2019 festival

18 minutes ago, Walliot said:

Bands are releasing music that just falls flat, people like Arctic Monkeys will not draw in anybody from the younger crowd with TBHaC and the only people they would attract are 1/10th of the crowd that went 10 years ago after their first two albums because that crowd are adults who do adult things not festivals.

I think this is pretty unfair to say - I reckon they would have got a better reaction than Foo Fighters and AM is always played at like parties and stuff whereas you would never hear Foo Fighters. I don't really listen to Foos so called me biased but like 20 people in my year of 200 saw AM at the o2 this year, about 3 or 4 saw Foos at Wembley Stadium - AM cover a wider range of audience maybe not as well towards the top, but Readings days of having a sizeable adult audience (minus day tickets) are down the drain, they may as well get acts who attract both audiences like AM or Eminem, or simply like Post Malone etc as there's not much point getting fully older acts. Obviously I am happy they got Foos but they aren't really attracting me to go and none of my friends want to go either as we don't really like any of the headliners, similar to last year minus some friends who like Kendrick. Also half the arctics set is AM anyway, like 4 tbhc songs are played and the ones people get most excited for are from the first two albums anyway, as long as they have a good set it will go down really well.

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

I think this is pretty unfair to say - I reckon they would have got a better reaction than Foo Fighters and AM is always played at like parties and stuff whereas you would never hear Foo Fighters. I don't really listen to Foos so called me biased but like 20 people in my year of 200 saw AM at the o2 this year, about 3 or 4 saw Foos at Wembley Stadium - AM cover a wider range of audience maybe not as well towards the top, but Readings days of having a sizeable adult audience (minus day tickets) are down the drain, they may as well get acts who attract both audiences like AM or Eminem, or simply like Post Malone etc as there's not much point getting fully older acts. Obviously I am happy they got Foos but they aren't really attracting me to go and none of my friends want to go either as we don't really like any of the headliners, similar to last year minus some friends who like Kendrick. Also half the arctics set is AM anyway, like 4 tbhc songs are played and the ones people get most excited for are from the first two albums anyway, as long as they have a good set it will go down really well.

Well, those 3-4 people in your year definitely had a better time than the 20 that went to an AM show haha. Only joking but comparing my shows at Foos concerts to my show at AM, AM were literally on a very low scale for myself. I agree with you that AM are played at like every party ever but if I'm at a party, people are going to be listening and singing to a few Foo songs ;) 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, gfa said:

Reading has always been like that, I’m now one of the old fogues that go, this will be my 23rd year on the bounce I think.

The second year I went 98, Page and Plant played (you may need to google them) and Beatie Boys headlined. 

Music for Old people I thought and I went to see Super Furry Animals and Travis/ Bentley Rythym Ace instead, at that time v cool up and coming indie bands (we’ll BRA were dances but whatever).  

Now SFA and Travis are very much music for old people, times change, except they don’t

I was one of the many who couldn’t get near the FR tent (or Calring tent or whatever it was called) back in 2004/5/whenever it was)

Give it another 5 years and kids like you now will be thinking AM are the music for old people and you’ll be as shocked as me when I met a couple of 18ish year olds who swore they were going to  AFI over Blur in 2003, as Blur was music for Old People!

To be honest, I’m amazed that AM still have such a youthful appeal, I pretty much consider them music for old people these days

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Reading books what is popular.

In the early 00s when the whole garage rock / indie thing was massive, they were booking acts like The Strokes, The White Stripes and The Hives in high slots. 

Move to the mid 00s when 'emo' was massive, they were booking FOB, Panic!, Paramore and MCR often. 

Late 00s it was your Bloc Party and Editors type bands because that was really popular at the time. 

Right now it is acts like Post Malone, Travis Scott, TOP and acts like scarlxrd, $uicideboys$, Lil Pump and the like that are really popular so they get booked. 

Reading is a zeitgeist festival and they always have been. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Alex was so off his face that when he tried talking to the crowd he couldn't and slurred some of the lyrics to his old stuff. Think they even cut the set short. Ever since that I've lost any interest in them headlining the festival. 

This is pretty much the state of their set at Sziget last year. They were supposed to be closing the festival but they just brought no energy, no excitement, no encore. I think the sum total of Alex's crowd interaction was "all the girls in the crowd say hey". It was a bit of an embarrassment really. 

