2019 festival

Awful news about someone passing away after falling ill at Reading. I do remember having to get a steward to take someone out who had collapsed during Post Malones set, not sure if it was drugs related or not but agree with one of the posts above that there seemed to be a substantial amount of U18s on some serious substances in very bad ways. Special shout out to the stewards/security at most tents this weekend who I thought were brilliant at keeping people safe and helping hydrate everyone however.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-49479070

Finally got round to doing my roundup for what I thought of this years Festival.

Day 1 - Friday

1. Kawala - Great easy to listen band looked them up before the festival liked the song runaway not that bad of a band either.
  2. Charli XCX - Though I am fully not into pop music much thought she did well knew some of her songs defiantly had the energy.
  3. You Me At Six - Great set but a shame they didn't do save it for the bedroom but great to see them live.
  4. The Maine - Caught the last bit of it before Bowling For Soup must say I did quite like the last couple songs I heard.
  5. Bowling For Soup - We all knew this was going to be fun great band to see live one of my all time favourite punk rock bands and very happy they announced they will be touring with Simple Plan next year.
  6. 1975 - Like others have said prob did a great set I luckily caught the song "The City" my only song I like from them tbh

Day 2 - Saturday

1. Cassia - Went mainly for the shade also to check other stuff out found these not bad tbh liked the last song they played.
  2. Pip Blom - Very good band from what I heard their whole set.
  3. Georgia - Drummist and vocals all by herself quite liked her set aswell loved how she incoperates the synth/electronic vibes to her music.
  4. Charlotte - Went over to introducing stage mainly for Enter Shikari but oh my isn't Charlotte great liked the few songs I did managed to get to listen to should come back maybe on the festival republic stage or something.
  5. Enter Shikari (Secret but no so secret acoustic set) - Great again these guys are seen them live twice before so was very happy to see they was doing another set over the weekend.
  6. Billie Elish - Being honest here never heard of her but when I went over to Sweden a few weeks ago did see some people wearing her merchandise so I defo wanted to listen to her set well shes got a massive fan base hasn't she the Main Stage was packed for it she had great energy and stage presence still can't believe when someone told me she was 17 did quite like some of her songs.
  7. Blossoms - Mainly went to this because when I went to see UB40 some people sat next me to said they was great live and wasn't they right great set mainly towards the end where I knew some songs.
  8. Twenty One Pilots - One of the sets I was most looking forward to as I know most songs and they are a fantastic live most moving moment for me had to be Chlorine which yes is finally part of their setlist.
  9. Post Malone (Posty) - Big fan of him I am great set it was from him fire the lot missed out of him last year as was a day ticketer on the Saturday but seeing from last year compared to this year he seemed to actually sing pretty much all his songs not mime it or just don't do nothing very happy about that.

Day 3 - Sunday

1. Mayday Parade - Went to this as my mates like the band so met up with them for it great band to kick the Sunday off I found and liked their version of Mr Brightside too.
  2. Yungblud - I did stay for this set too after mayday parade I thought he was brilliant great interactions with the crowd and liked the music.
  3. Enter Shikari Main Stage Set - Fantastic again from the guys favourite moments from that set was Juggernaughts where I was in the Mosh Pit too and Live Outside.
  4. Bullet For My Valentine (Again not too much secret set) - Very happy these came to Reading Festival great setlist especially the 2 songs at the end which were Scream Aim Fire and Tears Don't Fall I really hope to see them get a Main Stage Slot for 2020.
  5. Palaye Royale - stayed in the pit tent for next few it was just too hot outside I actually thought this band was pretty good and very fun too.
  6. Fidlar - Don't know their music but they sounded great live and was great to see them doing something for netflix.
  7. Enter Shikari  Pit Set - Prob the best set out of Enter Shikaris sets it had it all great energy about it, crowdsurfers the lot and even Rou and the others very up close which was lovely must say this the only band I have heard live that sound way better than studio recordings.
  8. Sundara Karma - Caught the end of it thought they was very good.
  9. Chvrches - Very good set but not as good as when I seen them live in their tour in Feburary just didn't feel the same I don't know what it was prob not many people knowing their music at all. Very gutted they left Gun out of their setlist as I love that song still was very happy to see them though.
  10. Bastille - Well I couldn't get out for foos and there was no way I was going to stand right at the very back for them so I decided to stay at Bastille. Very great setlist this was knew majority of the songs too but my favourite moment was even though most of us didn't know the song it has to be "Million Pieces" and also asking secruity to get over the barrier at the middle of Pompeii was great to get up near the stage too (Needed to get out before the crowds funnel out also meet up with some friends)

To wrap it all up I know I prob have repeated things a lot It was my first time doing the weekend and camping I camped in disabled where I have made a new festival family, Friday was great even though did have rest periods and wasn't as busy as the other 2 days, Saturday was a fairly busy day seeing other bands/artists I have never even heard of, Sunday was the most packed out day for me which was great even though was very very hot. Will do another festival soon still recovering here only thing I didn't like was getting piss chucked over me which is prob part of the festival experience but hey it was fantastic thanks Reading Festival.

