2019 festival

6 hours ago, BeddingatReading said:

Finally home. Didn’t fancy drinking booze today in the heat, god I’m getting old. Will put a proper write up either tomorrow or Tuesday (when I should be working!). Just one thing I wanted to mention though and that’s how well the circle pen thing worked. Stopped all the idiots coming and trying to push and crush people half way through a set. Really hope they keep it for next year. 

I have to say now you've posted this, Coachella gets a bad rep on here for the lack of being able to drink around the stages and being in pens while still being able to see a stage and although it's a different heat it's still very hot. This is what I mean by it'll be one beer/one water to actually make you feel like another. I was 26/27 when I went so I'd been festivalling for 8/9 years by then, hadn't missed a year camping.

6 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Leeds was a bit of a nightmare for most of today. It was scorching and lots of vendors were running out of water mid afternoon and the queues for the water stations were approaching an hour (I waited just over 55 minutes to fill my couple of bottles). 

Overall it was a great weekend and I’ll post some comments later on sometime on the sets I saw. 

The biggest downer of the weekend was of course the young girl who died and who I assume was the girl a few feet away from me fitting on Friday at the main stage. Awful, awful stuff. 

Friday for water was ridiculous and I think it's really bad that the bars wouldn't hand out tap water at all on paper cups, they need we aren't doing that....on a very hot day. Should have pushed really as it's now a legal requirement that a venue/event supply you with hydration needs. I know it's different but if you every ask of that at Slam Dunk they have no problem supplying it.

7 hours ago, Stuielooie said:

Reading was really good for water. At all the stages the security was filling up people's bottles quickly. Was a new queue system for refill stations too

Queues were ridiculous by the main stage for water at Reading. Great thinking of them putting the taps at the main stage, security were all willing to fill bottles up by the main stage though which is amazing and stopped people dehydrating in the circle. 

Plague Vendor lmao wtf was that. 10/10
White Reaper all killer no filler
Hot Milk cringey but catchy
Valeras will be big
The Distillers heartwarming crowd size
A Day To Remember killed it
Foo Fighters great first hour, then boring, then more boring, then good

6 minutes ago, Hart Attack said:

Well I feel better about going to see Chvrches now. Saw The Pretender and Learn To Fly, then made it back for Wheels onwards.

I'm pretty sure the audience seeing Foos for the first time would have absolutely loved it, but with this my 4th time in a few years, their shtick has worn very thin. So much dead time in the unnecessarily drawn out monologues. The introductions/covers section does nothing for them. Had seen them perform the Rick Astley cover at The O2 and once is more than enough. For All The Cows and Let There Be Rock were brilliant tho. 

How was Chvrches?

Edited by JSmurphy

I love Foos, 4th time seeing them and the last three times I've loved them. I don't know what it was about last night but I just wasn't feeling it in the same way. Maybe it was the fact I'd been seeing music since 11 in the morning, maybe it was the crowd not being as into it as they have been at previous gigs or maybe it was just feeling like even more filler than they normally do (I normally enjoy some of the drawn out parts because it just feels like the crowd is eating out of Daves hands) but it wasnt as good as the other times I've seen them.

A day to remember were great. Honestly enjoyed their new song and the one with marshmello, wouldn't definitely see them again. 

Frank carter was unreal, what a fucking guy. Just wish he'd have had longer. 

The bullet secret set was a nice surprise, only really knew one song so was just sat outside listening but enjoyed. 

The Faim were probably the highlight of the day. Absolutely unreal live band, was bouncing the whole time. 

Vistas were great too first thing, as were anteros. Would also fully recommend listening to the loose cut, saw them open the introducing stage and they were superb. 

37 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

I'm pretty sure the audience seeing Foos for the first time would have absolutely loved it, but with this my 4th time in a few years, their shtick has worn very thin. So much dead time in the unnecessarily drawn out monologues. The introductions/covers section does nothing for them. Had seen them perform the Rick Astley cover at The O2 and once is more than enough. For All The Cows and Let There Be Rock were brilliant tho. 

