2019 festival

31 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Downfall should always be the closer. Opening with 2nd Sucks into Right Back At It Again was brilliant. I love the two songs personally but I don’t think they should have gone with both Sticks & Bricks and Better Off This Way back to back. I was right down the front and so many people didn’t know those two songs. I really don’t think playing that Marshmello song did them too many favours. I get playing Degenerates, though. If I could have chosen the setlist, it wouldn’t have been too dissimilar: 

1. 2nd Sucks 

2. Right Back At It Again 

3. Paranoia 

4. Better Off This Way 

5. Degenrates 

6. Mr Highway’s Thinkin’ About The End 

7. Have Faith In Me 

8. I’m Made of Wax Larry... 

9. Sometimes You’re The Hammer, Sometimes You’re The Nail 

10. All Signs Point To Lauderdale 

11. All I Want 

12. The Plot To Bomb The Panhandle 

13. If It Means A Lot To You 

14. The Downfall Of Us All 

Although Degenerates got way less of a reaction,  when they are putting the Marshmello song in it when supposedly isn't their song....they just feature, in a 55 minute set then it tells you a lot. I was in a bloody queue for slowest ice cream van ever when ADTR started and as much as obviously I didn't want to....it would have been nice to think shit I wish I was in the crowd for that song....I did get in the crowd whilst it was on.

I think it can be opener just as easy, also All I want.....something a bit more accessible.

2 hours ago, Dangerbreaks said:

I assume you're talking about Reading so I can't really compare but at Leeds My Hero was probably the best song they did imo. Bringing out his daughter to play it with him probably helped tbf. 

Yup, they did some awful chatty intro instead of the iconic drums and then basically jammed the rest of it. Utterly terrible

2 hours ago, Dangerbreaks said:

I assume you're talking about Reading so I can't really compare but at Leeds My Hero was probably the best song they did imo. Bringing out his daughter to play it with him probably helped tbf. 

Yup, they did some awful chatty intro instead of the iconic drums and then basically jammed the rest of it. Utterly terrible

On 8/30/2019 at 12:09 AM, jamieaslee said:

If 1975's next album gets to no.1 are they as big as AM were when they first headlined Glasto? I'd argue they already are as big as they were back then

Nah, it's not even close, the hype around Arctic Monkeys was crazy between 2005 and 2007 or so. The 1975 while popular, it's not even in the same league, Arctic's were breaking records that had been in place since Oasis set them in the mid nineties. Not doubting the part where the 1975 could headline but they aren't as big as the arctic monkeys were in that initial era.

18 hours ago, Benj said:

Highlights for me in no particular order

1975 (in fact deffo in particular order in that case)

21 Pilots

Post Malone

Pup

Press Club

Dreamers

Sea Girls

Rick Astley

Lowlights-

Too Hot

Charlie XCX

Foo Fighters (been there done that now so dull, complete same old same old, nothing new at all, bar absolutely murdering My Hero, WHY DAVE WHY? Its one of my favourite ever songs)

Guess they did what you expect, theyre done for me though, just seen them too much, 21 Pilots were so, so much fresher and more entertaining on a song and interaction level

Regarding the Foo Fighters think it's just the nature of the tour, I found them to be very similar at Reading to how they were at London Stadium (loved the mosh pits, wasn't my favourite performance) however the summer before at Glastonbury they were amazing.

On 8/29/2019 at 7:33 PM, CRW5252 said:

I don't think Foals are big enough to headline Glastonbury at the moment. They were meant to play Boardmasters this year which is a considerably smaller festival. 1975 are a good shout though, think they are in with a good chance.