On a side note the water was overall quite good even though there was queues for it luckily got secruity to go fill my bottle up just after I entered through which was a lifesaver do think given the popularity of these water refill stations they should install more taps to meet demand maybe they didn't think more was needed.

Again fantastic weekend.

2019 was the best year yet! Caught a lot of music over the weekend and the camping was pretty pain free besides the early morning sun.

Absolutely love the new barrier system which meant I could get a decent spot for SWMRS, Shikari, Anderson .Paak and Blossoms without being rammed in.

Sea Girls had a full tent for their 1PM slot and absolutely smashed it. Didn't really think it was necessary to have Wombats do essentially the same set two years in a row if I'm honest. Royal Blood was absolutely insane in the barriers, which now cause these really long and thin pits which was quite funny to see. Plenty of room if you're in the pit but those at the front and back were obviously very crammed. The 1975 as others have said were utterly fantastic and will surely be a staple headliner at this festival for decades to come.

Went for the final five Main Stage run on the Saturday as it was scorching and it didn't disappoint. Huge and very very loud crowd for Billie, thought she was decent - couldn't see it closing the night but Post's performance was miles better than his 5th down slot the previous year so who knows. Anderson .Paak and Blossoms (underrated live imo) were perfect in the sun, was nice to have plenty of room to dance up near the front for Paak and I just think Blossoms' style rings out really nicely across a field. Twenty One Pilots were great although that 'left to right'' bollocks crushed everyone in the front barrier lol. But they could've easily closed out the night and definitely made it feel like they were co-headliners rather than a glorified sub like Panic and FoB in previous years. Really enjoyed Post Malone personally, thought he put his all into the set and really sells his songs live.

Sunday was again super hot, the front area was a dustbowl for SWMRS, Yungblud and Shikari (loved their quickfire round) who all nailed their main stage slots. The main stage pushbacks worked an absolute treat as I managed to see Amazons (who smashed it) and Sundara Karma in the tent. Sundara's new songs actually went down really well and sounded incredible in the R1 compared to their older, better known stuff, it's not surprising they lean more heavily on it. Frank Carter smashed it on main stage as expected. FIDLAR had a mad crowd in the Pit, so glad I caught them. Foos were brilliant but seen them four times in quick succession and the sets have remained pretty similar so after two hours I caught Bastille which was a nice to end the festival on, nothing amazing but there were great vibes in the tent and the setlist led to more of a party atmosphere, playing mostly newer stuff to a very lively crowd.

Also, the new screens are so awesome, adds so much to every main stage set and allows acts in smaller slots to put on a bigger show, very cool.

On 8/27/2019 at 1:28 PM, Followill said:

ADTR: Such a shame that they just aren’t really leeds demographic anymore as they killed it but honestly didn’t feel like a subheadliner.

Foo Fighters: Been waiting years for this and it didn’t disappoint.

Yup to be honest I didn't think there was anything that made ADTR feel like a sub rather than 3rd down, and there isn't really enough people who care at Reading for them.

Foo Fighters I enjoyed but I think I've probably got to the point of not needing to see them again now. They've not released anything I've been bothered about for a while and it was probably similar to 2013 with Green Day where I could have probably chosen a headline act I'd have rathered see.

On 8/27/2019 at 5:43 PM, rivalschools.price said:

I wonder if Foo fighters are aware/care that just about everyone says they would rather they didn’t stretch every song into an extended jam?

Yeah that and the excessive covers fest to introduce each member, I found myself getting a bit bored in such moments at the London Stadium show too. My favourite band RHCP do the same too, I'd prefer a few less jams and a couple of extra songs quite frankly. Did laugh that the Pretender opener went over 12 mins by my count, pretty funny. All my Life works better towards the start or end of the set rather than in the middle too.

Their set at Glastonbury was about right and letting Best of You go over 10 mins because the crowd were all over it.

Was also quietly quite satisfied that the Foo's Reading set in 2012 was better than this years too.

Edited by robillustrates

What a great weekend. Serious blues now.

I personally enjoyed the entirety of Foos, managed to get about 5 rows from the front after watching ADTR. Atmosphere was immense and I loved the setlist, so can't complain. I personally really like the jamming, think it builds well if done right - found RHCP boring when they did that though.

The 1975 are certified headline material now (obviously) great performance, production is different class and they have so many tunes with another album on the way. Surely ready for Glasto next summer as the "younger" headliner for the 50th anniversary trio?

