2019 festival

really doubt anything SHM does is gonna have a massive impact. to me it hardly even feels like an event considering axwell and sebastian ingrosso were still performing together. i just think dance music has sort of progressed past them and it’s just not really R&L’s thing on that level, disclosure being an exception.

i could just be talking out of my arse cause i haven’t been in any dance music spheres for years but i just don’t see much impact coming 

11 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I dunno I feel like SHM were never really as pop and mainstream as Guetta and Avicii. They were always huge and never really ever went full on pop like the other acts you mentioned. Plus SHM is known for their live shows, but Avicii and definitely Guetta are known for being shit live.

Most of the electronic world is kinda crapping itself right now (my twitter has been spammed by tweets about it at least). I think they're all overreacting, but I definitely think what they do next is gonna have a big impact. I wouldnt say theyre anywhere near as influential as Daft Punk, but I think they are probably the most influential since Daft Punk....

They were definitely very mainstream. Their songs were inescapable at the time. I'm not surprised that some people are flipping out over it because any reunion is amplified - lost count of how many reunions I've been bowled over by before remembering I'm not actually that big a fan - and SHM went out at the top of their game and inspired the likes of Avicii and Garrix and whoever, but EDM has lived three or four different lives since then and either what they do now is gonna be overrated or a shitty attempt at changing their style to fit in with what's cool now.

13 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

You're vastly overrating SHM (as you always do when you post about them). What they do next is gonna have no impact; they'll headline Creamfields or something and the people who liked them before they split up will enjoy it and no one else will give a shit.

I think most of the chatter about them is similar to Pendulum's return. It was hyped up for years by a vocal minority suggesting they were gonna headline major festivals, then they came back and it turned out that a lot of people had moved on and didn't give a shit anymore.

4 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

It made it to the top of /r/music (a notoriously anti-electronic pro-rock subreddit)

#2 is a CKY video. :lol:

33 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

It made it to the top of /r/music (a notoriously anti-electronic pro-rock subreddit)

It made it into mainstream media like The Independent

It was posted about by a bunch of EDM acts (Hardwell, Garrix, Marshmello, Rob Swire etc.) all of which basically included shit about how much they've missed them or how much this will change electronic music.

If you're big on the scene right now, this is a pretty big deal... I'm sure most rock fans don't give a crap, in the same way I don't give a crap about the new Rolling Stones tour

Well we'll see but I don't expect their return to have much of an impact at all. As I said, people who were into them before will go see em when they headline Creamfields or something and no one else will care.

It's nothing like the Rolling Stones tour. That's one of the biggest bands of all time doing what could be their last ever tour and the majority of people your age aren't gonna care seeing as they're a band from decades ago.

Swedish House Mafia were never that big of a deal, they were just one of the major acts when EDM was top of the game, along with the likes of David Guetta. They're returning when electronic music has moved on from what they did and I can't see many people caring. It's not like they were a revolutionary or hugely acclaimed act (quite the opposite in fact); they were just a very popular DJ group doing what young people were lapping up at the time.

27 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I think most of the chatter about them is similar to Pendulum's return. It was hyped up for years by a vocal minority suggesting they were gonna headline major festivals, then they came back and it turned out that a lot of people had moved on and didn't give a shit anymore.

Yeah I was actually gonna mention Pendulum in my post. People on here were saying for ages how they'll headline R&L when they return but I thought it seemed pretty obvious people had moved on from what they did. Obviously SHM were bigger than Pendulum at their peak but I still think they'll face a similar fate.

Pendulum got a reaction but SHM got a huge reaction, they headlined MK Bowl for one thing which Pendulum got no way near.

I actually thought Pendulum would be a bigger thing, not outright headlining Reading but subbing/co-headline (subbing may more realistic but not even that). I think they should have played Reading last year to be honest instead of headlining all the smaller shows as no one cares after that comeback year really.