Disagree with this, Foals did headline a few smaller festivals this year but were booked before the latest album which is widely seen as their best and goes down incredibly live. Also Stormzy went from subbing Boardmasters to headlining Glastonbury with just one album and a few singles. Foals have another album out this Autumn, and their secret set went down really well at glastonbury this year, if they’re ever going to headline I think 2020 will be the year

3 hours ago, Billjames7 said:

Disagree with this, Foals did headline a few smaller festivals this year but were booked before the latest album which is widely seen as their best and goes down incredibly live. Also Stormzy went from subbing Boardmasters to headlining Glastonbury with just one album and a few singles. Foals have another album out this Autumn, and their secret set went down really well at glastonbury this year, if they’re ever going to headline I think 2020 will be the year

I can't see it. They just don't have much of a mainstream following. I don't think their stock has gotten any bigger since they coheadlined Reading a few years ago. If their new album is hugely successful then they are in with a chance. If not, I think they would just sub at Glastonbury if they played. 

Stormzy is a bigger name than Foals. He is also the poster boy for grime music which made him a landmark booking for the festival. 

6 hours ago, Billjames7 said:

Is it widely seen as their best though? I think if you ask most people they’d say their best is Antidotes or Total Life Forever, personally I’d say What Went Down.  I haven’t seen many shouts for the one being their best yet though, although it is incredibly good (I am a huge foals fanboy tho so I love everything they’ve put out).

I think the upcoming album will give them that little push to be known as a comfortable headline act at most festivals and give them even more of a popularity boost, although I’m not sure if a Glastonbury headline is on the cards.

20 hours ago, TheWaters said:

Is it widely seen as their best though? I think if you ask most people they’d say their best is Antidotes or Total Life Forever, personally I’d say What Went Down.  I haven’t seen many shouts for the one being their best yet though, although it is incredibly good (I am a huge foals fanboy tho so I love everything they’ve put out).

I think the upcoming album will give them that little push to be known as a comfortable headline act at most festivals and give them even more of a popularity boost, although I’m not sure if a Glastonbury headline is on the cards.

I think the fact it's difficult to decide which album is their best just shows how consistent they are. Black Bull is great and I expect a few more bangers off the new album too. One of the best live bands right now.

I can see them doing Glasto this year (mainly due to the secret set going really well) and RnL next. - with The 1975 doing 2021 Glasto.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 7:12 PM, robillustrates said:

Nah, it's not even close, the hype around Arctic Monkeys was crazy between 2005 and 2007 or so. The 1975 while popular, it's not even in the same league, Arctic's were breaking records that had been in place since Oasis set them in the mid nineties. Not doubting the part where the 1975 could headline but they aren't as big as the arctic monkeys were in that initial era.

Fair enough! I'm a little too young to remember the hype for AM back then, but now you mention the records they broke of course it was on another scale

13 hours ago, jamieaslee said:

Fair enough! I'm a little too young to remember the hype for AM back then, but now you mention the records they broke of course it was on another scale

In a weird way I think due to my friends taste in music, I saw the rise of Bastille and the 1975 to be very similar, radio friendly, similar audience, rising up the festivals ranks, Bastille seemed to have stalled out around the sub level while the 1975 are making all the moves and have the backing to headline Glastonbury following on from headlining Reading.

The Arctic Monkeys went from having an amazing live reputation and overfilling the Festival Republic Stage (equivalent) in 2005, to subbing Muse in 06 and headlining Glastonbury in 2007 in just under 2 years. Two Number 1 singles and albums in that time and broke some first week sales records with the debut album in particular. Think it sold 1.8 million copies in the UK alone. It's harsh to compare but the 1975 have had zero top 10 singles and their albums have peaked around 550,000 copies (2013), AM released the same year sold over 1.2 million copies in the UK easily over double despite well past that mainstream peak.

I'm quoting wiki stats so I do apologise, thought it was interesting comparing them though.

Edited by robillustrates

11 hours ago, robillustrates said:

In a weird way I think due to my friends taste in music, I saw the rise of Bastille and the 1975 to be very similar, radio friendly, similar audience, rising up the festivals ranks, Bastille seemed to have stalled out around the sub level while the 1975 are making all the moves and have the backing to headline Glastonbury following on from headlining Reading.

