2019 festival

Fuck Drugs, Avicii earlier in the year and now this :(

5 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

I know, it's mental :( Driving me mad all the tabloids " Ariana Grande's EX dead" like he didn't have his own career or isn't his own person.

I hope she isn't on twitter or instagram rn, i've seen a lot if people blaming her for it and stuff. She must be heartbroken more than anyone at this point... (tho agreed the tabloid headlines arent helping)

11 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

I know, it's mental :( Driving me mad all the tabloids " Ariana Grande's EX dead" like he didn't have his own career or isn't his own person.

Let's face it, if they want clicks from the general British public then that'd be the way. Fuck that though. This really is heartbreaking considering he looked as if he was bouncing back from some dark times and shit was looking up. Back on form with his music too. God damn.

33 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Fucking Mac Miller dead wtfff :(

One of my first efestivals memories was discussing one of his albums with you when he popped up on a lineup somewhere a few years back. What an absolutely unspeakable tragedy. Pity poor Ariana too though, especially while she’s still processing what happened last year. Somebody please hold her tight tonight.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

i remember when he dropped that mixtape 'faces' in 2014 and it was all about his own intense drug abuse and shit and it was properly haunting, always thought it was incredible how he pulled himself back from that. i always had a soft spot for every new project he put out. life can be so horrible man.

i see people on twitter blaming ariana as well, and i truly cannot comprehend how people can be so braindead that they actually think that.

Can't believe standing is left at nearly every BMTH gig apart of Leeds, I didn't expect The Prodigy to be edging them. I don't see how they'll be given anything above co-headliner now and I almost don't know who to put with them as I can't see TOP not doing It outright if 1975 do. I'd like to see The Prodigy get given it with them and it's the only option to put in that form that are a bigger name really.

17 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Can't believe standing is left at nearly every BMTH gig apart of Leeds, I didn't expect The Prodigy to be edging them. I don't see how they'll be given anything above co-headliner now and I almost don't know who to put with them as I can't see TOP not doing It outright if 1975 do. I'd like to see The Prodigy get given it with them and it's the only option to put in that form that are a bigger name really.

Doubt Twenty One Pilots will headline outright so BMTH + them seems like a pretty good shout to me, with The 1975 doing it outright and then one of Arctics or Green Day (or somebody I’m forgetting) for your big headliner.

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Doubt Twenty One Pilots will headline outright so BMTH + them seems like a pretty good shout to me, with The 1975 doing it outright and then one of Arctics or Green Day (or somebody I’m forgetting) for your big headliner.

Oh I thought TOP would but if it's reckoned not then yes put them together. 

3 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I agree here, I don't think R&L in recent years has particularly been their scene, honestly they just don't suit the festival at all. Like QOTSA last year not returning this year, I don't think they will be returning in 2019.

George Ezra should have a main stage slot. Perfect sub for The 1975, sold out every date of his arena tour. Chance of disclosure this year? New singles and club run, suggest they may be somewhere.

Really don’t think Green Day will appear, they’re overdue a headline at IOW + TRNSMT. Arctic Monkeys should play R/L, and then Glasto 50th anniversary 2020 headline as their only gig of the year after finishing TBH+C tour. 

5 minutes ago, manchestermusicreview said:

George Ezra should have a main stage slot. Perfect sub for The 1975, sold out every date of his arena tour. Chance of disclosure this year? New singles and club run, suggest they may be somewhere.

Really don’t think Green Day will appear, they’re overdue a headline at IOW + TRNSMT. Arctic Monkeys should play R/L, and then Glasto 50th anniversary 2020 headline as their only gig of the year after finishing TBH+C tour. 

George Ezra subbing Rize under someone like Mumford and Sons seems more likely, but him playing R&L wouldn't shock me now tbh.

Think it's quite possible that Arctic Monkeys will have no plans to be playing live by Summer 2020. If they finish this tour next Summer and are either writing a new album or Alex is back with TLSP by 2020 (or even taking a break because it must be a while since he's had one) I can't see them doing a one off Glasto show. I reckon it's more likely that it's one or the other next year and the other with have to wait until their next album. And if that's the case, I think they'll pick Glasto if they're approached.

Just on my way home from seeing twenty one pilots at Brixton academy. The stage setup/production was better than some of the headliners at Reading this year. 

It was a great show, and can see them easily selling tickets for reading. Only issue is they’ve added a third date at SSE wembley

Edited by Stuielooie

21P is a sure thing for me and so is 1975, two acts that will be relatively cheap, have mainstream 15-19 appeal and will be on the tour with new music. Chance the rapper is up there for me with his Kendrick crowd appeal and will likely be 3rd/4th down Sunday. Bastille have a new album coming out in Q1 next year so will likely be on a tour of that. Them and 1975 are very similar though, and they seem to mix up headlines when co-ing because they need to appeal to different crowds and sell more weekend tickets instead of having each day heavy on one specific genre (Travis/FOB, PATD/Kendrick).

21P don't have much material for a memorable headline set, they have only been around for like 3 years now so can see them being the 2nd name on a co-headline if they do headline at all. They would have to stack that day if they want to sell tickets for them headlining. 

I can imagine it would be something like...

