2019 festival

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

BMTH are doing like FOB, no I know a lot who like each and barely like them both. 

what i'm trying to say is that in 2019 they will pull an embarrassing crowd, and with their own UK tour it would just be a joke. I think they need to focus on getting new, "in" headliners and for returning ones focus on acts like Kasabian, Arctic Monkeys, Killers etc as they have the mainstream appeal/'my friends who like better music than i do dragged me along and it wasn't half bad' appeal.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

What are people listening to if their friends with better tastes like Kasabian?

Juice Wrld?

that was more of a mainstream appeal one, although its not nearly as good of an example as killers and AM

38 minutes ago, gfa said:

what i'm trying to say is that in 2019 they will pull an embarrassing crowd, and with their own UK tour it would just be a joke. I think they need to focus on getting new, "in" headliners and for returning ones focus on acts like Kasabian, Arctic Monkeys, Killers etc as they have the mainstream appeal/'my friends who like better music than i do dragged me along and it wasn't half bad' appeal.

Kasabian played last year.

If BMTH would say yes to a co-headline they should book that but I don't think they will and will be booked outright themselves.

12 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Why would Pendulum return the year after to play a slot that has no elevation but on a different stage in the daylight?

Safe booking, can't imagine they'd be particularly expensive either. A 'big' band that appeals to a large variety of people, a band that the dance fans and rock fans can enjoy. Also relevant for the 21-40 age group. 

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Kasabian played last year.

If BMTH would say yes to a co-headline they should book that but I don't think they will and will be booked outright themselves.

aware, I guess the key word was 'like' those acts listed.

2 hours ago, jonnyisRFC said:

Safe booking, can't imagine they'd be particularly expensive either. A 'big' band that appeals to a large variety of people, a band that the dance fans and rock fans can enjoy. Also relevant for the 21-40 age group. 

I wasn't against them playing but not in a daylight slot. They would have been booked as radio 1 headliner to stop them playing to a light crowd...it would be a let down. I'd like to see them sub but they would be on the back of a 3rd year then which is why I think Glastonbury is ideal for them next year. I'd put them subbing someone like The Streets.

I feel like if FRs aim is to appeal to more of a mass audience they would be stupid not to book 1975 as a headliner, especially if they want to appeal to younger crowds. Most young people like the 1975 and would probably know almost all the songs they would play in their setlist 

tame impala are a shout, right? loads of people here talk about them as not fitting for the demographic but for the indie kids they definitely are.

also yeah not booking the 1975 would be a bit silly, they've got an absolutely massive year ahead and it genuinely feels like the perfect headliner for the festival.

41 minutes ago, pepesilvia said:

tame impala are a shout, right? loads of people here talk about them as not fitting for the demographic but for the indie kids they definitely are.

also yeah not booking the 1975 would be a bit silly, they've got an absolutely massive year ahead and it genuinely feels like the perfect headliner for the festival.

Indie kids don't go now, pop kids go lol. Indie band stopped making that music a while ago.

6 hours ago, VCK said:

Royal Blood (Reading)
Bring Me The Horizon (Leeds)
A Day To Remember
Twin Atlantic

The 1975
Childish Gambino
Blossoms
Portugal. The Man

Kanye West
Twenty One Pilots
Wolf Alice
Glass Animals

Top day is way, way too heavy to make any commercial sense. It's something we discussed with our camping neighbours the other night but they seem to actively avoid having one heavy day, one RnB day and one indie day, which would make a lot of sense if they were trying to shift day tickets like BST or TRNSMT do, but not so much at a camping festival where the main focus is weekend tickets.

In this year's terms, it's why they didn't have Travis Scott subbing Kendrick and PATD subbing FOB, when these pairings would have made more sense from a day tickets point of view. They could have marketed the Friday as the heavier day, Saturday as RnB day and Sunday as indie day (The latter probably was the case to an extent but you'd have to move both The Kooks and The Wombats to Sunday) if they were chasing day ticket sales but that's not really the case with R&L.