How was Chvrches?

Good, but I feel like I enjoyed them less than I would have done if I hadn't seen that first 20 mins of Foos first. I spent a lot of their set checking the time and looking over my shoulder, just thinking 'man... I'm missing Foo Fighters right now', which was a bit distracting.

1 minute ago, MONTHEBIFF2013 said:

Did anyone else see the guy who climbed the metal frame that holds the speakers up on the main stage. Was sat up there for majority of foos set with a flare and a beer. Was moving around a lot and thought he was going to fall on several occasions. 

Yeah, he was still up there at the end of the set. No idea how he got down.

Had a brilliant festival. Probably the best Reading weekend yet. Personal faves:

Bloxx were brilliant again, pulled quite a big crowd considering they were opening the R1.

Royal Blood were insane. I was down in the front circle and the crowd was brilliant.

The 1975 was easily one of my highlights of the weekend. I’m not a huge fan in general but the whole show and performance was perfect.

Slowthai was as good as ever, always puts on an insane show and didn’t disappoint.

Anderson .Paak was great even though I went off on my own to watch him as none of my group were bothered. Good fun live. Shame he had such a small crowd.

Peace were amazing but that was probably more down to the crowd as the pits were basically one big midlands meet up haha. Saw many people I knew.

The Amazons packing out the R1 was really great to see I’m glad they had a huge crowd they really deserved it. On top form

Frank Carter is Frank carter, don’t have to see anything more he killed it. 

Enter Shikari are easily one of my fave bands of all time and they did not disappoint at all during their pit set. What a setlist. Sadly had to miss the main stage set due to almost passing out at my camp in white due to the heat.

All in all definitely the best Reading I’ve been to even if the lineup wasn’t the best. A great birthday weekend too ;)

roll on next year x

1 hour ago, NerdsNatterings said:

I love Foos, 4th time seeing them and the last three times I've loved them. I don't know what it was about last night but I just wasn't feeling it in the same way. Maybe it was the fact I'd been seeing music since 11 in the morning, maybe it was the crowd not being as into it as they have been at previous gigs or maybe it was just feeling like even more filler than they normally do (I normally enjoy some of the drawn out parts because it just feels like the crowd is eating out of Daves hands) but it wasnt as good as the other times I've seen them.

A day to remember were great. Honestly enjoyed their new song and the one with marshmello, wouldn't definitely see them again. 

Frank carter was unreal, what a fucking guy. Just wish he'd have had longer. 

The bullet secret set was a nice surprise, only really knew one song so was just sat outside listening but enjoyed. 

The Faim were probably the highlight of the day. Absolutely unreal live band, was bouncing the whole time. 

Vistas were great too first thing, as were anteros. Would also fully recommend listening to the loose cut, saw them open the introducing stage and they were superb. 

I will say ADTR sounded good, never really thought his voice translated well for All I want though from record to live.

It came across on the tv that foos played to a very young crowd who didn’t know a lot of the older niche tunes.

When they played tunes from the first record the kids on the barrier didn’t really know the tunes.

Still came across great on TV but I think the foos struggle a bit with a much younger crowd.

Excellent weekend overall, nearly all the headliners were great, was pleasantly surprised by how good twenty one pilots were although i only stayed for half the set to catch peace. Posty was alright but felt very flat compared to 1975 and twenty one pilots.

but 1975 was easily the highlight of the weekend and most definitely the best headline act I’ve seen at reading so far, they absolutely smashed it

foos were excellent two as it was only my second time seeing them, although dave does like to drag it on a bit, but i still love him

Edited by dum surfer

What a great weekend apart from the fat walk from white camp to main arena, thought The 1975 started off well but ended poorly as with Foo Fighters too. 21 pilots were absolutely incredible, highlight of weekend was probably The Faim. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Leeds was a bit of a nightmare for most of today. It was scorching and lots of vendors were running out of water mid afternoon and the queues for the water stations were approaching an hour (I waited just over 55 minutes to fill my couple of bottles). 

