2019 festival

When it comes to classic Hip Hop rather than modern Hip Hop Glastonbury have been better at booking artists than R&L. This decade they've had Public Enemy, Nas, Wu Tang, Snoop Dogg and De La Soul, all of which would be fantastic bookings for any festival.

Nas did play R&L in 2016 which I thought was a real coup since many regard him to be the greatest rapper of all time, but by all reports his crowd wasn't great

Just now, VCK said:

When it comes to classic Hip Hop rather than modern Hip Hop Glastonbury have been better at booking artists than R&L. This decade they've had Public Enemy, Nas, Wu Tang, Snoop Dogg and De La Soul, all of which would be fantastic bookings for any festival.

Nas did play R&L in 2016 which I thought was a real coup since many regard him to be the greatest rapper of all time, but by all reports his crowd wasn't great

R&L hardly book any acts from any genre from the 90s anymore though - the lineup appeals to a much younger audience than Glastonbury. Skimming over last years lineup I can't see any acts booked in prominent slots that were big in the 90s.

6 minutes ago, VCK said:

Because none of those acts are relevant in any way. 

R&L are great at booking zeitgeist acts. Whether you are a fan of them or not is a different matter. 

33 minutes ago, VCK said:

Because no one at R&L would watch those acts. Same as they don't book any classic rock/indie acts anymore.

Reading Friday, Leeds Saturday: 1975 (top) + Paramore (bottom) // Pixies // Boy Better Know // Nothing But Thieves // Limp Bizkit

Reading Saturday, Leeds Sunday: Kids See Ghosts // Royal Blood // The Streets // George Ezra // Brockhampton

Reading Sunday, Leeds Friday: Foo Fighters // Twenty-one Pilots // Jamie T // Chance the Rapper //Dave

Announce that Nov 30th and you will sell out for Christmas! (exaggeration for those that take everything at face value).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Albums upcoming over the next 4 months tend to be a sign that they will be on the festival circuit in summer. The ones that jump out to me as R&L targets ...

Mumford & Sons, Smashing Pumpkins,

Jaden Smith (paired with now they are a couple) Tyler the Creator,

Kanye West,

Rita Ora,

BMTH,

Rat Boy,

Busta Rhymes,

Die Antword,

Ice Cube,

Kaiser Chiefs,

LSD,

Major Lazer,

Marina & Diamonds,

Pearl Jam,

My morning Jacket,

Slipknot,

Offspring,

Weeknd,

Travis Barker,

Weezer,

Vampire Weekend,

Lana Del Rey

Slipknot are headlining Download, 0% chance.

Die Antwoord, again, probably not if they're at Download in a seemingly prominent spot.

Smashing Pumpkins aren't turning up either.

My Morning Jacket stands out as a bizarre choice, they haven't played since 2003, why would they come back now?

I can see Weezer headlining a smaller festival rather than doing Reading. Something like 2000trees.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jericode said:

Slipknot are headlining Download, 0% chance.

Die Antwoord, again, probably not if they're at Download in a seemingly prominent spot.

Smashing Pumpkins aren't turning up either.

My Morning Jacket stands out as a bizarre choice, they haven't played since 2003, why would they come back now?

I can see Weezer headlining a smaller festival rather than doing Reading. Something like 2000trees.

Weezer at APE seems feasible.

Pumpkins may sub Tool at download looking at the DL forum.

Edited by R Shah

Just now, Bandit Tom said:

Seems likely we'll get all three headliners like Download did last month? That'd be my guess, seemed to go down better.

Nah it’ll probably just be 1 headliner (most likely Foos) and around 10 other acts.

22 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

R&L hardly book any acts from any genre from the 90s anymore though - the lineup appeals to a much younger audience than Glastonbury. Skimming over last years lineup I can't see any acts booked in prominent slots that were big in the 90s.

Red Hot Chili Peppers would count and I guess if Foos play next year it would be their rise. Someone should make like a stats thing which shows the year every artist's biggest album came out. Probably averages to around 2010 maybe for main and R1? (excluding smaller stages)

1 minute ago, Bandit Tom said:

Seems likely we'll get all three headliners like Download did last month? That'd be my guess, seemed to go down better.

Doubt it. Download normally announce their headliners either together or in a short space of time. R&L never do when they announce this early. Download is over two months earlier, remember. Plus The 1975 and Twenty One Pilots still have tour tickets to sell. I think it'll be Foos and like 7 or so undercard acts.

8 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Doubt it. Download normally announce their headliners either together or in a short space of time. R&L never do when they announce this early. Download is over two months earlier, remember. Plus The 1975 and Twenty One Pilots still have tour tickets to sell. I think it'll be Foos and like 7 or so undercard acts.

Both of their tours are near enough sold out though, I wouldn't put it past them changing it up a bit. 

1 minute ago, Bandit Tom said:

Unrelated to the announcement but is anyone else extremely surprised at how the Panic! tour is completely and utterly sold out on every date?

Honestly, no. When you look at their streams on Spotify they have 17 million monthly listeners (96th in the world). That’s more than Foos with 9 million, Arctics with 10 million etc. I think they’re a lot more popular than people on this forum realise. What u gotta remember is they’re mainstream played by mainstream radios that aren’t just Radio X or Kerrang! - that shit helps I guess.