2019 festival

Tbf he isn’t saying they want to sound like 21P, he’s saying that 21P have got where they are by still sounding like 21P so BMTH want to do that too which is pretty rich considering how far they’ve gone. 

Of course Download would definitely still go for them. 

Edited by Andre91

BMTH's time at Download is at an end. They would have caused a riot previously had they been given the headline slot. Now they've gone all poppy it would be suicide. Unless they played There is a hell or similar in full.................

Think you guys are slightly deluded if you think Download are gonna dismiss a band popular among their clientele because they’ve compromised too much. Like who the fuck else is gonna ascend to headline slots? If that’s what bands have to do to be big enough then Download is gonna have to adapt. The festival is still very much their people; it’s not like changing styles is immediately gonna open them up to fans of other genres and when the band has already established its image it will only lessen their appeal to the crowds they already had - as Paramore learned, much to their chagrin.

• 2 weeks later...

Stormzy/Twenty One Pilots, The 1975, Bring Me the Horizon.

Probably too weak and probably needs a bigger hitter in there but those feel like the four most likely headliners to me.

Tbh I think it'd be better for them to go with that than to force in someone like Green Day or The Killers instead.

Maybe if Stormzy doesn't have a new album change it to BMTH/21P, Drake or Kanye (think Drake is more likely to be active of the two), The 1975.

35 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Stormzy/Twenty One Pilots, The 1975, Bring Me the Horizon.

I doubt they'd book 4 acts making their major festival headline debut in the same year. They've never really come close to doing anything like that before.

I reckon only 1 of BMTH or The 1975 will headline next year (unless they coheadline together). Say for example BMTH or The 1975 (possibly coheadlining with 21 Pilots) Friday, Drake or Kanye Saturday and then a returning headliner i.e. QOTSA, The Strokes, Foals, AM, Foos, Green Day etc Sunday. Think that'd be more likely.

Similarly to @PastRecedes, I'd go with BMTH/21Pilots, Kanye, Foals at this point. Could swap Kanye for Drake and Foals for The Strokes too.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

11 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I doubt they'd book 4 acts making their major festival headline debut in the same year. They've never really come close to doing anything like that before.

I reckon only 1 of BMTH or The 1975 will headline next year (unless they coheadline together). Say for example BMTH or The 1975 (possibly coheadlining with 21 Pilots) Friday, Drake or Kanye Saturday and then a returning headliner i.e. QOTSA, The Strokes, Foals, AM, Foos, Green Day etc Sunday. Think that'd be more likely.

Similarly to @PastRecedes, I'd go with BMTH/21Pilots, Kanye, Foals at this point. Could swap Kanye for Drake and Foals for The Strokes too.

I don't see what they'd gain by having Foals over The 1975, though, and this year they have 3 headliners making their major festival headline debut.

11 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Why couldn't they have BMTH and The 1975 but BMTH and Foals? The 1975 are definitely bigger.

Anyway are we certain that Stormzy's a headliner? I know he sold out Wireless rapidly but that might be down to the festival more than him. I wouldn't be against it happening, mind. 

I think it will be BMTH + TOP, someone big like Yeezy, Killers, Arctics or whoever then The 1975. 

I wouldn't rule out 5 headliners again also.

7 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I don't see what they'd gain by having Foals over The 1975, though, and this year they have 3 headliners making their major festival headline debut.

Only 2 are this year? Kendrick and Panic.

Say it was BMTH/21 Pilots, Drake and Foals, that would still be 3 headliners making their major debut as well, I just can't imagine they'd not have at least 1 returning headliner. Think the last time that happened was 09 with Radiohead, KoL and AM, but even then all three had headlined Glastonbury before.

I'd agree that it would make more sense having The 1975 headline over Foals again, but that's just the sort of thing that R&L seem to do innit... like Biffy returning in 2016 and FOB this year.

7 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Why couldn't they have BMTH and The 1975 but BMTH and Foals? The 1975 are definitely bigger.

Because Foals would be a returning headliner. My point wasn't really about the size of the acts as such, more that there's not been a year since 2009 where at least one headliner hasn't already headlined the festival before, and even in 2009 all 3 of those headliners had already done Glastonbury.

10 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Because Foals would be a returning headliner. My point wasn't really about the size of the acts as such, more that there's not been a year since 2009 where at least one headliner hasn't already headlined the festival before, and even in 2009 all 3 of those headliners had already done Glastonbury.

It doesn't matter though when the band being bumped is bigger than the returning headliner. It probably hasn't happened as recently because there hasn't been years recently with as many acts ready. Like Royal Blood, BMTH, Stormzy, 21P, Florence, The 1975, possibly even Chance are pretty much all ready I think.

19 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Only 2 are this year? Kendrick and Panic.

