2019 festival

I know Metacritic doesn’t really mean shit but the new 1975 album holds a score of 93 at the moment which is pretty impressive 

more on that, i can see the comparisons review outlets are making to Ok Computer theres even a track similar to fitter happier, need to give a full listen but so far it seems fairly interesting 

Edited by dum surfer
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jamieaslee said:

I'm a fan of The 1975's music anyway and think despite being a "pop band" they have always done something unique and creative, but this album really is introspective and shows they're maturing. Genuinely think RnL getting them to headline is shrewd business 

Saw them last night, the only down fall is their overly eager fanbase

• Upvote 2

Just now, MIchael_scarn said:

How'd the new stuff sound live? Really impressed by this album which I was expecting to be anyway.

Really good, especially in a venue that I feel has struggled on the sound side in the past due to being built like a night club. 

Also the fact that everyone knew every lyric also helped

Just now, Stuielooie said:

Really good, especially in a venue that I feel has struggled on the sound side in the past due to being built like a night club. 

Also the fact that everyone knew every lyric also helped

Trying to go to one of their shows in January as despite the fans not being the best they are one of the best bands I've seen live with their setup and sound. 

Still think the intro on ILIWYS is better than this albums though which I seem to be in the minority on. 

Just now, MIchael_scarn said:

Trying to go to one of their shows in January as despite the fans not being the best they are one of the best bands I've seen live with their setup and sound. 

Still think the intro on ILIWYS is better than this albums though which I seem to be in the minority on. 

I agree with you on the intro, I liked how it was slower - it made it more atmospheric

3 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

The intro was definitely different. 

I'm not a huge fan, but I couldn't pass up seeing another Reading Headliner in a small venue thanks to Banquet. 

You really then do realise how many hit-hooking songs they have 

4 minutes ago, tobydlb said:

I agree with you on the intro, I liked how it was slower - it made it more atmospheric

I remember seeing them on their last tour in which they very slowly dimmed the lights for about half an hour before the set which is quite hard to notice until it starts to get significantly darker and then they started to play the intro over the speakers and the pink square above the stage lit up. I just remember my hairs standing on end and the atmosphere becoming so electric it was quality. Don't know how the new one is going to feel live but I'm sure it'll be fine.

7 minutes ago, Stuielooie said:

The intro was definitely different. 

I'm not a huge fan, but I couldn't pass up seeing another Reading Headliner in a small venue thanks to Banquet. 

You really then do realise how many hit-hooking songs they have 

Yeah I've followed them since their first album which is quite significantly different from the previous two but I still seem to love the music they produce which I feel like I shouldn't do?

I’ve never been a 1975 fan but I gave the new album a try (pardon the pun) and it’s better than I expected. I don’t see it as anything close to OK Computer but the sounds are there, the ambient pianos and beats are very Radiohead esque, but in parts a little too much that I just kind of cringe. Petrichor’s beat is so close to Idioteque it annoys me. I do think this is their time to headline and as a band they’ve progressed, looking forward to the second part of the album.

2 minutes ago, R Shah said:

Saw YMA6 at Brixton last night and they teased at least 10 times they're playing Reading on the Friday.  

Reckon they'll be 4th down main. If TDCC, Catfish or Vampire Weekend sub that's looking a great day.

Yep sounds about right. I reckon there’ll be a top 5 run of Brockhampton > You Me at Six > Bombay Bicycle Club > Two Door Cinema Club > The 1975

11 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Yep sounds about right. I reckon there’ll be a top 5 run of Brockhampton > You Me at Six > Bombay Bicycle Club > Two Door Cinema Club > The 1975

Controversial, I was there last night and I think they were going on about it because they have a high slot. Especially after closing NME last year, I feel like FR will bum YMAS in terms when it comes to RnL. Going to go with 3rd or even 2nd on main stage. 

Where are you hearing that Bombay are back? 

7 minutes ago, Stuielooie said:

Controversial, I was there last night and I think they were going on about it because they have a high slot. Especially after closing NME last year, I feel like FR will bum YMAS in terms when it comes to RnL. Going to go with 3rd or even 2nd on main stage. 

Where are you hearing that Bombay are back? 

Nah can’t see them subbing the main now, their time for slots like that has been and gone. They’re definitely on their way down lineups now - look at the slots they’ve been getting at smaller festivals than R&L. They could maybe get 3rd main/R1 headliner again at a push but that would be a pretty shit booking.

Edit - oh and apparently Bombay are back for festivals next year, someone on here with a pretty good rep seemed pretty confident about it.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

4 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Nah can’t see them subbing the main now, their time for slots like that has been and gone. They’re definitely on their way down lineups now - look at the slots they’ve been getting at smaller festivals than R&L. They could maybe get 3rd main/R1 headliner again at a push but that would be a pretty shit booking.

Edit - oh and apparently Bombay are back for festivals next year, someone on here with a pretty good rep seemed pretty confident about it.

I feel with how they were hyping up the festival, and that they see Reading as their home town festival they probably will get a high slot. Definitely 3rd I think. 

3 hours ago, Stuielooie said:

I feel with how they were hyping up the festival, and that they see Reading as their home town festival they probably will get a high slot. Definitely 3rd I think. 

I agree third down. I know we can see they’re not as big as they were or could’ve been but FR still clearly think something of them, having booked them on at Download and Community in the one year off Reading and Leeds, so they probably aren’t interested in gradually sinking them down the bill.

The 1975 - Two Door - YMAS seems about right.