2019 festival

1 hour ago, dum surfer said:

I don’t think you can rule out drake being a co-head, ffs kendrick lamar the biggest rapper in the world at the moment co-headlined with panic (not that i dislike panic), never thought kendrick would ever be a co-headline. I think anything is possible nowawdays at r&l.

Yes absolutely. The thing about ‘headline status but not headlining’ means they can put a fuckin headliner on at 3pm if they wanted (and the act agreed to it). Kendrick coheadlining (if you can call it that) clearly doesn’t conform to the idea of acts being not big enough to headline outright and all that shit so I don’t know why it’d be ruled out for anyone else that they could have another headliner on their day.

21 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

When you think about relevant rapper that brings back old school Compton N.W.A. style vibes that music appreciators like (and lets face it, that is what rock music fans are, they like the product over the brand which is what Post, Pump, Drake etc are), Kendrick Lamar is the first name that comes to mind. He is like the classic mould of a across genres rapper. I remember 5 years ago you would walk past groups of kids  smoking a J on park benches that would be playing indie tunes on their phones intermixed with Kendrick.

I dunno, Kendrick lacks the aggression that made classic West Coat Hip Hop so good. You listen to someone like Ice Cube, you almost feel intimidated because of how much anger and conviction is in his voice. Kendrick is too laid back in comparison.

1 hour ago, jamieaslee said:

You think Kanye, Post Malone and Drake are all better rappers than Kendrick?

It's generally understood in the hip hop community that Kendrick is a far better rapper, I wouldn't even consider Drake to be hip hop anymore, falls under pop for me.

There's a lot of really good hip hop being released at the moment, would be good to see festivals backing that rather than going after trends like Lil Pump.

I'm not sure he was comparing just their streams, think it was more a comparison of skill/ talent.

Imagine Dragons? If we're going down this route, we would have Ariana Grande headlining RnL...

Populairty doesn't always mean it's actually any good or would suit the festival. Although, I do think Drake would be a good fit, especially alongside Foos for diverse headliners and ticket sales.

I would argue the demographic is based on who is booked and not the other way around; if big rock bands are booked you will get rock fans.

Since when has talent been a determining factor on how big an artist is?

i agree i think kendrick is bigger than Post Malone 

ignoring the talent debate, personally i think a 21P/Drake co-head would go down quite well, they're different genres yet have quite a crossover of fans, the average reading attendee would go for ride, stressed out, heathens and a few others and stay at main stage for drake. I think it makes the most sense, i can't see 21P placing anywhere else 

20 minutes ago, VCK said:

I dunno, Kendrick lacks the aggression that made classic West Coat Hip Hop so good. You listen to someone like Ice Cube, you almost feel intimidated because of how much anger and conviction is in his voice. Kendrick is too laid back in comparison.

listen to blacker the berry

• Like 1

Just now, dum surfer said:

even in DNA you can hear Kendrick's aggression and anger come through when he goes hard at the end of the song 

and on FEEL. at one point I'm pretty sure. "U" as well, Kendrick has so many voices you must have only scracthed the surface to think he's too chill

7 minutes ago, jamieaslee said:

Any chance of Anderson .Paak being booked?

Yeah there's quite a substantial chance he'll be booked as he has history at the festival and he has a new album out but we'll have to see how his tour plays out but I think he'll be high Radio 1 stage possibly subbing or low on main stage around 4-5 down. 

5 minutes ago, bigcharlie65 said:

Yeah there's quite a substantial chance he'll be booked as he has history at the festival and he has a new album out but we'll have to see how his tour plays out but I think he'll be high Radio 1 stage possibly subbing or low on main stage around 4-5 down. 

Lol no chance that high.

7th down R1 stage maybe. He is about as succesful and popular as Brockhampton were when they were initially booked. They were 7th down R1 stage.

Compare 4/5 on Main Stage previous years:

J Hus, Dua Lipa, The Wombats, Jimmy Eat World, Giggs, At the drive in, BBK, A$AP Rocky, Slaves, All time low, Jamie T, Alexisonfire, Enter Shikari, You me at six.

Anderson Paak is an absolute nobody in comparison.

7 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Lol no chance that high.

7th down R1 stage maybe. He is about as succesful and popular as Brockhampton were when they were initially booked. They were 7th down R1 stage.

Compare 4/5 on Main Stage previous years:

J Hus, Dua Lipa, The Wombats, Jimmy Eat World, Giggs, At the drive in, BBK, A$AP Rocky, Slaves, All time low, Jamie T, Alexisonfire, Enter Shikari, You me at six.

Anderson Paak is an absolute nobody in comparison.

Just had an album executive produced by Dr. Dre which features Kendrick, J. Cole, Pusha T, Q-Tip, etc. and widely regarded as the next big thing in hip hop.

He's being promoted all over billboards, beats, apple music and spotify with Dre pushing him.

Wouldn't surprise me if he was placed around 5th main stage or 2nd/ 3rd Radio 1.

Question really for me was is he a RnL type booking?

Edit: Just checked and he played 1Xtra in 2016 so maybe he wouldn't be pushed up quite so much.

Edited by jamieaslee
checked answer
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jamieaslee said:

Question really for me was is he a RnL type booking?

He played in 2016, so yeah.

And he’s obviously not gonna be 7th R1. The lowest he’ll be is 2nd R1.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn