2019 festival

2 minutes ago, jamieaslee said:

I'm not sure screaming girls are The 1975's entire demographic anymore...although there was a period I'd never had gone to one of their gigs for that reason.

More the fact both appeal to indie music fans...I know a lot of people who'd find that a hard decision

yes exactly, as the 1975s music has matured so has its fan base, i went to the o2 show and it wasn't just screeching fangirls, at least they make up a much smaller majority than they use to 

Just now, dum surfer said:

tbf he is right, me personally being someone who would find it hard to choose between the streets and 1975. Loads of my friends are the same 

I just though that the majority of Leeds goers are within the 17-24 band, I would have thought their preference would be 1975 but maybe I am wrong...

5 minutes ago, jamieaslee said:

I'm not sure screaming girls are The 1975's entire demographic anymore...although there was a period I'd never had gone to one of their gigs for that reason.

More the fact both appeal to indie music fans...I know a lot of people who'd find that a hard decision

I was at their gig in Sheffield and surprised at the demographic. Much more middle aged men and older groups of teen lads in bucket hats then I was expecting. Screaming teenage girl stereotype is definitely wrong now. 

3 minutes ago, Cammers said:

Maybe it was Matty's drug infused, makeup wearing, sexual exploration phase that put the teens off?

Wasn't as attractive as the angsty black and white phase really, was it?

its' probably a bit of that and that Matty can be a bit of a w*nker. but in general i think they just appeal to a wider demographic 

38 minutes ago, Cammers said:

Maybe it was Matty's drug infused, makeup wearing, sexual exploration phase that put the teens off?

Wasn't as attractive as the angsty black and white phase really, was it?

Well yes and the fact those screaming teenage girls literally grew up, the black/white album phase was over 6 years ago

Do we think there will be someone who slots in above Frank Carter? The main stage on Sunday Reading has no rap/indie whatsoever later in the day, surely someone will slot in similar to how NERD did?

Just now, Jericode said:

I honestly don't see the issue with him being third, why everyone is so desperate to move them down the bill is beyond me.

Its easy to see him moving down, and it would mean another big act could be added to the bill. No benefit of him playing so high up really to anyone, just clogging up a spot.

24 minutes ago, gfa said:

Its easy to see him moving down, and it would mean another big act could be added to the bill. No benefit of him playing so high up really to anyone, just clogging up a spot.

With Shikari possibly being a special guest opener, they might not need to put another big name in maybe? Not sure how days with special guests have been in the past 

13 minutes ago, NerdsNatterings said:

With Shikari possibly being a special guest opener, they might not need to put another big name in maybe? Not sure how days with special guests have been in the past 

I think how it is lots of people will be heading back to the campsite to return later, and its not even shikari - its just the lack of variety in acts on sunday so far

15 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I can’t see it. Frank Carter won’t look too out of place come August, I’m sure. 

Anyway, I really love the lineup. My weekend will look like this so far: 

Enter Shikari > The Story So Far > Lil Uzi Vert > The Distillers > Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes > A Day To Remember > Enter Shikari > Foo Fighters 

Twin Atlantic > Juice WRLD > Pale Waves / You Me At Six > Royal Blood > The 1975 

I don’t like much on the Sunday at Leeds. I’ll see what else gets announced but that day looks good for shooting off early. 

your foo's day is looking similar to mine. probs see shikari if the headlining pit thing is true then catch the rest of Foo's after.

24 minutes ago, gfa said:

I think how it is lots of people will be heading back to the campsite to return later, and its not even shikari - its just the lack of variety in acts on sunday so far

Yeah i do think the main stage that day needs a little more diversity, can’t see many casual reading goers/school leavers flocking to main for any act after lil uzi vert until foos

12 minutes ago, dum surfer said:

Yeah i do think the main stage that day needs a little more diversity, can’t see many casual reading goers/school leavers flocking to main for any act after lil uzi vert until foos

4 whole acts in a row that aren't rap? How will they cope?

No but seriously, I'm already suprised at how low Uzi is playing, can't see them bumping him down any earlier. An personally, my money would be on Giggs for that TBC slot (tho I dunno why he wouldn't wanna be announced yet.