Bastille or 1975 / 21 Pilots co headline, A$AP Rocky sub

Big Name like Eminem and Kendrick (Green Day, Florence, Arctic Monkeys, Kanye, Drake, Killers) with the opposite genre subbing and Chance 4th down

Well known Band that sells tickets because of the name but they aren't really headline relevant now like Muse and KoL were and will be pretty cheap (Royal Blood, Catfish etc) with a well stacked day leading up to it.

35 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

21P is a sure thing for me and so is 1975, two acts that will be relatively cheap, have mainstream 15-19 appeal and will be on the tour with new music. Chance the rapper is up there for me with his Kendrick crowd appeal and will likely be 3rd/4th down Sunday. Bastille have a new album coming out in Q1 next year so will likely be on a tour of that. Them and 1975 are very similar though, and they seem to mix up headlines when co-ing because they need to appeal to different crowds and sell more weekend tickets instead of having each day heavy on one specific genre (Travis/FOB, PATD/Kendrick).

21P don't have much material for a memorable headline set, they have only been around for like 3 years now so can see them being the 2nd name on a co-headline if they do headline at all. They would have to stack that day if they want to sell tickets for them headlining. 

I can imagine it would be something like...

Bastille or 1975 / 21 Pilots co headline, A$AP Rocky sub

Big Name like Eminem and Kendrick (Green Day, Florence, Arctic Monkeys, Kanye, Drake, Killers) with the opposite genre subbing and Chance 4th down

Well known Band that sells tickets because of the name but they aren't really headline relevant now like Muse and KoL were and will be pretty cheap (Royal Blood, Catfish etc) with a well stacked day leading up to it.

Wtf.

Chance the Rapper would probably sub.

Bastille have peaked and will never headline R&L.

Travis Scott didn't co-headline this year, he subbed. And the previous co-headlines were Biffy/FOB, Foals/Disclosure, QOTSA/Paramore and The Strokes/Pulp, all pairs that appeal to similar fanbases.

Twenty One Pilots released their debut album 9 years ago. They wouldn't need a stacked day, though I agree they'll probably co-headline.

How is Florence a big name like those acts? She'd probably sell less tickets than The 1975 and Twenty One Pilots.

How are Royal Blood and Catfish anything like Muse and KoL? Neither of them have ever headlined a major festival whilst Muse and KoL are two of the biggest bands of the past decade (in Muse's case, decade and a half). Royal Blood could probably headline but won't be touring next Summer, and I highly doubt Catfish will ever headline R&L.

3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Wtf.

Chance the Rapper would probably sub.

Bastille have peaked and will never headline R&L.

Travis Scott didn't co-headline this year, he subbed. And the previous co-headlines were Biffy/FOB, Foals/Disclosure, QOTSA/Paramore and The Strokes/Pulp, all pairs that appeal to similar fanbases.

Twenty One Pilots released their debut album 9 years ago. They wouldn't need a stacked day, though I agree they'll probably co-headline.

How is Florence a big name like those acts? She'd probably sell less tickets than The 1975 and Twenty One Pilots.

How are Royal Blood and Catfish anything like Muse and KoL? Neither of them have ever headlined a major festival whilst Muse and KoL are two of the biggest bands of the past decade (in Muse's case, decade and a half). Royal Blood could probably headline but won't be touring next Summer, and I highly doubt Catfish will ever headline R&L.

I cant see chance subbing, he isnt as big a name as people like Travis and Post Malone that were drawing huge crowds, he is more like Kendrick Lamar 15 years ago. I can't see him being a pull enough for subbing but you can make an argument for 3rd down if on a day with a huge main act. In 5 years Chance will be up there but his singles have never really peaked in any chart.

The co headliners do appeal to a "similar fanbase" but they are different breeds of the same genre, i.e they are all stadium rock vs pop rock in Biffy/FOB and QOTSA/Paramore. 

21p were around that time ago, but they didn't get noticed until Stressed Out was released.

Florence is a big name in the sense that everybody makes a huge deal about them when they release new music, like those last 2 single drops played none stop on the radio. BMTH, Royal Blood etc don't have that, the radio people will just say "new music from xx" and thats the last you hear, but Florence will be discussed a lot.  The same way that Paramore are.

FR now seem to book for RaL the headliners, sub and 3rd/4th down by the following checklist:

- Relevant, bringing an album out and doing a tour

- Making moves in the charts, consistently having singles in the top 10

- Consistent Radio 1 airplay (face it, the festival now is just Radio 1's big weekend for the over 16s)

- A crowd pleaser cheap headline that will draw in all the fans of radio 1 style rock i.e. BMTH, 21P, 1975, Bastille

- A headline name universally known/enjoyed that will bring in the fans that can't make it to Glastonbury i.e. Killers, Arctic Monkeys, Drake, Kanye, Jay Z 

- A last minute stadium rock band to headline that is a safe bet and has been around for a while but remains cheap, if the middle headline is huge then this is someone who could sub but they will try and save some money by bumping them up to headliner i.e. Catfish or Royal Blood (past 2 years with the very weak headlines they could get Muse and KoL to do this who are as you say much bigger).

• Downvote 2