2019 festival

22 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Do you reckon 21p and Post Malone was a replacement for someone? Considering PM played last year and if they had 21P in mind for an outright headline they would have booked them as such?

I think Post was booked last, and they were trying for someone bigger - but that's guesswork/assumption from various bits and pieces that came my way.

2 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

I’m surprised by how few people are complaining about a headliner playing last year. I’m also not complaining, I think it’s a good booking, but y’know. 

I think it's cos you can't really argue with the booking. He's immensely popular right now, perfect for the demographic of R&L, seems to appeal to rock fans more than any other modern hip hop act that they could book, got the biggest crowd (?) of the festival last year at 4pm. Seems plausible that they went for Drake or someone similar with Posty in their back pocket if it fell through.

3 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

I’m surprised by how few people are complaining about a headliner playing last year. I’m also not complaining, I think it’s a good booking, but y’know. 

I think it's because he's still relatively new and extremely popular at this current point, it's evident why FR booked him to return, whether you like him or not. However, looking at FoB last year it was much more confusing and underwhelming at the time as they haven't really been relevant enough for headline status for a while. 

On 8/30/2018 at 12:58 AM, TOMHAMPTON said:

Tbh I reckon Post Malone could possibly be the usual rap headliner next year. Drew a big crowd this year and his set was very impressive for as short as it was.

Damn, I really wasn't expecting to be right on this ?, but hey ho I rate Post Malone so I'm not complaining 

56 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Do people reckon the 7pm announcement is the one we already have?

Don't see why they'd have made a poster that would become outdated in less than 12 hours, and considering half the lineup wasn't announced on air I would be very suprised if anyone else is announced (except maybe Circa Waves I guess)

21 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

15 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I think it's cos you can't really argue with the booking. He's immensely popular right now, perfect for the demographic of R&L, seems to appeal to rock fans more than any other modern hip hop act that they could book, got the biggest crowd (?) of the festival last year at 4pm. Seems plausible that they went for Drake or someone similar with Posty in their back pocket if it fell through.

This basically ^, he got easily a sub crowd this year and was the direct booking for Reading is he was about.

2 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

I reckon because of recent years it’s not that shocking anymore. It’s not the worst thing reading could do

plus it seems to be happening across all festivals now. Acts are returning sooner

Couple of questions:

Money: Do we expect that these headliners cost a similar amount to last and therefore should expect a similar undercard?

Praise: Is this one of the most accepted bunch of overall headliners/first announcement for a couple of years? One of the reasons I say this is that I don't see many "WHERE'S ARCTIC MONKEYS" comments on social media.

On a side note, I personally really like this first announcement, mostly for the headliners but I'm really interested to see what goes up against them on the R1 stage and also what we get on specific days like Foos and whether it will be tailored to 'that audience'.

19 minutes ago, Cammers said:

Couple of questions:

Money: Do we expect that these headliners cost a similar amount to last and therefore should expect a similar undercard?

Praise: Is this one of the most accepted bunch of overall headliners/first announcement for a couple of years? One of the reasons I say this is that I don't see many "WHERE'S ARCTIC MONKEYS" comments on social media.

On a side note, I personally really like this first announcement, mostly for the headliners but I'm really interested to see what goes up against them on the R1 stage and also what we get on specific days like Foos and whether it will be tailored to 'that audience'.

I don’t think so, supposedly Kendrick was the most they ever paid for an artist, something along the lines of 6 million was floating around. I don’t reckon 21P or The 1975 cost too much, so I’m expecting a fairly decent undercard (despite the fact we have bastille on the lineup, but thats just one act). 

I agree the reaction on social media seems much more positive as opposed to when this years lineup was announced, i think these are bands and artists people genuinely like. Overall I don’t think there are any real head scratchers like this year when we had FoB

I agree its a decent first announcement bar a few names they announced on the undercard. Some good names are Billie Eilish whilst more pop is excellent for how old she is and bands like the distillers are a good booking. 

Edited by dum surfer

5 minutes ago, dum surfer said:

I don’t think so, supposedly Kendrick was the most they ever paid for an artist, something along the lines of 6 million was floating around. I don’t reckon 21P or The 1975 cost too much, so I’m expecting a fairly decent undercard (despite the fact we have bastille on the lineup, but thats just one act). 

I agree the reaction on social media seems much more positive as opposed to when this years lineup was announced, i think these are bands and artists people genuinely like. Overall I don’t think there are any real head scratchers like this year when we had FoB

I agree its a decent first announcement bar a few names they announced on the undercard, Billie Eilish whilst more pop is excellent for how old she is and bands like the distillers are a good booking. 

Agree on the monetary side. The fact that Foos are in Ireland beforehand probably lowered their cost, rather than being a one off trip to the UK as an exclusive. That in turn should give them a bit more headroom for a decent line up across the board.

Really looking forward to their next announcement (probably next year) where they flesh out the stages and we get a better feeling of day by day direction... that said, we know FR like to mix things up and put genres against each other. 

We sometimes get an EDM themed closing set on R1, wondering who that could be next year if they do that. Silk City? Noisia?

3 minutes ago, Cammers said:

Agree on the monetary side. The fact that Foos are in Ireland beforehand probably lowered their cost, rather than being a one off trip to the UK as an exclusive. That in turn should give them a bit more headroom for a decent line up across the board.

Really looking forward to their next announcement (probably next year) where they flesh out the stages and we get a better feeling of day by day direction... that said, we know FR like to mix things up and put genres against each other. 

We sometimes get an EDM themed closing set on R1, wondering who that could be next year if they do that. Silk City? Noisia?

Yes definitely, although I’m not sure how much they would have had to pay for Post Malone considering his solo shows were £80. But I doubt it was any near the region of Kendrick. 

Yeah it seems FR like to mix genres together to keep people moving from stage to stage and give people multiple reasons to go for more than one day. We have quite a diverse set of headliners so am expecting a diverse undercard hopefully as good as this years. A combination of 2019s good headliners and a good undercard like this years would make for a very good weekend. 

Silk City has been thrown around quite a bit on the forum so could see them being very possible, or perhaps even a Chase & Status or something would be appealing to me

25 minutes ago, dum surfer said:

Yes definitely, although I’m not sure how much they would have had to pay for Post Malone considering his solo shows were £80. But I doubt it was any near the region of Kendrick. 

Yeah it seems FR like to mix genres together to keep people moving from stage to stage and give people multiple reasons to go for more than one day. We have quite a diverse set of headliners so am expecting a diverse undercard hopefully as good as this years. A combination of 2019s good headliners and a good undercard like this years would make for a very good weekend. 

Silk City has been thrown around quite a bit on the forum so could see them being very possible, or perhaps even a Chase & Status or something would be appealing to me

Where would Chase & Status fit in? Presuming you mean live and not DJ set. - Headline R1? Sub main?

What Ive heard and goes with what has gone on here with leaks, they got Foos early this year while booking this years 4some. They then got 1975 aswell about a month before they announced publically they have a new album as well as Bastille. Then they got 21 Pilots when pre album release reviews were glowing. The album did not do as they thought so they panicked and tried to book a headline to go after them and steady the ship. They blew a load on Foos and so couldnt get Drake (more than Kendrick) as he did not come cheap at all who they wanted initially so they went for Post who has about as much album success but will now (looking forwards and upwards for him) have made his name at Reading and so can be a come back star in the future. 

• Downvote 1