Few other mentions;

Anderson .Paak put on a fantastic show and whilst there was people in the crowd that might not be all that familiar with his music, they were having a great time

The Story So Far and Stand Atlantic back to back were a great duo I thought with the R1 and Pit stages next to each other it worked pretty well, even with the 10 minute clash.

Slowthai will be huge if his next album is of the same quality, thought his performance was full of energy and great fun

I was expecting Royal Blood to be as boring as 2015, but they've definitely upped their live performances a notch. Setlist flowed really well, with some songs transitioning into the next perfectly and they did a good job of jeering up the crowd considering there are only two of them.

Overall great weekend and already looking to go for a 6th year in a row in 2020.

3 hours ago, jamieaslee said:

What a great weekend. Serious blues now.

I personally enjoyed the entirety of Foos, managed to get about 5 rows from the front after watching ADTR. Atmosphere was immense and I loved the setlist, so can't complain. I personally really like the jamming, think it builds well if done right - found RHCP boring when they did that though.

The 1975 are certified headline material now (obviously) great performance, production is different class and they have so many tunes with another album on the way. Surely ready for Glasto next summer as the "younger" headliner for the 50th anniversary trio?

Few other mentions;

Anderson .Paak put on a fantastic show and whilst there was people in the crowd that might not be all that familiar with his music, they were having a great time

The Story So Far and Stand Atlantic back to back were a great duo I thought with the R1 and Pit stages next to each other it worked pretty well, even with the 10 minute clash.

Slowthai will be huge if his next album is of the same quality, thought his performance was full of energy and great fun

I was expecting Royal Blood to be as boring as 2015, but they've definitely upped their live performances a notch. Setlist flowed really well, with some songs transitioning into the next perfectly and they did a good job of jeering up the crowd considering there are only two of them.

Overall great weekend and already looking to go for a 6th year in a row in 2020.

Obviously there is no doubt over The 1975, but I'm not sure I see Glastonbury on a year when they've probably got offers from with respect, more prestigious acts, and with it being their 2nd year of summers. Had this big year for them come slightly later then I'd 100% be in the circle of then having done their arena your and on to this.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Obviously there is no doubt over The 1975, but I'm not sure I see Glastonbury on a year when they've probably got offers from with respect, more prestigious acts, and with it being their 2nd year of summers. Had this big year for them come slightly later then I'd 100% be in the circle of then having done their arena your and on to this.

I suppose you're right, but I think Glasto tries very hard to appeal to all audiences and I'm not sure there are many newer artists that could fill the Stormzy shaped hole next year? 

37 minutes ago, jamieaslee said:

I suppose you're right, but I think Glasto tries very hard to appeal to all audiences and I'm not sure there are many newer artists that could fill the Stormzy shaped hole next year? 

Aye, I don't think it's ideally what Glasto would do but I think obviously it's one that isn't a risk.

On 8/28/2019 at 2:33 PM, frontsidecab said:

and Sundara Karma in the tent. Sundara's new songs actually went down really well and sounded incredible in the R1 compared to their older, better known stuff, it's not surprising they lean more heavily on it.l

Agreed completely. Saw a lot of people slagging their new stuff off on this forum but the likes of Higher States, Little Smart Houses and One Last Night got the crowd going more than most others. Reckon they could play a bigger slot next year? 

Edited by ob123

24 minutes ago, ob123 said:

Agreed completely. Saw a lot of people slagging their new stuff off on this forum but the likes of Higher States, Little Smart Houses and One Last Night got the crowd going more than most others. Reckon they could play a bigger slot next year? 

Wouldn't imagine it'd be next year but I reckon they could move up a slot in that tent after another album. Can't see them getting to R1 Headliner/3rd down just yet though.

I don't get the dislike for Sundara's new album. It's a fun indie record with songs that mostly sound just as good live as the first album. Greenhands, Higher States, Little Smart Houses, One Last Night On This Earth, Symbols Of Joy & Eternity and Home are all class tunes. 

I can't see them returning next year but give it a couple years they'll be 4th down main or subbing R1 at the least I'd have thought.

6 hours ago, robillustrates said:

Think it's a straight battle between The 1975 and Foals for that "Stormzy" Glastonbury spot next summer.

I don't think Foals are big enough to headline Glastonbury at the moment. They were meant to play Boardmasters this year which is a considerably smaller festival. 1975 are a good shout though, think they are in with a good chance.

31 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

I don't get the dislike for Sundara's new album. It's a fun indie record with songs that mostly sound just as good live as the first album. Greenhands, Higher States, Little Smart Houses, One Last Night On This Earth, Symbols Of Joy & Eternity and Home are all class tunes. 

I can't see them returning next year but give it a couple years they'll be 4th down main or subbing R1 at the least I'd have thought.