Overall it was a great weekend and I’ll post some comments later on sometime on the sets I saw. 

The biggest downer of the weekend was of course the young girl who died and who I assume was the girl a few feet away from me fitting on Friday at the main stage. Awful, awful stuff. 

Yes was rubbish for water.

It was much busier than usual for whole weekend in arena and campsites. Even Brown was full (and had no water all weekend).

I needed some sugar so asked for a coke at the bar but was told I wasn't allowed one even though they had bottles of it, unless I ordered a vodka or rum to go with it. The alternative was to queue at soft drink stand for 45 mins! 

Had an amazing weekend. Highlights for me were Boston Manor and Twenty One Pilots. 

Enjoyed seeing 1975 (who I wasn't going to watch) and Poppy (who was different than I thought she was going to be). 

Some of the crowds were interesting in the Pit. Dead for Higher Power and Blood Youth, but couldn't get in for Bowling for Soup. 

The majority of Leeds goers are now in to grime/rap and only interested in leaving tents to see main acts but the old skool people go to the Pit / FR stage. 

Ps - im not sure the circumstances of the death of the girl, but my 18 year old daughter knew her and said she was a nice girl. 

Waiting for a delayed train so I thought I’d share my thoughts sitting on the platform.

Becky Hill: Awful. Barely sung. I think.

Scarlxrd: Surprisingly decent, guy puts a lot of energy in. In a different world he’d be great in a metal band.

The Wombats: The same as they always are. Fun but not much else.

Royal Blood: Pretty great, enjoyed the set, which is weird because everyone said they’re rubbish live.

The 1975: Phenomenal. Best act of the weekend. Second best headliner I’ve ever seen at R&L. 

Fudge: Don Broco lite. Still good though.

Billie Eilish: Definitely felt like the ‘moment’ of the weekend. She’ll be back next year/year after headlining.

Blossoms: You really can tell they’re from the North West can’t you? I do enjoy their music, I just wish the lead singer was a bit more charismatic.

Peace: Made me feel like I was in Sixth form again. Wish they had a longer set.

Post Malone: Enjoyable, he genuinely comes across as humble and gracious. Sounded a bit gravelly though.

Vistas: How are this band not huge yet? Fantastic, expect to see them on R1 stage next year.

The Amazons: Good tunes but the second album truly sucks. Glad they only played two songs from it. 

Foo Fighters: Thought I’d be bored. Nope. He is really the most iconic rock frontman of the last twenty years. Brilliant.

Special shoutout to Rob Kellas and the rest of the lads from TPD.

I’m never camping at this festival again, it really is full of 16 year old knobs.

Edited by TKOCF

Truly incredible weekend. Surely one of the best festivals for a long long time. 

Highlights for me were; 

Sea Girls - Drew in a massive crowd who were very lively throughout, they’re such a good live band and are growing so much, expect them to have a bigger slot next year. 

Wombats- One of my fav bands, they are what they are, guaranteed good live performance, nothing spectacular just good fun. 

1975- Already saw them earlier this year so stage production wasn’t as effective on me but they still smashed it, what a year they’ve had. 

Billie Eilish - Ridiculously big crowd for someone playing 5th down on main. Imagine if she was in the tent jesus. Never less she was real good and hope she comes back next year in a bigger slot 

TØP- Never been their biggest fans but my word they were amazing, one of the most enjoyable and fun live acts I’ve seen, they could have easily closed the night. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them back in the near future at all. Think they surprised many on just how good they were. 

Posty- Never seen him before but again very enjoyable and a good booking. 

Vistas- How these guys haven’t blown up yet is beyond me. Fully expect them to headline FR next year 

Sundara - only saw first half of their set but they seemed so much better than IoL fest. Big crowd and a much better setlist. 