Say it was BMTH/21 Pilots, Drake and Foals, that would still be 3 headliners making their major debut as well, I just can't imagine they'd not have at least 1 returning headliner. Think the last time that happened was 09 with Radiohead, KoL and AM, but even then all three had headlined Glastonbury before.

I'd agree that it would make more sense having The 1975 headline over Foals again, but that's just the sort of thing that R&L seem to do innit... like Biffy returning in 2016 and FOB this year.

Oh yeah forgot FOB "headlined" in 2016. This festival is dumb as fuck.

And yeah that's why I said after I suggested that set that it probably needed a bigger hitter in there :P Those 4 on their own seem like the 4 most obvious acts to me but I think it's more likely on the whole that one of them will miss out in favour of another act. Maybe stick BMTH at Download and have 21P/Stormzy, The 1975, Foals. Maybe Stormzy won't have a second album out in time so have BMTH/21P, Drake, The 1975. Maybe The 1975 will headline Glastonbury instead so have Stormzy/21P, Foals, BMTH.

8 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

It doesn't matter though when the band being bumped is bigger than the returning headliner. It probably hasn't happened as recently because there hasn't been years recently with as many acts ready. Like Royal Blood, BMTH, Stormzy, 21P, Florence, The 1975, possibly even Chance are pretty much all ready I think.

I do kinda agree. I can't be arsed to look into this properly so this might be based off of assumptions, but surely in the past there's been more relevant acts that could have been booked to make their debut instead of a return of FOB/KoL this year, Kasabian/Muse last year, Biffy in 16, Blink in 14 etc. Perhaps it's just chance, but it seems like the festival actively try to get at least one returning headliner every year; maybe as a safe bet that previously sold well or maybe just because there weren't many other options.

You might be right though, considering the amount of acts that could conceivably be given the headline slot in 2019 then perhaps it'll be the first in a long time to feature all new headliners. Just don't see it personally.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

48 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I do kinda agree. I can't be arsed to look into this properly so this might be based off of assumptions, but surely in the past there's been more relevant acts that could have been booked to make their debut instead of a return of FOB/KoL this year, Kasabian/Muse last year, Biffy in 16, Blink in 14 etc. Perhaps it's just chance, but it seems like the festival actively try to get at least one returning headliner every year; maybe as a safe bet that previously sold well or maybe just because there weren't many other options.

You might be right though, considering the amount of acts that could conceivably be given the headline slot in 2019 then perhaps it'll be the first in a long time to feature all new headliners. Just don't see it personally.

Tbf last year the most predicted new headliners were Royal Blood and alt-J. Royal Blood's album probably came too late and their festival slots seemed to be booked without it in mind (e.g. 3rd down at Glasto) and the bookers had presumably heard Relaxer and knew it wasn't going to give alt-J the required push. Outside of those two I don't recall there being anyone suitable.

2016 and 2014 both already had 2 new headliners outside of Biffy/Blink and tbh it's probably rare that we have as many acts seemingly ready to step up as we do for 2019. Like this year there was Royal Blood and Kendrick but not a lot else (as evidenced by the most popular suggestions to co-headline with Royal Blood being Paramore and Florence). Out of BMTH, The 1975, Stormzy and Twenty One Pilots the only one I'm not totally sure on being big enough with a new album is Twenty One Pilots but I'd say they're more likely to make it than not; I don't really know enough about them but everyone on here seems pretty confident).

As I say though, I think we'll have someone in there who isn't a first time major festival headliner.

TBH I still aint sure on Stormzy either. I wouldn't say DJ Khaled of J Cole are close to headlining reading at this point if we are doing that comparison. I think he'd make a good sub, but not anything more than that.

For new headliners I'm down to:

- Catfish (new album out and some kind of exclusive as they headlined every other fest in britain this year it seems)

- 1975 (pretty much the one act I think are nailed on, theyre huge rn, will be back with a new album and target a similar crowd to FoB imo)

- 21P (will probably be back by next summer, depends how their new album is imo)

- BMTH (probably more likely for Download first imo)

- Swedish House Mafia (it's strongly rumoured they're back for Ultra this year. If the comeback is succesful could see them doing R&L)

- Drake (done Wireless before, obvs big enough)

For old headliners I have:

- blink-182 - ticks the Fall Out Boy box, would be coming off a Las Vegas residency so would probably be an exclusive performance like Muse, plus they missed out on the 4 year rule this year)

- Green Day (think it's unlikely their still about but maybe)

- Biffy (due a new album but aint sure they'll solo again)

- Foals (due a new album, probs bumped up to solo but could do V fest or IOW instead easily)

- The Killers (would be a bit weird as this would be the 3rd year touring this album but wouldnt put it past Killers or FR, would be a very KoL booking)

- QOTSA (may be back but probably more likely to sub at glasto if I had to guess)

- The Strokes (again more likely to do something like IOW imo)