2019 festival

15 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Liam Gallagher isn’t in the same boat as Stereophonics, Manics etc. Oasis are a phenomenon in this country that every generation after them seems to be into at some point. He will always attract big crowds because of that legacy. 

Thats like saying ‘Wow did you see the size of the crowd Jonathan Davis pulled at Download? Fear Factory or DevilDriver should totally headline!’ 

Liam isn't in the same boat as the Stereophonics?  They both headlined Rize.  I'm confused.

So how did Fall Out Boy becomes headliners?  I don't know enough about them to say if they are good or not but if they'd had as many hits as the Stereophonics, Manics and Pearl Jam, surely I would.

Just now, Boba73 said:

Liam isn't in the same boat as the Stereophonics?  They both headlined Rize.  I'm confused.

So how did Fall Out Boy becomes headliners?  I don't know enough about them to say if they are good or not but if they'd had as many hits as the Stereophonics, Manics and Pearl Jam, surely I would.

Headlining the same festival as someone doesn't make you the same kind of acts. Are Fall Out Boy and Kendrick Lamar the same?

No one really knows why FOB headlined. It was either a shocking decision or they were a back up plan (a guy on here who told us the headliners in advance and has been correct in the past told us FR were after other acts including Arctic Monkeys so presumably the latter).

But anyway, Fall Out Boy are an act that appeals to people who go to R&L. Stereophonics, Manics and Pearl Jam aren't.

6 minutes ago, Boba73 said:

What are the Manics ‘hits’ then that everyone going to R&L should be familiar with? Don’t mistake this as me bashing the Manics because I think Holy Bible is a wicked album but they aren’t relevant to Reading and Leeds anymore. 

R&L has survived so long because it changes with the times. 

3 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

What are the Manics ‘hits’ then that everyone going to R&L should be familiar with? Don’t mistake this as me bashing the Manics because I think Holy Bible is a wicked album but they aren’t relevant to Reading and Leeds anymore. 

R&L has survived so long because it changes with the times. 

I'm not going to list them.  They've got loads but if you don't know then, yes, you're right.  They aren't for Reading anymore. 

When I was in my teens I knew a lot of the old stuff as well as the new.  I admit to not knowing Kendrick, Post Malone and the like because deep down I'm an indie kid and none of them are played on xfm.

Friday: BMTH+Catfish coheadline/Stormzy/The Hunna

Saturday: The 1975/Childish Gambino/TDCC/Don Broco

Sunday: QOTSA or The Killers or Foo Fighters (worldwide exclusive)/Twenty One Pilots/Run The Jewels/Architects

Foals + Florence to do Latitude

Royal Blood Community

Muse headline show in Finsbury Park like QOTSA did this year

AM to do Glasto

Edited by R Shah

Panic at the disco / post malone’s crowd this year would have dwarfed whatever crowd the Manics or Stereophonics would have brought, that’s why the festival is going on the way it is, Panic got brutalised on here for “co” headlining, but they were one of the few acts to actually get people out of the campsite. 

And it’s also why I can’t see past The 1975 / BMTH / ToP for next year, all acts that have radio appeal, and feverish fanbases on Twitter and such.

4 minutes ago, Jackson Maniac said:

Panic at the disco / post malone’s crowd this year would have dwarfed whatever crowd the Manics or Stereophonics would have brought, that’s why the festival is going on the way it is, Panic got brutalised on here for “co” headlining, but they were one of the few acts to actually get people out of the campsite. 

And it’s also why I can’t see past The 1975 / BMTH / ToP for next year, all acts that have radio appeal, and feverish fanbases on Twitter and such.

Yeah they'd be mad not to get The 1975 and Twenty One Pilots next year. Only thing I can see stopping them is if Glasto get The 1975 as headliners (but I do think they'll headline R&L instead).

BMTH I think will headline but I don't think they'd be silly not to book them, especially if it's to have them headline Download instead. Again, though, I think they'll do R&L.

12 minutes ago, Jackson Maniac said:

I totally get what you're saying but I did say I could/would like to see them in the tent.  Not main stage.  I know they're not big enough for that.

2 minutes ago, Boba73 said:

I totally get what you're saying but I did say I could/would like to see them in the tent.  Not main stage.  I know they're not big enough for that.

The problem is they're too big in general for the slots it'd be worth giving them at R&L. As shown by TRNSMT and Rize, Stereophonics can still play big slots at festivals (think they also co-headlined IOW the other year), but at R&L it'd only be worth giving them a smaller slot than that, at which point it becomes pointless because Stereophonics will be demanding the fees that headliners/subs demand.

2 minutes ago, Boba73 said:

Oh I know, it’s just a weird situation where these bands are still racking up number one albums (well Stereophonics at least) and should headline quite easily, and do at other festivals, but those festivals don’t seem to have people who just don’t leave the campsite all weekend.

4 hours ago, Andre91 said:

The Kooks, The Womats, Courteeners and The Vaccines all got big crowds on the main stage. Indie kids very much still go to the festival. 

I was being a little pedantic. In fairness though Wombats, Kooks and Vaccines make much poppier music than thwy originally did now don't they.