8 minutes ago, danz026 said:

Top day is way, way too heavy to make any commercial sense. It's something we discussed with our camping neighbours the other night but they seem to actively avoid having one heavy day, one RnB day and one indie day, which would make a lot of sense if they were trying to shift day tickets like BST or TRNSMT do, but not so much at a camping festival where the main focus is weekend tickets.

In this year's terms, it's why they didn't have Travis Scott subbing Kendrick and PATD subbing FOB, when these pairings would have made more sense from a day tickets point of view. They could have marketed the Friday as the heavier day, Saturday as RnB day and Sunday as indie day (The latter probably was the case to an extent but you'd have to move both The Kooks and The Wombats to Sunday) if they were chasing day ticket sales but that's not really the case with R&L.

I know in recent years they've tended to mix the days up a little, but usually when there's a heavier headliner there's a heavier undercard, such as the Metallica day in 2015, or both the Paramore/QOTSA and Blink 182 days in 2014.

Was thinking of having Frank Turner 3rd down on that day and Brockhampton 4th though. 

15 minutes ago, VCK said:

I know in recent years they've tended to mix the days up a little, but usually when there's a heavier headliner there's a heavier undercard, such as the Metallica day in 2015, or both the Paramore/QOTSA and Blink 182 days in 2014.

Was thinking of having Frank Turner 3rd down on that day and Brockhampton 4th though. 

Turner third down is a pretty solid bet for me actually come to think of it, he seems to be able to sell out decently sized arenas which is probably the going rate for a third down act. Perhaps radio 1 headliner may suit him a bit better though given his fan base is a bit of a cult following, could be a good alternative to whichever RnB artist is chosen as the RnB headline next year.

Bastille and 1975 both have new albums coming out first 1/4 of 2019. The festival just seems like a Radio 1 offshoot now. All artists that feature a lot on that radio station and regularly hits top 40 will play. 

The headliners seem to feature going back the last 4 years since it started changing the line ups:

1) A skinny jeans indie or american pop rock band (FOB, PATD, Kasabian, Foals, FOB, The Libertines, Arctic Monkeys, Blink 182, Paramore, Mumford)

2) A dad rock stadium band (Kings of Leon, Muse, Biffy, Metallica, QOTS, Foo Fighters)

3) A classic crowd pleaser that is listened to by all music fans (Kendrick, Eminem, RHCP, Disclosure,  Green Day)

Arctic Monkeys and Foos, one of them will headline Glastonbury and the other will go to R/L. They won't share because the people will go to one or the other and after spending so much on a headliner, the subs will be sub par and that is what will have to drive ticket sales over glastonbury. I can see Foos doing Glastonbury and AM doing Reading. 

The hip hop acts need to be one that appeals to all fans, Stormzy isn't and doesnt have an album planned. 2 albums doesnt a headliner make. That spot will be filled with Bastille or 1975. Watching Bastille sub in '17 the crowds absolutly loved it but the 1975 is bringing that big following too. They both get a lot of R1 airplay too so a possible co-headliner though both are very similar. Would likely see Royal Blood co-headline with Bastille as a weaker headline made up by AM the next day or 1975 on their own.

Finally the stadium band dad rock seems to be a remnant that is getting watered down from the classic days of R/L and we will likely get a classic crowd pleaser for the late 20s that was the soundtrack to their age 10-15 like Blink 182, Green Day, QOTS, RHCP, Biffy. QOTS is probably the cheapest of the lot and brought in a great crowd during NME secret set last year.

That is why I am going with Royal Blood/Bastille (co-headline) - Arctic Monkeys - Queens of the Stone Age

Solid line up, should win back the fans that called quits on it this year when AM and foos weren't announced, cheap to and keeps in tradition of past festivals whilst blooding in new headliners.

• Downvote 3