2019 festival

47 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Added some other fests to this list cos I'm bored as fuck. Obvs dunno if TRNSMT will continue to be a 5 day thing or go back to the 1 weekend. Similarly with APE, dunno if they'll do the 'APE Presents' thing next year with more competition from Glastonbury, but I've assumed they will.

Glasto: The 1975, Arctic Monkeys, Madonna
R&L: Bring Me the Horizon / Twenty One Pilots, Kanye West, Foals
Download: A Day to Remember, Slipknot, Metallica
IoW: Florence & the Machine / The Prodigy, U2, The Strokes
TRNSMT: Florence & the Machine, Foals, Snow Patrol, Paolo Nutini, Biffy Clyro
Latitude: Frank Ocean, Kings of Leon, Chvrches
New V: Bastille, Drake, Major Lazer
Wireless: A$AP Rocky, Travis Scott, Boy Better Know
BST: The Smashing Pumpkins, Fleetwood Mac, Elton John, Justin Timberlake, Muse, Beyoncé
APE: Jack White, Portishead, Vampire Weekend, Ben Howard, Pixies, Disclosure
Parklife: Florence & the Machine, Childish Gambino

if 2019 festival season actually looked like this it'd be highly underwhelming. Obviously these are just predictions but none of these stand out to me as being really great (IoW would be the best out of these, although U2 seems like such an uninspired booking these days). I'd be especially disappointed if I was going to Glasto and that was what they came out with after a year out - AM is great but personally can't stand the 1975 and the thought of Madonna performing some of her songs in the state she's in now just makes me cringe. Compared to this year that'd actually be quite a strong R&L lineup but it's still pretty weak in general. Surely after having bands like Radiohead, Kasabian, The Killers and Arctic Monkeys TRNSMT would be aiming a bit higher than Paolo Nutini (even Snow Patrol is a weak headliner but at least they have somewhat of a "legacy" status). Tbh I don't know why I'm going into so much depth over a hypothetical lineup.

15 hours ago, thelemon said:

Paolo Nutini (even Snow Patrol is a weak headliner but at least they have somewhat of a "legacy" status). Tbh I don't know why I'm going into so much depth over a hypothetical lineup.

Paolo is Scottish though so he'd probably sell better there (similar to Biffy Clyro)

20 hours ago, thelemon said:

Surely after having bands like Radiohead, Kasabian, The Killers and Arctic Monkeys TRNSMT would be aiming a bit higher than Paolo Nutini (even Snow Patrol is a weak headliner but at least they have somewhat of a "legacy" status). Tbh I don't know why I'm going into so much depth over a hypothetical lineup.

But they've also got Stereophonics and Liam Gallagher headlining this year, so Paolo Nutini and Snow Patrol wouldn't be out of place, size-wise.

You would expect them to have one or two headliners bigger than the 5 predicted, mind (Muse the most obvious one).

3 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

But they've also got Stereophonics and Liam Gallagher headlining this year, so Paolo Nutini and Snow Patrol wouldn't be out of place, size-wise.

You would expect them to have one or two headliners bigger than the 5 predicted, mind (Muse the most obvious one).

I'm not sure that people aren't underrating Liam Gallagher's pulling power on this thread tbh. Not only is he headlining both TRNSMT and Benicassim this summer, but he also sold out Finsbury Park in seconds. Would not be at all shocked if he headlines Reading in 2019 or 2020.

On 23/02/2018 at 2:20 PM, dentalplan said:

Haim sold out some pretty big venues this morning. I thought they were dropping off but now I wonder if they could push on through to sub next year. Saying that, it's hardly likely they'll have a new album with their work rate.

Two instantly sold out nights at Ally Pally is.. interesting, given Something To Tell You pretty much bombed. Can certainly see them subbing next time they're around although you're quite right, it feels incredibly unlikely they'll have another album out this side of summer 2020.

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Bring Me The Horizon + Twenty One Pilots / Jamie XX / Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes 

Circa Waves 

The 1975 / HAIM / A$AP Rocky 

Tyler, The Creator 

Arctic Monkeys / Catfish and the Bottlemen / Everything Everything 

Mike Shinoda 

Poor Everything Everything, playing to a crowd waiting for that headliner-sub combo.

The 1975 // Stormzy // Killswitch Engage // Everything Everything

Enter Shikari

J Cole //  Chvrches // Mura Masa // Frank Carter & the Rattlesnakes

Blossoms

Foo Fighters // Catfish & the Bottlemen // Ella Eyre  // Dave

Tyler, the Creator

Think even this is too optimistic now with higher spots seemingly taken up my more mainstream artists but I doubt in a years time my prediction will look anything like this. Not a serious attempt as I wanted to put in some acts that people haven't necessarily suggested. 

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Killswitch would do well getting third down at DL these days, no chance they’d be anything close to that if they ever played R&L. 

True wanted a decent metal band at least that far up the lineup but you could probably replace them with charlie xcx looking at how the lineups are shaping up. 

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

J Cole is never headlining Reading and Leeds. And Ella Eyre was 7th down the main stage at V Festival last year. There's a reason why these things weren't being suggested. :P

I mean it would keep the trend of having a rap act every year that seemingly everyone is following and if it is indeed going more the way of 'what people are listening to', J Cole is as mainstream as you can get in the hip hop scene and arguably the same appeal to Kendrick fans. Would think he'd be more suitable than that of of Fall out boy or KoL nowadays. Maybe he could co-headline with Slaves as they seemingly don't trust Kendrick on his own :mellow:.