And if it's any consolation, Frank Carter currently has more highlights than Post Malone on the clashfinder (I know it's early and there probably aren't that many people using it yet, but still)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

No but seriously, I'm already suprised at how low Uzi is playing, can't see them bumping him down any earlier. An personally, my money would be on Giggs for that TBC slot (tho I dunno why he wouldn't wanna be announced yet.

And if it's any consolation, Frank Carter currently has more highlights than Post Malone on the clashfinder (I know it's early and there probably aren't that many people using it yet, but still)

Could still be negotiating a fee for giggs depending on the commercial and critical success of the new album

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

Very true and tbh now i think of it most school leavers probably just stay in the dance tent and 1xtra stage all day off their face

havent been to a weekend since 2012. If it wasnt for personal circumstances I would go this year. This is the best lineup for me since then. Yes no real metal, but lots of good variety. Feel like in the last few years the lineup was skewed far too much toward 17/18 year old and below with lots of urban music in high slots, but this time there are alot more traditional reading bands in those slots. Albeit the 'classic' bands are no longer being booked. The line up seems to me to include more 'bands' than 'artists' which is a good step for the festival in my opinion.

Could the TBC be Bombay Bicycle Club? Get them finishing the night in the tent after their hiatus much like the did with Two Door Cinema Club in 2016 for their comeback show. By leaving them TBC it generates some sort of excitement around the announcement as it's a big slot left blank and makes their return even more heavily anticipated, especially if it's their only UK festival for example.

Makes very little sense to have them clashing with the 1975 and I'm personally still expecting it to be a hip hop booking but just had a couple of ideas why it might be the case. 

1 hour ago, Mattymooz said:

Frank Carter clashes only with Sundara Karma and 5 minutes of Lil Baby, both of which are pretty different fanbases. Post Malone clashes with 4 artists including Mura Masa, at the headline time which has the most big artists on at once. I think theres fair reason why Frank Carter has more highlights.

7 minutes ago, dum surfer said:

what other hip hop names could headline R1 on the 1975 day? Chance The Rapper? J. Cole? I think if Asap isn't really a wireless exclusive it would be him, but idk 

I think he is an exclusive but we've gathered over the last couple of years it doesn't really matter and it can be just used as a sneaky way to sell more tickets, not that wireless wasn't going to sell out regardless. Schoolboy Q, Logic maybe? I'd love a Beast Coast appearance but I presume that would be more directed at 1xtra if that were to happen. 

34 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

I think he is an exclusive but we've gathered over the last couple of years it doesn't really matter and it can be just used as a sneaky way to sell more tickets, not that wireless wasn't going to sell out regardless. Schoolboy Q, Logic maybe? I'd love a Beast Coast appearance but I presume that would be more directed at 1xtra if that were to happen. 

yeah i could see Logic doing it. Other than that i don't see Brockhampton returning this year now and don't see them heading R1 anyway, Skepta again maybe? after not doing last year?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Frank Carter clashes only with Sundara Karma and 5 minutes of Lil Baby, both of which are pretty different fanbases. Post Malone clashes with 4 artists including Mura Masa, at the headline time which has the most big artists on at once. I think theres fair reason why Frank Carter has more highlights.

Thats not usually the trend you see though with clashfinder highlights. Usually the headliners have pretty much the top spots on clashfinder numbers (and the other acts that get a lot reportedly get the biggest crowds emg. Post Malone and The Wombats last year). I'll see if I can dig up last years numbers to show you

10 hours ago, gfa said:

Do we think there will be someone who slots in above Frank Carter? The main stage on Sunday Reading has no rap/indie whatsoever later in the day, surely someone will slot in similar to how NERD did?

I suppose there’s also the possibility of Shikari playing between Frank and ADTR.

We might have been thrown by them being at the bottom of the line up because they wanted to make a point on them playing four times.

They need to be on pretty early so they can have a gap between the two sets but they could play early in the R1 tent them play main stage later.

Obviously early main stage/headline lock up is most likely but just throwing an alternative possibility in there.