2019 festival

Tbf up until 2016 I just knew TDCC as a "new up and coming band" because I heard them on Radio 1 about 9 years ago and they said that lmao. The odd FIFA tune too. I wouldn't say they're quite AM, Kasabian, Muse level "classic" but they're not the new wave of Indie anymore.

53 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Showing my age here but I find Two Door Cinema Club being mention as an older band absolutely mental :lol: 

yeah i kind of got carried away on my list - i mean glass animals is way more absurd than tdcc, their debut was less than 5 years ago 

3 hours ago, gfa said:

I don't see the problem - oasis singalongs take him a long way I guess.

EDIT: i'm 17 and to some extent i want to see all these older bands like Kasabian, Arctics, Muse, RHCP etc as they have all been around a while yet i have only just started going to festivals. Most of the newer acts like 1975 or Post i'm not really even interested in its the 10 year old indie acts and major headliners I like with a few exceptions quite far down the bill. A lot of people though definitely are more interested in the newer acts like 21p and 1975 but there's definitely a lot of people who want to just see the older headliners even if it just Arctics or Kasabian, plus the 00's indie acts like kooks etc and the bookings reflect this

Suspect you’re in the minority, esp judging by the crowds for Postie and Dua Lipa last year!

When I went as a teen and early 20 something I had no interest in the likes of Metallica, Page and Plant etc. Everyone is different, which is why I think Reading is so good, you get a decent mix of the Older established stuff, along with the current Zeitgeist

15 minutes ago, Benj said:

Suspect you’re in the minority, esp judging by the crowds for Postie and Dua Lipa last year!

When I went as a teen and early 20 something I had no interest in the likes of Metallica, Page and Plant etc. Everyone is different, which is why I think Reading is so good, you get a decent mix of the Older established stuff, along with the current Zeitgeist

Yeah - kind of just feels like I was born in the wrong generation I guess. 2006 to 2017 were the main years that interest me (although some of the heavier years not so much in that time)

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Yeah - kind of just feels like I was born in the wrong generation I guess. 2006 to 2017 were the main years that interest me (although some of the heavier years not so much in that time)

That's a very wide spectrum, I was 2006 to 2012 and after that felt it went downhill for a long time. Last year was a day I was actually interested enough to spend the money.

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 1:51 AM, Benj said:

Liam Gallagher subbing was seen as a bad booking at the time if I remember correctly. 

People were shocked he was so high

And yet he had one of the biggest crowds all weekend...

LG is massive, i’m not personally a fan but he’s one of those acts you’d like to say you’ve seen simply because of who he is, especially up north, on the Friday at Leeds he had the same if not a little bit of a bigger crowd than Muse. Not personally a fan though so I hope he doesn’t headline in the future

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jericode said:

It was more the fact that he'd not even released his debut solo album yet so was essentially playing the sub slot on the back of 3 singles in terms of his own material. All well and good playing Oasis songs but it isn't the same with just one Gallagher.

I’m still convinced a sub dropped out or something. Every other act that day below Muse probably should’ve been another slot back. LG could’ve been 3rd, Blossoms 4th, Giggs 5th, Architects could probably have been 6th although a bit low, ATC 7th, Vant 8th, Pins 9th and Royal Republic were added on the end as a replacement for whichever sub dropped out.

Probably a load of shit and not true but I always thought the rest of that day seemed shifted a bit higher.

6 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Guess the Prodigy for that TBC slot is off the table now. What a shame, I was a huge fan when I was younger so it's really gutting news, RIP Keith. 

Would have loved to have seen them, especially at Reading. RIP

• Like 1

I never thought they were likely to come back to Reading as not been booked since 2009. That though was one of the craziest crowds I’ve ever experienced, they blew the Arctic Monkeys (headlining after) out of the water.

Very sad news, RIP 

• Like 2

Benicassim announcement coming tomorrow - clues to who its going to be (done in a similar way to their second announcement) on their social media.

Chances of any of these acts being in the Reading announcement considering they're in the same week?

1 hour ago, Jack.194 said:

Benicassim announcement coming tomorrow - clues to who its going to be (done in a similar way to their second announcement) on their social media.

Chances of any of these acts being in the Reading announcement considering they're in the same week?

Looks like Gerry Cinnamon is one of them, he could potentially play R1, mid main? 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Boba73 said:

And yet he had one of the biggest crowds all weekend...

Indeed, when it was first announced though, loads were perplexed. 

A well received album and the playing live of loads of Oasis numbers later...

FR get these things right more often than wrong and we're often looking daft come festival time when we bitch and moan at a few of the positions.

Frank Carter is the one this year. Will be interesting to see how that works out.