2019 festival

20 minutes ago, R Shah said:

If Arctics are doing glasto/r+l can't get them, I reckon we could get another kings of leon type booking for the sunday.

By that, I mean a band who has finished their world tour by the end of 2018 (2017 in KOL's case), after playing many UK dates, to be brought back on like an worldwide exclusive R+L/Summer sessions kinda thing. Think KOL played 3 US dates too but the only 3 European shows were the 3 they just did.

So I'm thinking the Killers or QOTSA as a more likely option, or possibly Foo Fighters or Radiohead if they wanna go a bit more expensive. Although acts like radiohead and pearl jam I doubt will be booked again at r+l.

But if they at big weekend for radio 1 and not at Glastonbury they reading and Leeds can get them. 

4 hours ago, R Shah said:

If Arctics are doing glasto/r+l can't get them, I reckon we could get another kings of leon type booking for the sunday.

By that, I mean a band who has finished their world tour by the end of 2018 (2017 in KOL's case), after playing many UK dates, to be brought back on like an worldwide exclusive R+L/Summer sessions kinda thing. Think KOL played 3 US dates too but the only 3 European shows were the 3 they just did.

So I'm thinking the Killers or QOTSA as a more likely option, or possibly Foo Fighters or Radiohead if they wanna go a bit more expensive. Although acts like radiohead and pearl jam I doubt will be booked again at r+l.

The Killers would be a great choice tbh. I wonder if they could pull of The Killers, Drake, BMTH+TOP co-headlining and have The 1975 subbing?, it would be big but I think the lowest 1975 take is co-headline to sub Glastobury too.

15 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

The Killers would be a great choice tbh. I wonder if they could pull of The Killers, Drake, BMTH+TOP co-headlining and have The 1975 subbing?, it would be big but I think the lowest 1975 take is co-headline to sub Glastobury too.

I'm still really not convinced on BMTH, if they bumped up 1975 to coheadline it would go down really well I think. BMTH just don't really fit in with modern R+L - but watch them come back next year anyway.

46 minutes ago, gfa said:

I'm still really not convinced on BMTH, if they bumped up 1975 to coheadline it would go down really well I think. BMTH just don't really fit in with modern R+L - but watch them come back next year anyway.

I disagree, it hasn't suddenly became a pop festival. Take Kendrick...big crowd...Dua Lipa...huge crowd....NERD not a great crowd. 

I think The 1975 have to be bumped up to co-headline...but only that if Glasto don't have them sub, they should headline outright if it's a UK Exclusive say. BMTH aren't going sub again but they will likely play the highest they'll get this year and I reckon Oli will take co-headline whereas before I didn't. TOP will sell more tickets and it's a banker for the fest and the one I think will outright do it...they sold their tour easy and the Panic! crowd love them.

I really think BMTH will be back to headline, or more likely co-headline as they do a shorter set. But I do think they will, it's 100% the perfect time. Stll got a solid fanbase that go to the festival and even people who don't actively listen to them will know songs like Throne, Drown maybe Happy Song and even Mantra by next fest. Think they'd smash a headline performance tbh.

30 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

I really think BMTH will be back to headline, or more likely co-headline as they do a shorter set. But I do think they will, it's 100% the perfect time. Stll got a solid fanbase that go to the festival and even people who don't actively listen to them will know songs like Throne, Drown maybe Happy Song and even Mantra by next fest. Think they'd smash a headline performance tbh.

yeah, the download time has gone I think but Reading can still happen

Really love the new Spring King album, think they could be the act that goes from playing the FR one year then returning to headline it. Either that or early main could suit them.

EDIT: I do expect this album to garner some more attention in them, hence the FR headline. If they stay as they are popularity wise then they won't play.

Edited by TheWaters

4 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

Really love the new Spring King album, think they could be the act that goes from playing the FR one year then returning to headline it. Either that or early main could suit them.

EDIT: I do expect this album to garner some more attention in them, hence the FR headline. If they stay as they are popularity wise then they won't play.

I thought it was quite a poor effort personally, which is a shame as I thought the debut was kinda under appreciated. I would still be happy to see it but I don’t think they’ll get much bigger.

Anyway I think the circumstances are quite different. Both Hunna and Grennan played early/mid-card and then headlined once their album was out; Spring King played early FR years ago and 9pm on that stage this year, relatively established and on the eve of their second album.

Just now, dentalplan said:

I thought it was quite a poor effort personally, which is a shame as I thought the debut was kinda under appreciated. I would still be happy to see it but I don’t think they’ll get much bigger.

Anyway I think the circumstances are quite different. Both Hunna and Grennan played early/mid-card and then headlined once their album was out; Spring King played early FR years ago and 9pm on that stage this year, relatively established and on the eve of their second album.

I really liked the first one but after a few listens through I think I do prefer this onw, although admittedly it's been a while since I had a full listen through of the debut. Maybe I should to compare. I do still think they may get a slight bit more attention now but fair enough, probably won't be back next year.

I though about that but Grennan subbed then came back to play the same day, same stage just an hour later so I thought it may have been possible. I've realised now that it is quite different though as Grennan was still months off his album while Spring King were just about to release + half of their recent setlists have been from the new album so It wouldn't add much else to bump them up. 

2 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

I really liked the first one but after a few listens through I think I do prefer this onw, although admittedly it's been a while since I had a full listen through of the debut. Maybe I should to compare. I do still think they may get a slight bit more attention now but fair enough, probably won't be back next year.

I though about that but Grennan subbed then came back to play the same day, same stage just an hour later so I thought it may have been possible. I've realised now that it is quite different though as Grennan was still months off his album while Spring King were just about to release + half of their recent setlists have been from the new album so It wouldn't add much else to bump them up. 

Oh I misremembered and thought Grennan was about 1pm rather than the exact same slot Spring King was doing. My bad. 

BMTH, 21P and 1975 I'm settling for, two of those probably co-headlining.

then for the remaining slot, someone for the "Reading ain't what it used to be, where's the guitars" kind of demographic, like Biffy, QOTSA or Foals? (nothing against any of those).

Or fuck knows maybe Arctics if Glasto doesn't get them. Florence and the Machine?

Edited by UndergroundSound

2 minutes ago, Lukie74 said:

Strongly think that as soon as his ban is unlifted Tyler, the Creator will play R&L but any reasoning for why it'd be uplifted next year? Cant see it being top of Home Office's todos and can imagine it panning out the full 5 years

Did @UndergroundSound's profile picture remind you of this lmao.

2 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

But yeah I agree, not sure when his ban is up (I feel like its 2019/2020?) but as soon as it's up I'd expect him to be booked. 3rd down or R1 headline for sure.

He was banned right before R&L '15. So hypothetically if the ban is 5 years he could play 2020 but guess that depends on the pedantics of booking him