2019 festival

13 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Weirdly condescending post from someone describing Foo Fighters, Green Day and RHCP as great bands.

Edit: Ironically, when I was 16 I thought Foos and RHCP were great bands. Now I'm older I've realised they're naff as hell and all my friends have grown out of them, too.

Green day was a great band when i was 15 and they brought out American Idiot album and those classic songs like september ends, american idiot etc shaped a lot of my childhood. Foos i've never enjoyed, one song The Pretender is an anthem but I can not name any others off the top of my head without thinking about it. RHCP as well was quality when I was 15, but now to me it is always a band thats enjoyed by somebodies upper class Tory uncle that live in Hampshire, unironically drive a land rover jeep and always wear northface gear, whilst proclaiming they enjoy rock music and music now is drivel. 

Nothing condescending about what i put, those bands were the "classic" wow can't wait to see them they shaped my childhood bands. Now if they brought in Oasis, Stone Roses etc but that just isn't the scene of R&L anymore.

This forum really does seem strangely incel-lite "my music taste is better i have such a refined taste in bands, i'm so much better than all of you". I think people need to accept that we are older, past the demographic of what R&L put out on the main stage. We are the target audience for the smaller tents, Main stage is just the Radio 1 tent for acts to big for that Radio 1 tent. In 10 years the headliners will be Marshmello, RAYE/Mabel & Not3s and Jax Jones/Catfish and the Bottlemen.

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Green day was a great band when i was 15 and they brought out American Idiot album and those classic songs like september ends, american idiot etc shaped a lot of my childhood. Foos i've never enjoyed, one song The Pretender is an anthem but I can not name any others off the top of my head without thinking about it. RHCP as well was quality when I was 15, but now to me it is always a band thats enjoyed by somebodies upper class Tory uncle that live in Hampshire, unironically drive a land rover jeep and always wear northface gear, whilst proclaiming they enjoy rock music and music now is drivel. 

Nothing condescending about what i put, those bands were the "classic" wow can't wait to see them they shaped my childhood bands. Now if they brought in Oasis, Stone Roses etc but that just isn't the scene of R&L anymore.

This forum really does seem strangely incel-lite "my music taste is better i have such a refined taste in bands, i'm so much better than all of you". I think people need to accept that we are older, past the demographic of what R&L put out on the main stage. We are the target audience for the smaller tents, Main stage is just the Radio 1 tent for acts to big for that Radio 1 tent. In 10 years the headliners will be Marshmello, RAYE/Mabel & Not3s and Jax Jones/Catfish and the Bottlemen.

The condescending part was how you seem to be labelling young people now as having no attention span and listening to 30 seconds of a song then skipping onto the next one.

I'm doing the complete opposite of trying to delegitimise acts like the ones you listed at the bottom of your post just now. You're the one that was going on about how little of the current R&L audience listen to good music, and how we're in the minority for wanting it. I just found that ironic seeing as the bands you mentioned are crap.

I agree that people like Post Malone are the future of R&L; my point was that Post Malone is a naff hip-hop act whilst the bands you listed are naff rock acts. What's the difference, other than one set of them appeal to your music tastes whilst Post Malone doesn't? I've accepted that R&L is no longer the place for me because the music it books doesn't align with my tastes, but I don't agree with how people on here often say it's turned to shit - they're just booking what their audience listen to, and that's fine.

Having said that, though, I don't think they'll stop booking bands like Foo Fighters just yet. They'll sell a lot of day tickets and they're one of those bands where everyone knows at least a few songs. They're a perfect choice for R&L.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

There definitely seems to be a thing about certain bands being hated on here which is quite strange to say the least, but I've never seen someone actually targeted for liking them. Everyone has a different taste in music and while I'm probably right in the middle of R&L's target audience, my music taste probably doesn't reflect that so I can relate to a lot of people on here who feel that R&L has moved away from what they want.

Foos pretty much instantly sell out whatever dates they do, and I know that the majority of people my age would love to see them, even if they're not their favourite band. Same with people like RHCP, Green Day, Muse etc.

• Upvote 1

I think you're taking this all to heart a little too much, mate. 

R&L will never stop booking bands like Muse, RHCP and Foos for the reasons said; they are massive bands who most people will have liked at some point growing up (nostalgia sells) and they're all bands that will always shift a massive amount of day tickets. 

Edited by Andre91
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

If Foos are in Europe the week after Download reckon they're nailed on for that. Also reckon they'll play TRNSMT (and so will Muse) as they fit the demographic perfectly, although maybe because TRNSMT is just 3 days instead of 5 this year they'll book just one of them. If Arctics are doing Glasto, who would we say the 'big rock band for the Sunday night' would be?