21 minutes ago, On The Blend said:

This is pretty much the state of their set at Sziget last year. They were supposed to be closing the festival but they just brought no energy, no excitement, no encore. I think the sum total of Alex's crowd interaction was "all the girls in the crowd say hey". It was a bit of an embarrassment really. 

Theyre still a decent band, with widespread appeal but incomparable to bands like the Foos live.

I would say the best thing about the AM show I went to were the skinny fries and mayo I got at the O2. In all honesty, I really like AM. I don't mind their new stuff but I prefer their old stuff (most will agree). I was excited to see them but I did get a little bored and disappointed through their set. The last 20-30 minutes were great but other than that, I just didn't feel the energy they used to bring in there shows a few years ago. I mean, Alex couldn't even shout LADIESSSSS before singing "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor". I will most probs go see them again but not in any rush for them to be announced at R&L or anywhere like that. If they are there, I will go watch I won't lie. 

Edit - TBF, they have played I Bet You Look Good a MILLION times so im sure they are bored of it which might explain the small amounts of energy?? 

Edited by The All Round Ball :|

55 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Reading is a zeitgeist festival and they always have been. 

Exactly, which is why I keep going back and why Reading has always been a constant while other festivals have come and gone  

I may not be the norm but last thing I want is to be seeing the same old bands over and over again. 

Foo Fighters (having first seen them at Reading 98 I think) are one of the few I don’t mind seeing once every 3-4 years (along with Muse) as the show is always excellent. 

This years headliners really excite me

Man the headliners arnt great doesn't appeal to any hip hop ye posty but he's not hype plus he was there last year so it aint appealing to much:

The 1975 = Teen girls 

Twenty one Pilots = goths and mainstream rubbish

foo fighters = The BEST people in the world and the only thing making me want to go 

Edited by bigcharlie65
  • Downvote 16

55 minutes ago, bigcharlie65 said:

Man the headliners arnt great doesn't appeal to any hip hop ye posty but he's not hype plus he was there last year so it aint appealing to much:

The 1975 = Teen girls 

foo fighters = The BEST people in the world and the only thing making me want to go 

There have been some dumb posts on these forums but this one takes the biscuit.

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, bigcharlie65 said:

The 1975 = Teen girls 

TIL I'm the BEST Teen Goth Girl.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, The All Round Ball :| said:

Well, those 3-4 people in your year definitely had a better time than the 20 that went to an AM show haha. Only joking but comparing my shows at Foos concerts to my show at AM, AM were literally on a very low scale for myself. I agree with you that AM are played at like every party ever but if I'm at a party, people are going to be listening and singing to a few Foo songs ;) 

Yeah I might agree with that - AM were shit live, basically no interaction and a pretty weak setlist but it doesn't matter too much with reading. Few people who saw them in 2014 would still be going vs many other festivals in the same time frame, and its not like there isn't demand for them. I'm not dying to see them again live but plenty of people did miss out on tickets for AM in September/didn't want to cough up almost £80 for them.

4 hours ago, Walliot said:

10 years ago they had kings of leon, arctic monkeys and radiohead. Kings of Leon had released 1 hit album with 2 known songs on, Arctic Monkeys were an upcoming british indie band with 1 hit album and a couple of british known indie tunes starting to hit the top 20 in charts, Radiohead were 10-15 years after any actual real success and were living on that wave releasing music that was flopping. Like we look now and say what a lineup, but it wasnt, it was emphatically less succesful than 2019s.

I’m actually impressed that from all my time on eFests this is probably the most wrong statement I’ve come across. And I look at the politics discussions! ?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Walliot said:

Radiohead were 10-15 years after any actual real success and were living on that wave releasing music that was flopping. Like we look now and say what a lineup, but it wasnt, it was emphatically less succesful than 2019s.

I’m sorry but this is ridiculous, Radiohead are probably one of the most continually successful and innovative bands who headlined off the back of arguably their best album. They didn’t just release Ok Computer and after that everyone forgot about them. 

4 minutes ago, OFWGKTA said:

Noel Gallagher to headline This Is Tomorrow in May.. if he plays RandL could he potentially sub one of the headliners like Liam and Courteeners have done in the last two years? or he could make a strong headliner of Radio 1 potentially up against The 1975 or Post

R1 I would have thought.

5 hours ago, Walliot said:

Radiohead  were 10-15 years after any actual real success and were living on that wave releasing music that was flopping. Like we look now and say what a lineup, but it wasnt, it was emphatically less succesful than 2019s.

Every album apart from kings of limbs after ok computer went to number 1.