I think the dislike comes from the lack of 1st album at shows - they only play 3/4 from YIOEFIR with Ufilas’ Alphabet dominating. But it’s a brilliant record and can’t wait to see what they do next - probably look at expanding abroad. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, manchestermusicreview said:

I think the dislike comes from the lack of 1st album at shows - they only play 3/4 from YIOEFIR with Ufilas’ Alphabet dominating. But it’s a brilliant record and can’t wait to see what they do next - probably look at expanding abroad. 

That's completely understandable, I love the first album and welcome a lot more of it in the setlists. I saw them on the tour after they released it and they played it in full + Indigo Puff and it was amazing, it all sounded great live.

I do quite like the second album too though and think it's a tad unfair some of the stick it gets just because they've been playing more of it recently.

4 hours ago, CRW5252 said:

I don't think Foals are big enough to headline Glastonbury at the moment. They were meant to play Boardmasters this year which is a considerably smaller festival. 1975 are a good shout though, think they are in with a good chance.

If 1975's next album gets to no.1 are they as big as AM were when they first headlined Glasto? I'd argue they already are as big as they were back then

On 8/27/2019 at 7:21 PM, Andre91 said:

8. Press Club - they were excellent. They were so energetic (particularly the front woman, who is another star). The tent got fuller as the set went on which was great. They’re just an excellent little band with some great singalong tunes. I urge anyone who had any sort of interest in guitar music to check them out. 

When she got into the crowd during the final bit of Suburbia and was moshing with everybody yet still managed to keep the singing spot on :wub:

Highlights for me in no particular order

1975 (in fact deffo in particular order in that case)

21 Pilots

Post Malone

Pup

Press Club

Dreamers

Sea Girls

Rick Astley

Lowlights-

Too Hot

Charlie XCX

Foo Fighters (been there done that now so dull, complete same old same old, nothing new at all, bar absolutely murdering My Hero, WHY DAVE WHY? Its one of my favourite ever songs)

Guess they did what you expect, theyre done for me though, just seen them too much, 21 Pilots were so, so much fresher and more entertaining on a song and interaction level

Edited by Benj

On 8/28/2019 at 12:29 PM, thewayiam said:

Yup to be honest I didn't think there was anything that made ADTR feel like a sub rather than 3rd down, and there isn't really enough people who care at Reading for them.

Foo Fighters I enjoyed but I think I've probably got to the point of not needing to see them again now. They've not released anything I've been bothered about for a while and it was probably similar to 2013 with Green Day where I could have probably chosen a headline act I'd have rathered see.

yup

crowd for ADTR was poor. Not helped by the crapp dbrick thing they did with the screens which completely removed them from the crowd firther back, who may have got more into it if they could actually see the band.  Played things a little too heavy too, almost like they were auditioning for Download...

6 hours ago, Benj said:

yup

crowd for ADTR was poor. Not helped by the crapp dbrick thing they did with the screens which completely removed them from the crowd firther back, who may have got more into it if they could actually see the band.  Played things a little too heavy too, almost like they were auditioning for Download...

Yeah I thought the set actually need to have a more catchy song if you like earlier in the set, Right back at it, 2nd sucks and sticks and bricks within the 1st 4 wasn't the best way I'm my opinion. Last year they a tour starting with Downfall and it's got the right mix of a heavy intro but soft enough at Reading to get you right into it.

7 hours ago, Benj said:

absolutely murdering My Hero, WHY DAVE WHY? Its one of my favourite ever songs

I assume you're talking about Reading so I can't really compare but at Leeds My Hero was probably the best song they did imo. Bringing out his daughter to play it with him probably helped tbf. 

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Yeah I thought the set actually need to have a more catchy song if you like earlier in the set, Right back at it, 2nd sucks and sticks and bricks within the 1st 4 wasn't the best way I'm my opinion. Last year they a tour starting with Downfall and it's got the right mix of a heavy intro but soft enough at Reading to get you right into it.

Downfall should always be the closer. Opening with 2nd Sucks into Right Back At It Again was brilliant. I love the two songs personally but I don’t think they should have gone with both Sticks & Bricks and Better Off This Way back to back. I was right down the front and so many people didn’t know those two songs. I really don’t think playing that Marshmello song did them too many favours. I get playing Degenerates, though. If I could have chosen the setlist, it wouldn’t have been too dissimilar: 

1. 2nd Sucks 

2. Right Back At It Again 

3. Paranoia 

4. Better Off This Way 

5. Degenrates 

6. Mr Highway’s Thinkin’ About The End 

7. Have Faith In Me 

8. I’m Made of Wax Larry... 

9. Sometimes You’re The Hammer, Sometimes You’re The Nail 

10. All Signs Point To Lauderdale 

11. All I Want 

12. The Plot To Bomb The Panhandle