was absolutely infuriating, almost as if he had googled ‘how to be a rock star’ and copied every tired trope terribly. Fucking poser. 

12 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I saw them supporting Weezer last year and they remain the single worst band I’ve ever seen. The singer was absolutely infuriating, almost as if he had googled ‘how to be a rock star’ and copied every tired trope terribly. Fucking poser. 

I never actually saw them but have heard people saying they're shit live. Apparently they seemed fucked when they played Reading last year.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Between them and Starcrawler, you really don’t like rock and roll do you? :P

But yeah, I really liked their music and their live shows but fuck those creeps.

are people thinking one rap headliner is the standard now? can understand thinking so because of there being one two years in a row, but i don't think there's an appropriate rapper around next year like kendrick as of now. except maybe drake, who is quite hard to pin down in terms of touring cause he typically just does whatever he wants.

3 minutes ago, pepesilvia said:

are people thinking one rap headliner is the standard now? can understand thinking so because of there being one two years in a row, but i don't think there's an appropriate rapper around next year like kendrick as of now. except maybe drake, who is quite hard to pin down in terms of touring cause he typically just does whatever he wants.

I think a rap headliner will become standard yeah, but obviously if no one appropriate is available next year then it won't happen. Drake seems to be the most likely as you say. I guess Stormzy could if he's not doing Glastonbury and got new material out. The only others I can think would be Childish Gambino or Chance the Rapper who could potentially be billed as coheadliners.

4 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I think a rap headliner will become standard yeah, but obviously if no one appropriate is available next year then it won't happen. Drake seems to be the most likely as you say. I guess Stormzy could if he's not doing Glastonbury and got new material out. The only others I can think would be Childish Gambino or Chance the Rapper who could potentially be billed as coheadliners.

Kanye?

17 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Yeah of course, he completely slipped my mind.

Fwiw I agree with you about it not being a given. If they have something like Arctic Monkeys/The 1975/BMTH/Twenty One Pilots with a few high-profile hip-hop acts on the bill like Cardi B, A$AP Rocky, Tyler, etc. then I think they'll be fine in terms of hip-hop coverage 

33 minutes ago, pepesilvia said:

I dont think it's so much as a rap headliner and more a non-rock headliner (e.g. Disclosure in 2016). I think either 1975 (who are more poppy) or 21 Pilots (who are like a rock/rap/pop hybrid) could easily fulfil that role.

Hi guys, read an article about Green Day rehearsing the album Dookie since it's gonna be its 25th birthday net year (https://www.nme.com/news/music/green-day-rehearsing-dookie-full-anniversary-tour-2360239), do you think they're a contender for 2019? It'd sure be a strong booking, but is it really relevant ?

Edited by polnico

17 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I dont think it's so much as a rap headliner and more a non-rock headliner (e.g. Disclosure in 2016). I think either 1975 (who are more poppy) or 21 Pilots (who are like a rock/rap/pop hybrid) could easily fulfil that role.

i was thinking that as well, actually. TOP would probably fill that role as you say. right now im shooting for BMTH/TOP - AM - The 1975 but that'll probably change as the year goes on. wonder if the new announcement structure is gonna stick this year too.

6 minutes ago, polnico said:

Hi guys, read an article about Green Day rehearsing the album Dookie since it's gonna be its 25th birthday net year (https://www.nme.com/news/music/green-day-rehearsing-dookie-full-anniversary-tour-2360239), do you think they're a contender for 2019? It'd sure be a strong booking, but is it really relevant ?

They would be a strong contender if they hadn't already played the album in full last time they headlined in 2013. They'd basically be playing the exact same set again so would seem like a pointless booking. However this is R&L so you never know.

Personally I think one of Arctics, Green Day or Blink-182 will be there next year as there always seems to be a returning headliner at the festival. I'm leaning towards Arctics at this point, but of course none of them could be booked so who knows.

9 minutes ago, polnico said:

They already played Dookie in full when they headlined in 2013.

36 minutes ago, pepesilvia said:

i was thinking that as well, actually. TOP would probably fill that role as you say. right now im shooting for BMTH/TOP - AM - The 1975 but that'll probably change as the year goes on. wonder if the new announcement structure is gonna stick this year too.

Agreed, personally I'm sticking 1975 with the coheadline with TOP as i'm guessing they'll do Glasto as well (and thus coheadline like Foals in 2016)

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Between them and Starcrawler, you really don’t like rock and roll do you? :P

But yeah, I really liked their music and their live shows but fuck those creeps.

I really dislike the ‘Look at me I’m a rockstar and I’m drunk’ act. It’s so transparent and was well played out 30 years ago let alone today. It’s cringey. 

As for Green Day rehearsing Dookie, they’ve also rehearsed Insomniac recently (their best album by far) but I don’t think they’d be booked to play either in full at R&L. When they did Dookie in 2013 it was cool for 15 minutes but then you realised how flabby those songs sounded being played the Green Day of today and it became less awesome. 

Edited by Andre91