Admittedly, Ella Eyre was put in there to fill the female quota that they're focusing more on in the future. Couldn't see 14 out of the 15 being all male fronted. Even 13 felt too much.

7 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

I mean it would keep the trend of having a rap act every year that seemingly everyone is following and if it is indeed going more the way of 'what people are listening to', J Cole is as mainstream as you can get in the hip hop scene and arguably the same appeal to Kendrick fans. Would think he'd be more suitable than that of of Fall out boy or KoL nowadays.

I'd say Kanye, Drake or Stormzy are much more likely candidates for a rap headliner next year. J Cole would have no where near the same pull as Kendrick at R&L, and both FOB and KoL are much more suited to the festival.

11 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Couldn't see 14 out of the 15 being all male fronted. Even 13 felt too much.

If you're only listing the top 4 main and NME headliner each day then it's likely there won't be many female fronted acts from that small of a prediction. By comparison, this year there's only two in those slots (Dua Lipa 3rd, Wolf Alice NME headline). In my prediction for 2019 I've only got two female fronted acts in those slots as well (Pale Waves 4th, Chvrches NME headline). In 2017 there was only one (Haim NME headline). If they're trying to get more of a gender balance on the lineup then it will be achieved lower down on the bill, rather than boosting acts like Ella Eyre to 3rd main that no one really cares about.

25 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

I mean it would keep the trend of having a rap act every year that seemingly everyone is following and if it is indeed going more the way of 'what people are listening to', J Cole is as mainstream as you can get in the hip hop scene and arguably the same appeal to Kendrick fans. Would think he'd be more suitable than that of of Fall out boy or KoL nowadays. Maybe he could co-headline with Slaves as they seemingly don't trust Kendrick on his own :mellow:.

Admittedly, Ella Eyre was put in there to fill the female quota that they're focusing more on in the future. Couldn't see 14 out of the 15 being all male fronted. Even 13 felt too much.

I know but it was jokes that you put in Ella Eyre who nobody’s heard from for two or three years. :P

J Cole is definitely not ‘as mainstream as you can get in the hip hop scene’. If anything, in the UK, he’s only big in hip hop circles and has failed to crack the mainstream, and a significant portion of Kendrick fans could barely name a song he’s done.

Edited by dentalplan

1 hour ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I'd say Kanye, Drake or Stormzy are much more likely candidates for a rap headliner next year. J Cole would have no where near the same pull as Kendrick at R&L, and both FOB and KoL are much more suited to the festival.

Not buying these Kanye shouts but the other 2 I can see happening. I wanted a bit of a curveball headliner to see people's opinion on it.

1 hour ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

If you're only listing the top 4 main and NME headliner each day then it's likely there won't be many female fronted acts from that small of a prediction. By comparison, this year there's only two in those slots (Dua Lipa 3rd, Wolf Alice NME headline). In my prediction for 2019 I've only got two female fronted acts in those slots as well (Pale Waves 4th, Chvrches NME headline). In 2017 there was only one (Haim NME headline). If they're trying to get more of a gender balance on the lineup then it will be achieved lower down on the bill, rather than boosting acts like Ella Eyre to 3rd main that no one really cares about.

Ella Eyre was a bad shout of course, but I couldn't think of any other acts really. I don't think Pale Waves rise is going to be that meteoric but definitely could establish themselves as a high billing act post 2020 if I was going to guess. Florence would be a great booking as a headliner but I honestly don't see it happening anytime soon.

The reason I put at least two is because I feel  R+L are going to push female acts up the lineup so that they can't be blamed for just dumping a load of female acts low down on the bill in order to get around the equality situation. I feel this '50/50' thing is going to be across the board rather than have significantly more women on earlier then the adverse later. 

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

I know but it was jokes that you put in Ella Eyre who nobody’s heard from for two or three years. :P

J Cole is definitely not ‘as mainstream as you can get in the hip hop scene’. If anything, in the UK, he’s only big in hip hop circles and has failed to crack the mainstream, and a significant portion of Kendrick fans could barely name a song he’s done.

Can we forget Ella Eyre please? Just pretend like it never happened.

Possibly. I just remember him selling out Manchester instantly as well as his Wireless day selling out the quickest iirc which shows he has some sort of draw. I thought as nobody was expecting FoB or KoL this year I'd try throw a bit of a curveball into my prediction.

6 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Possibly. I just remember him selling out Manchester instantly as well as his Wireless day selling out the quickest iirc which shows he has some sort of draw. I thought as nobody was expecting FoB or KoL this year I'd try throw a bit of a curveball into my prediction.

Think his actually sold out last, and was cheapest, but also it was the only one that's a typical work day.

But anyway, fair enough introducing new names to the mix as we're already getting to a point where the predictions for next year look similar and its not like our similar lineups for this year actually came close. I personally think J Cole would probably sub and be a bit of a niche sub at that but who knows what R+L think.

God they need to book Kanye though.

I think The Strokes might headline in 2019.  A run of Blossoms > Catfish > The Strokes would work well.

BMTH/21 Pilots, Kanye, The Strokes would be decent headliners. I think they'll go for BMTH or The 1975 but I'm not sure they'd want both in the same year.