Foos- First time I’ve seen them and again so enjoyable, a good setlist and one of the best live bands of all time. 

Overall the lineup for me personally was ridiculously good, had a blast and gunna be sulking for a few days now tryna get over it. Roll on next year. 

Kawala: Easy listening start but I'd forgotten them by the end of the day.

IDKHow: I always liked Dallon Weekes from his Panic days, enjoyed seeing his new project for the first time.

Twin Atlantic: I have a lot of love for Twin Atlantic, new song sounded good and can't wait for more new music from them. Excellent set.

Patent Pending: Great fun in the tent to get out of the sun for a bit. Saw them last year with Waterparks and been hoping to see them again.

The Sherlocks: Only saw the first half because we had nothing better to do, looked fun enough but they've never excited me.

YMAS: Other than what I thought was an odd choice of ending song, quite enjoyed it.

Wombats: Good setlist, not actually seen them live before so thought it was good fun.

Royal Blood: Only saw these in Newport a week or two ago but was happy to see them again, the pair of them are fucking stars. I'd bank on them headlining next album cycle.

1975: Set of the weekend, absolutely outstanding. Won't lie I found the 20 minutes after the first hour a bit dull, but the first hour and the end run were sensational stuff.

Alma: Only caught the last song waiting for Against the Current, thought they were dull.

ATC: Decent setlist, but was brief. Will get tickets to their December tour for a better fix because I do quite like them.

The Hunna: After the shit they went through with their previous label I'm quite glad they're bouncing back, thought their set was great.

Larkins: My girlfriend apparently saw them a few years ago in uni so wanted to see them again, I actually thought they were quite good. Would see them again quite happily.

Night Riots: Loved it, great setlist and good fun throughout.

Twenty One Pilots: Brilliant setlist, in retrospect they could have headlined outright, it was bloody great. Had to watch from the screens further back because I couldn't get close for want of trying.

Vistas: Packed the tent out well for a Sunday morning slot, they'll be back in a bigger slot next year for sure.

The Faim: Fantastic, love these guys and can't wait for the debut album.

The Story So Far: Honestly thought they were rubbish, I honestly don't think I'll ever get why they're so popular.

Bullet for My Valentine: Great surprise given all the rumours we had beforehand, great blast through the hits. If they get Slipknot to headline I could see these third down.

Frank Carter: Long overdue seeing him, missed him on the Foos tour last year because I was watching the end of Iceland vs Nigeria. Worth the wait, thought he was brilliant. Need to check out his albums since I've never gotten around to it.

A Day to Remember: Setlist highlighted to me how few of their songs I actually know, but the ones I recognised were great. The two newer songs they played are an interesting change of direction, making a mainstream push for headline status potentially? Will have to see how it works out.

Foo Fighters: Honestly seemed largely the same as when I saw them last year, but still thought it was bloody brilliant. Fucking Rick Astley on the Reading main stage in 2019, man. Great way to end the weekend.

10/10 weekend, would do it again.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Their headline set was stunning. My #1 set of the weekend by some way. 

I'm the same - right up until they came on stage on Friday I've questioned how they're headlining festivals of this size...I was proved spectacularly wrong. Completely blown away and it's such a rare thing for me nowadays. Everything from the visuals throughout to somehow knowing every song despite only ever actively listening to the first album when it came out. 

6 minutes ago, she bangs the drums said:

I didn't get Billie Ellish before but gave it a go. 

I still don't get it. She just seems to mumble?

Must be a young persons thing! 

Ha we thought the same (late 20s/early 30s). We watched a couple of songs just in case we got it but just walked away in the end. I think the lyrics mean a lot to a lot of people, hence them screaming them back at her, but you cant make them out live if you dont already know them. So the lyricism and depth is lost and its not like there's really any music to grip you in the live setting  beyond that...