2019 festival

6 minutes ago, dum surfer said:

Like as a closing set on the radio 1 stage, maybe afte blossoms or on another day 

12 minutes ago, jamieaslee said:

Where would Chase & Status fit in? Presuming you mean live and not DJ set. - Headline R1? Sub main?

Can’t see C+S subbing. Did an academy tour recently, which didn’t sell that quickly. Blossoms on the other hand have been doing amazing with their live show sales (although maybe I notice that more from being in Manchester ;) )

NME headline could be feasible, with a decent live show.

3 minutes ago, jamieaslee said:

Thoughts on this if true?

Presume they would sub since they headlined R1 last time...

Screenshot_20181121-231357_Twitter.jpg

Was expecting something like this tonight when I saw they were playing Leeds. Will be 4th down on Main by now I reckon, would be a really weak third down. Pretty much fallen off a cliff on the last two albums and played 3rd at Community, below Two Door who are just about a sub, and Vaccines who are eternally third.

Edited by frontsidecab
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, frontsidecab said:

Was expecting something like this tonight when I saw they were playing Leeds. Will be 4th down on Main by now I reckon, would be a really weak third down. Pretty much fallen off a cliff on the last two albums and played 3rd at Community, below Two Door who are just about a sub, and Vaccines who are eternally third.

So say they're announced and play 4th, which day would they suit and who could play in between?

The last few Leeds lineups really make me fear for the future festival lineups in 20 years time when all the truly great bands are either retired or dead and this is the shit we will be left with.

18 minutes ago, moz4pm said:

The last few Leeds lineups really make me fear for the future festival lineups in 20 years time when all the truly great bands are either retired or dead and this is the shit we will be left with.

I'm sure people were saying the same thing 20 years ago pal.

Im going through the headliners from the last 11 years and their success at the time of headlining, putting it all in an excel sheet to see if people are right that it has considerably dropped off lately...been pretty surprising to be fair. Will post the results when im done cause inevitably some people will be interested.

Calculating scores based on the prior 10 years to headlining (but special note for old old bands) on:

1. Number times albums gone platinum

2. Number times albums gone gold

3. Their latest album and its peak position prior to performing

4. Number times singles gone platinum

5. Number times singles gone gold

6. Number of singles that got to number 1

7. Number of singles in the top 10

9 hours ago, frontsidecab said:

3rd at Community, however that was in the inbetween album phase. 

I'm assuming 3rd or 4th on Co-headline day.

Are people on twitter just putting "worst line up ever" and shit like that because they didn't get there beloved Arctic Monkeys? I mean its far from the worst line up. Way better than last years IMO (based of headliners). Just annoys me how everyone on twitter is salty about AM not being there but they were not rumoured at all so why would they think any less. PLUS they are bland as fuck these days. I saw them at the O2 and they are not what they used to be. It's more of a relaxed show rather than a hype and jumpy show.

1 minute ago, The All Round Ball :| said:

Are people on twitter just putting "worst line up ever" and shit like that because they didn't get there beloved Arctic Monkeys? I mean its far from the worst line up. Way better than last years IMO (based of headliners). Just annoys me how everyone on twitter is salty about AM not being there but they were not rumoured at all so why would they think any less. PLUS they are bland as fuck these days. I saw them at the O2 and they are not what they used to be. It's more of a relaxed show rather than a hype and jumpy show.

It's because its not Arctic Monkeys, LG, Courteneers or Oasis

11 minutes ago, The All Round Ball :| said:

people moaning about the Reading line-up? That's never happened before.

:P 

32 minutes ago, The All Round Ball :| said:

Saw them in Sheffield a few months back, which is a good 5 hour all round drive, as my first chance being able to see them live and they were so mediocre it was unreal. Alex was so off his face that when he tried talking to the crowd he couldn't and slurred some of the lyrics to his old stuff. Think they even cut the set short. Ever since that I've lost any interest in them headlining the festival. 

39 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Saw them in Sheffield a few months back, which is a good 5 hour all round drive, as my first chance being able to see them live and they were so mediocre it was unreal. Alex was so off his face that when he tried talking to the crowd he couldn't and slurred some of the lyrics to his old stuff. Think they even cut the set short. Ever since that I've lost any interest in them headlining the festival. 

I seem to have had a different experience seeing AM to everyone else this year, went to the Friday show in Sheffield and they were brilliant. Jumping around to R U Mine? is up there with one of my best moments at a gig.

Maybe I'm a bit of a Arctic Monkeys Stan or maybe people just love to hate them; I also quite like the new album, but understand why others don't and think it should probably have been a Alex Turner solo album.

Having said that, if the next one has more guitar in it, imagine it would be forgiven. - I remember Humbug recieving a pretty bad reaction to begin with

Edited by jamieaslee

4 minutes ago, Oliver420 said:

Anyone know when day tickets are on sale? Website only showing weekend, early bird, and carparking.

Day tickets are on there. They go on sale tomorrow at 9am :) 

https://www.readingfestival.com/tickets

https://www.leedsfestival.com/tickets

Edited by The All Round Ball :|

They complain because they are kids with no concept of 

A. Money

B. Times change

C. Peoples capability

D. Nostalgia =/= Real life

FR don't have a bottomless money pit where they can get the most expensive bands around and make them play amazing and pay for elite stage productions and sets.

Bands are releasing music that just falls flat, people like Arctic Monkeys will not draw in anybody from the younger crowd with TBHaC and the only people they would attract are 1/10th of the crowd that went 10 years ago after their first two albums because that crowd are adults who do adult things not festivals.

FR can't bring bands back from the dead, musicians from the dead, out of retirement, out of a break up, or make anybody play that doesnt want to.

Because they have fond memories through rose tinted glasses of when they had "great bands" perform it doesn't mean it was so. If you look at the bands that you would say "oh, wow. What a line up" now, based on the success they went on to have. They didnt have that success factor when they headlined. 10 years ago they had kings of leon, arctic monkeys and radiohead. Kings of Leon had released 1 hit album with 2 known songs on, Arctic Monkeys were an upcoming british indie band with 1 hit album and a couple of british known indie tunes starting to hit the top 20 in charts, Radiohead were 10-15 years after any actual real success and were living on that wave releasing music that was flopping. Like we look now and say what a lineup, but it wasnt, it was emphatically less succesful than 2019s.

• Downvote 2