2019 festival

21 minutes ago, Jericode said:

I mean they announced them all in one go last year, why wouldn't they?

Last year they announced them all in February though, which meant they had already missed the opportunity for 3 months of sales and xmas tickets because they knew they had a weak line-up (everyone expecting foos and arctics getting FOB for the 5th time in 8 years and Kings of Leon), and Kendrick didn't even have a full HL set for himself.

They literally had all these early buys because EVERYBODY had heard rumours that Arcitc Monkeys were returning. 

If they are announcing all 3 now then you can only assume they have some absolutely huge headliners that they think will shift tickets over all other festivals for xmas this year.

Edited by Chad888

11 minutes ago, bigcharlie65 said:

I'm liking your thinking Tame Impala, Anderson. Paak and I think Vampire Weekend would be like brilliant 

Saw Tame Last year at Citadel and they were absolutely insane so would love to see them again

Would like all three, but how likely are TI and VW? 

1 minute ago, Chad888 said:

Last year they announced them all in February though, which meant they had already missed the opportunity for 3 months of sales and xmas tickets because they knew they had a weak line-up (everyone expecting foos and arctics getting FOB for the 5th time in 8 years and Kings of Leon), and Kendrick didn't even have a full HL set for himself.

If they are announcing all 3 now then you can only assume they have some absolutely huge headliners that they think will shift tickets over all other festivals for xmas this year.

Let's hope for the latter 

17 minutes ago, michelinj said:

New poster on here I went to reading for the first time last year as a 16year old. Personally I’d LOVE drake to be there as I’m a huge fan as are many of my peers but I understand the views of the people who have been going for the 5-10-15 years etc. 

Tbh even though he’s massive drake just bores me - and I’m a 17 year old who went for the first time last year. Would much rather go and see any of the other rappers mentioned besides post really

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, michelinj said:

New poster on here I went to reading for the first time last year as a 16year old. Personally I’d LOVE drake to be there as I’m a huge fan as are many of my peers but I understand the views of the people who have been going for the 5-10-15 years etc. 

I think the 5-10-15 year legacy attendees are a little sore over the route R&L seems to have taken. They went from Strokes, Guns N Roses, Foo Fighters, Prodigy, Blur, Metallica, Linkin Park, Pixies, Iron Maiden all headlining between 10-15 years ago. To Muse, Fall out Boy, P!atD, Eminem, Kasabian, Biffy Clyro, Foals, Disclosure headlining now. Like it has taken a major dive from the rock festival it once was. Now the talk is tween pop band 1975 and 21 pilots and hip pop star Drake headlining.

3 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

I think the 5-10-15 year legacy attendees are a little sore over the route R&L seems to have taken. They went from Strokes, Guns N Roses, Foo Fighters, Prodigy, Blur, Metallica, Linkin Park, Pixies, Iron Maiden all headlining between 10-15 years ago. To Muse, Fall out Boy, P!atD, Eminem, Kasabian, Biffy Clyro, Foals, Disclosure headlining now. Like it has taken a major dive from the rock festival it once was. Now the talk is tween pop band 1975 and 21 pilots and hip pop star Drake headlining.

Fucking hell you have to either be trolling or stupid at this point.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, VCK said:

I dunno, Kendrick lacks the aggression that made classic West Coat Hip Hop so good. You listen to someone like Ice Cube, you almost feel intimidated because of how much anger and conviction is in his voice. Kendrick is too laid back in comparison.

That took a while.

Edited by ConorC

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I wouldn’t mind but Cube’s style is pretty individual and it’s not like other classic West Coast rappers like 2pac, Eazy E and Snoop Dogg were trying to scare ya with their delivery. You could have said back then that they were too laid back.

Not only that I don't really see why they have to crossover and appeal to those that wouldn't usually like Hip Hop? Just don't see them and watch someone on another stage. - Don't think I've ever seen a Hip Hop fan moaning that Metallica doesn't appeal to Hip Hop fans.

Edited by jamieaslee
grammar

Just now, Rhysob99 said:

Greg James specifically said he has ALL the headliners (and yes he did use the word “all”). He said he would announce them “exclusively at 7:40” tomorrow morning.

what radio stations is he lol

6 minutes ago, Rhysob99 said:

Greg James specifically said he has ALL the headliners (and yes he did use the word “all”). He said he would announce them “exclusively at 7:40” tomorrow morning.

That is really f-ing annoying, I leave for ork at 0630 and get there for 0715. Guess I'll have to sit in the car for an extra 30 mins! At least it is Greg announcing them now, cause I couldn't stand Grimshaw and would have never known that Reading was announced if he was still on mornings.

20 minutes ago, jamieaslee said:

Not only that I don't really see why they have to crossover and appeal to those that wouldn't usually like Hip Hop? Just don't see them and watch someone on another stage. - Don't think I've ever seen a Hip Hop fan moaning that Metallica doesn't appeal to Hip Hop fans.

Because rock fans will moan that its "their festival". They moan that its a rock festival with hip hop headliners. They already get annoyed that there is a R1 Xtra stage and R1 pop music stage rather than the pit, lockup and solid NME stage at "their rock festival".

• Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Because rock fans will moan that its "their festival". They moan that its a rock festival with hip hop headliners. They already get annoyed that there is a R1 Xtra stage and R1 pop music stage rather than the pit, lockup and solid NME stage at "their rock festival".

Sounds as though you have a bee in your bonet about rock fans too which doesn't help prove my point. I thought it was a popular music festival which moves with the times. I am hoping for Foos though, they were great at the Etihad this summer

11 minutes ago, jamieaslee said:

Sounds as though you have a bee in your bonet about rock fans too which doesn't help prove my point. I thought it was a popular music festival which moves with the times. I am hoping for Foos though, they were great at the Etihad this summer

The first 30 or so pages of this thread and the thread for last years predictions was full of old timers (who admitted they hadnt even been in 10 years) complaining that they used to get "great headline acts" like Metallica, Guns n Roses, Stone Roses, Blur, RATM, Manic Street Preachers and now they have people like Kendrick Lamar and Eminem making repeat HL slots, and an undercard that is heavy on rap, hip hop, grime and pop. Someone a few pages back was crying that George Ezra was suggested as a mid slot on the main stage as "the death of reading".

Heck, even the Wikipedia page for the festival says:

Stages

The festival typically has the following stages

• Main Stage – major rock, indie, metal and alternative acts.
  • NME/Radio 1 stage – less well-known acts, building up to an alternative headline act.
  • Dance tent – dance music acts, previously sharing a day with the Lock Up stage, now a stand-alone 3-day stage.
  • Lock Up Stage (Can be known as Pit Stage) – underground punk and hardcore acts.[23] Due to demand, from 2006 this stage took up two days rather than previous years where it was only one day.
  • Festival Republic stage (formerly known as the Carling stage) – acts with less popular appeal and breakthrough acts.
  • 1Xtra Stage – new stage for 2013 that stages Hip-Hop, RnB and Rap artists.
Edited by Chad888