The Arctic Monkeys went from having an amazing live reputation and overfilling the Festival Republic Stage (equivalent) in 2005, to subbing Muse in 06 and headlining Glastonbury in 2007 in just under 2 years. Two Number 1 singles and albums in that time and broke some first week sales records with the debut album in particular. Think it sold 1.8 million copies in the UK alone. It's harsh to compare but the 1975 have had zero top 10 singles and their albums have peaked around 550,000 copies (2013), AM released the same year sold over 1.2 million copies in the UK easily over double despite well past that mainstream peak.

I'm quoting wiki stats so I do apologise, thought it was interesting comparing them though.

I must admit was very happy with the Bastille set it was great in the R1 Tent should be sub headlining main stage soon at Reading/Leeds.

22 hours ago, robillustrates said:

For an indie/rock act to get a top 10 hit, let alone a number 1 single is practically unheard of in this country in 2019. I can't think of the last time it happened unless you count Feel it Still maybe - although not sure that got to no.1 // Obviously AM were much bigger at debut than 1975 are now and are still far bigger but i don't think its a fair comparison as I doubt if AM's stuff was released now from wpsiatwin it would get to number 1.

Edited by gfa

2 hours ago, gfa said:

For an indie/rock act to get a top 10 hit, let alone a number 1 single is practically unheard of in this country in 2019. I can't think of the last time it happened unless you count Feel it Still maybe - although not sure that got to no.1 // Obviously AM were much bigger at debut than 1975 are now and are still far bigger but i don't think its a fair comparison as I doubt if AM's stuff was released now from wpsiatwin it would get to number 1.

that’s a very good point, would be interesting to see how songs such as sex and chocolate would’ve performed in 2006

On 9/5/2019 at 12:14 AM, gfa said:

If AM release their debut now it would go to number one without a doubt and have more going for it to listen to than predict much anything from other indie bands atm, that's how strong an album it was. 

AM actually if anything brought AM back into the mainstream, I'd gone off them and a lot I knew during Humbug/SIAS and then AM changed that to make them a worthwhile option to watch for me again.

When The 1975 can sellout their own outdoor venues then a comparison is worth making but AM released as a debut is similar to The Killers with Hot Fuss....people still pay to see it now. No disrespect to them but it on 10 years time I doubt people will even press play on The 1975.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thewayiam said:

If AM release their debut now it would go to number one without a doubt and have more going for it to listen to than predict much anything from other indie bands atm, that's how strong an album it was. 

AM actually if anything brought AM back into the mainstream, I'd gone off them and a lot I knew during Humbug/SIAS and then AM changed that to make them a worthwhile option to watch for me again.

When The 1975 can sellout their own outdoor venues then a comparison is worth making but AM released as a debut is similar to The Killers with Hot Fuss....people still pay to see it now. No disrespect to them but it on 10 years time I doubt people will even press play on The 1975.

Not a chance that Whatever People Say I Am goes straight to #1 if it comes out in 2019. Have you seen the musical landscape?  

• Upvote 1

On 9/6/2019 at 9:38 PM, Andre91 said:

Not a chance that Whatever People Say I Am goes straight to #1 if it comes out in 2019. Have you seen the musical landscape?  

I think it does, just happens to be that everything else in the indie rock world now and for quite some time has been nowhere near as good.

16 hours ago, stanh said:

I love both Posty and Mura Masa, but chose Posty over him, think Mura was a good booking, but shouldve clashed with someone else instead? I'd say both artists have a crossover fan base hence his small crowd - would love to see him live though at some point, but I guess Posty is one of the biggest artists in the world right now, guess it was gonna happen from the green light.

If Mura Masa was as quiet as everyone says, it proves (not that proof was really needed) that they should have had a rock headliner on that stage instead of him.

Most rock fans left early on Saturday (Reading) night as there was no options.

Why clash Post Malone and Mura Masa to the point where Mura Masa plays to a tiny crowd whilst a large chunk of the punters leave early, doesn’t make sense?