2019 festival

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

Didn't know that was a thing to be honest. Better not tell him about the Titanic or he'll never play in Europe again ? Their tour with Lil Wayne definitely is odd though so a secret set at 2019 Reading looks pretty normal in comparison.

Really, it was big news when he survived the plane crash and is part of their lore now. It fucked Travis up pretty bad with burn marks over his body and he tells stories about how he offered his friends money to put him out of his misery at the time. It was also the reason Blink got back together which is one of the rare reunions that wasn't just about making some cash. 

33 minutes ago, jump said:

Really, it was big news when he survived the plane crash and is part of their lore now. It fucked Travis up pretty bad with burn marks over his body and he tells stories about how he offered his friends money to put him out of his misery at the time. It was also the reason Blink got back together which is one of the rare reunions that wasn't just about making some cash. 

I'm not really a Blink fan mate, just thought of it as an idea for the secret set.

4 hours ago, jump said:

Is Travis still their drummer on tour? I can't see a boat getting to and from America that quick unless it's gotten over his fear of crashing in planes.

Personally I'd prefer The Transplants if Travis makes the effort to come over to Europe and I can only see that happening if they are the support to Blink on tour or if they have some big festivals lines up. I'm still pissed off they pulled out Reading all those years ago, I fucking loved that album at the time.

Yeah, I was well knit that Transplants album around the time the cancelled the Reading appearance.

If I remember rightly I wasn’t too disappointed as I had already decided to watch someone else anyway(can’t remember who)

EDIT- just checked and Foo Fighters were headlining on the main stage when presumably Transplants would have been playing the Lock-up so that’s probably who is planned to see.

Edited by rivalschools.price

11 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Yeah, I was well knit that Transplants album around the time the cancelled the Reading appearance.

If I remember rightly I wasn’t too disappointed as I had already decided to watch someone else anyway(can’t remember who)

EDIT- just checked and Foo Fighters were headlining on the main stage when presumably Transplants would have been playing the Lock-up so that’s probably who is planned to see.

I would have just missed Foos, I had already seen them headline Reading. The only act I might have seen over Transplants at the fest would have been Arcade Fire or the Dwarves. If I remember correctly they were headlining the Lock Up at one site (Leeds?) and playing low mainstage on the other (Reading?) so they might not have clashed with Foos.

I'm still disappointed they have never played an UK show.

11 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Transplants were doing the double set I think? Both main and lock up 

9 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

What ever happened to Skinhead Rob?

He joined a couple of bands afterwards, one was with Travis abit like Transplants but with a more hippity-hoppity vibe and another was a typical punk band. They were ok but I've forgotten both of their names tho.

He met Tim Armstrong when he was the Rancid roadie so I wouldn't be surprised if he's still doing that tbh.

• Like 1

Transplants were definitely booked to play the Main Stage, if I recall they were 7th down but pulled out and they were replaced by some band called Biffy Clyro...

Not sure about there being a double set though, if memory serves me correctly the first time that happened was Jimmy Eat World in 2007.

I've just googled the poster from that year;

One poster has them as double duty but another has them playing Reading Main and Lock Up at Leeds and it looks like Biffy weren't their replacement as they were both on one of their poster.

lineup_may25.gifReading-2005

Edited by jump

9 minutes ago, jamieaslee said:

Massively disappointed IDLES arent at Leeds, no chance of them being in a very late announcement?

Obviously can't say for certain very unlikely at this point - like why would they have been held back? Maybe they're not there cos R+L wanted them as some form of exclusive, and instead Idles just wanted to play dozens of festivals in the UK.

Edited by dentalplan

14 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Obviously can't say for certain very unlikely at this point - like why would they have been held back? Maybe they're not there cos R+L wanted them as some form of exclusive, and instead Idles just wanted to play dozens of festivals in the UK.

Fairplay to them imo. Idles have just broken through so they can now get paid more than £50 or whatever they did on the toilet circuit so why limit it to one big festival when they can make a real wage. I doubt they'd give a shit about missing out playing the same festival with their esteemed peers such as Dappy and Bowling For Soup. 

53 minutes ago, jump said:

Fairplay to them imo. Idles have just broken through so they can now get paid more than £50 or whatever they did on the toilet circuit so why limit it to one big festival when they can make a real wage. I doubt they'd give a shit about missing out playing the same festival with their esteemed peers such as Dappy and Bowling For Soup. 

Yeah it seems like legit option for artists now, and not something borne out of 'failure'. There has been a bit of a pushback on exclusivity because, while it should guarantee decent money for the least work, it doesn't seem like a good long-term strategy for artists serving their fanbase. Two Door Cinema Club are the biggest they've ever been and are taking their new album to Tramlines, Y Not, Truck etc. instead of a single sub slot at Reading and Leeds, and I guess it's kinda why Catfish and the Bottlemen haven't been back to R+L since 2015 as well.

• Upvote 2

On 5/11/2019 at 9:05 AM, jump said:

I've just googled the poster from that year;

One poster has them as double duty but another has them playing Reading Main and Lock Up at Leeds and it looks like Biffy weren't their replacement as they were both on one of their poster.

Biffy replaced Simple Plan

On 5/11/2019 at 7:20 PM, Pr0paneNightm4re said:

Bloody hell I bet it’s Idles secret set. That would be thoroughly disappointing

If Idles did a secret set it would be like Frank Carter last year, doubt it'd be the biggest secret set of the weekend.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2019 at 9:20 PM, VCK said:

Transplants were definitely booked to play the Main Stage, if I recall they were 7th down but pulled out and they were replaced by some band called Biffy Clyro...

Not sure about there being a double set though, if memory serves me correctly the first time that happened was Jimmy Eat World in 2007.

I know it's not technically a double set, but I'm fairly sure My Chemical Romance played a double set of sorts in 2005, in that they opened Leeds main stage and then went to play reading later that day. 

Soz if this has been mentioned but I cba reading through everything.

Further apologies for my next question, but does anybody know yet which way around the co-headliners are gonna play on Sunday? 

Wanna see Twenty One Pilots but hoping I don't have to sit through Post Malone!