I think a lot of rock fans will be bothered and on the mainstream...One was everywhere and Don't You Worry Child especially off of their 2nd album was huge. Personally I liked them and will attend Cream if they did a day but I think their Ultra lightshow for e.g. wasn't all that.

1 hour ago, Jane gibbons said:

Any chance of jack White or arcade fire headling? 

I think there is a chance for Jack subbing next year but as playing 3 years straight is unlikely I reckon 2020 Glastonbury subbing set has way more chance. It would majorly surprise me if both him and the festival don't enquire for that...he could of course do the Other stage but still comes down to coming over and playing 3 years. 

26 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

White's sales figures at the midweek for Boarding House Reach are dire, mind you. Mustered 4.6k so expecting an under/over of around 9,000 copies.

Given his last solo record opened with 25k, that's a big drop, even in today's market. 17,000 would have been much more acceptable tracking.

Tbf Blunderbuss was Okay, has some alright tracks. Lazaretto was fair poor to be honest and Boarding House Reach does nothing for me....It sounds very much like Lazaretto exhausted his options and I'm a fan of his.

1 hour ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

White's sales figures at the midweek for Boarding House Reach are dire, mind you. Mustered 4.6k so expecting an under/over of around 9,000 copies.

Given his last solo record opened with 25k, that's a big drop, even in today's market. 17,000 would have been much more acceptable tracking.

There hasn’t been that much marketing to be fair and the few times he’s lifted the veil he’s shown some pretty bad songs so I’m not surprised people have given buying this one a miss.

Additionally he’s probably entering the classic rock realm now where he can pack the crowds in but not necessarily full of folk who are au fait with the latest release.

Edited by dentalplan

1 hour ago, Bisque said:

I think the current majority crowd that goes to R&L these days wouldn’t even know a Pendulum song. I bought Hold Your Colour when I was 17/18, a long fucking time has passed since then & none of my friends would go back to R&L now.

As an 18 year old a lot of me and my

friends are quite familiar with pendulum. I think one of their songs was in a video game or something but were all gutted about the Kendrick clash

21 hours ago, dentalplan said:

There hasn’t been that much marketing to be fair and the few times he’s lifted the veil he’s shown some pretty bad songs so I’m not surprised people have given buying this one a miss.

Additionally he’s probably entering the classic rock realm now where he can pack the crowds in but not necessarily full of folk who are au fait with the latest release.

Here, that's a good point. What artists arguably fill the classic realm now where significant downscaled success doesn't impact their live pull?

Think Biffy are a reasonable shout there, if on a bigger scale; Ellipsis was a massive drop-off from Opposites but they still sold around the same amount of tickets for the UK arena tour as prior/would have commended a bigger R+L crowd in '16 were it not for The 1975 on the Radio 1 Stage.

9 minutes ago, Properbigfan said:

Any reason for blur

Not really. I assume Gorillaz will have stopped touring by next summer so it seems reasonable that Blur could be back. Glastonbury might get them instead, although they could be a possibility for 2020 there which will make them available for R&L in 2019. Also wanted to have a big-ish returning headliner with the others being The 1975, Chance, BMTH and 21 Pilots. It's a bit of a long shot though... probably won't happen, but there's always hope!

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

2 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Not really. I assume Gorillaz will have stopped touring by next summer so it seems reasonable that Blur could be back. Glastonbury might get them instead, although they could be a possibility for 2020 there which will make them available for R&L in 2019. Also wanted to have a big-ish returning headliner with the others being The 1975, Chance, BMTH and 21 Pilots. It's a bit of a long shot though... probably won't happen, but there's always hope!

I don’t think Blur would tour for two consecutive summers. It’d probably be one fest or the other, unless they shared of course.

On 30/03/2018 at 4:28 PM, Jeremy F 2000 said:

all American rejects????? also maybe panic will be back to headline because there new single is at 34 in the charts and two door cinema club came back 2 years in a row in 2017 so it might happen

These parody accounts aren’t even remotely convincing anymore...