I'm thinking it'll come out of Green Day or The Killers (depending on activity) because although artists like Radiohead/QOTSA/Pearl Jam would be awesome, if they can't get Foos or Arctics they need an act who people attending (generally 16-20 year olds) will know a few songs e.g. although kings of Leon are shite literally everyone knows Use Somebody and Sex on Fire; just like everyone knows American Idiot/Boulevard/Mr Brightside as opposed to songs like Creep and No One Knows.

Edited by R Shah

6 minutes ago, R Shah said:

If Foos are in Europe the week after Download reckon they're nailed on for that. Also reckon they'll play TRNSMT (and so will Muse) as they fit the demographic perfectly, although maybe because TRNSMT is just 3 days instead of 5 this year they'll book just one of them. If Arctics are doing Glasto, who would we say the 'big rock band for the Sunday night' would be?

I'm thinking it'll come out of Green Day or The Killers (depending on activity) because although artists like Radiohead/QOTSA/Pearl Jam would be awesome, if they can't get Foos or Arctics they need an act who people attending (generally 16-20 year olds) will know a few songs e.g. although kings of Leon are shite literally everyone knows Use Somebody and Sex on Fire; just like everyone knows American Idiot/Boulevard/Mr Brightside as opposed to songs like Creep and No One Knows.

FF aren't doing Download....I'd doubt it

Who could be there next year.

For the rock fans

Foo fighters

Two door cinema club

Foals

Stereophonics

Thirty seconds to Mars

The killers

Bring me the horizon

Artic monkeys

For the pop fans

Craig David

Shawn mendas

Years and years

Clean bandit

Katy Perry

Bastille

Take that

Churches

Disclosure

For the hip hop fans

Jay z 

Sean Paul

Post malone 

Drake

For the secret set

Mumford and sons

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, jj200 said:

Who could be there next year.

For the rock fans

Foo fighters

Two door cinema club

Foals

Stereophonics

Thirty seconds to Mars

The killers

Bring me the horizon

Artic monkeys

For the pop fans

Craig David

Shawn mendas

Years and years

Clean bandit

Katy Perry

Bastille

Take that

Churches

Disclosure

For the hip hop fans

Jay z 

Sean Paul

Post malone 

Drake

For the secret set

Mumford and sons

For the absolute madman

top gear live, university callange , the prime minister

• Upvote 2

On 12 October 2018 at 1:30 PM, Chad888 said:

Yeah sure, but you always get the odd ones in groups that enjoy their music and go to festivals to broaden there music horizons and actually enjoy the spectacle of the show. But just have a look round the festival would you! The majority of that demographic there are there to get underage drunk and be all like "woooooo were at a festival i saw the courteeners woooooo now im gonna try and pull some 15 year old girl in some stupidly short hot shorts and uv paint all over their face downing a bottle of vodka straight and sharing a key between 10. of us because were so cool".

10 years ago Reading was quality, now its gangs of intoxicated kids setting fire to tents because theyre just idiots.

Rose tinted specs. Keep in mind that they had to move Leeds to Bramham Park in the early 2000s because there were riots every single years.

1 hour ago, Mattymooz said:

Twenty One Pilots setlist seems a bit sparse from the Brixton gig they did a couple weeks ago (only 13 songs), do they definitely play long enough setlists to headline outright? Or will they have to coheadline due to a shorter show like Kendrick did?

Just looking at previous shows Brixton looks like a one-off as they'd been playing 20+ songs last year. Plus with Brixton they only debuted the four singles from Trench that had been released. I'd imagine with plenty from Trench, Blurryface and a few from Vessel they will have enough for a full set.

Edited by frontsidecab

23 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They’ve been headlining US festivals for a couple of years. Course they have enough.

I know they have enough songs to play, just didn't know if for whatever reason they didn't wanna play for a long time (like Kendrick). Had assumed that Brixton would be representative of their shows but apparently not lol. Don't follow them or US festivals that closely to know what slots they have played elsewhere either

47 minutes ago, Radi0Head said:

I Remember reading somewhere that he pulled the biggest crowd at R this year. To be honest I’m amazed he wasn’t way higher up the bill or even a headliner

I saw an interview with a R+L booker where he mentioned specifically that Post Malone was booked before he really blew up.

I think that by the time he was announced, he probably could have been sub/third; by the time of the festival he could have headlined.