2019 festival

1 minute ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I think the chances of The 1975 & BMTH headlining are pretty high for 2019. I reckon the third will be one of Kanye, Arctics and Green Day.

If it is The 1975, Arctics and BMTH it'd be the first time that all the headliners were British since 2000 (when it was Oasis, Pulp & Stereophonics).

I could see BMTH doing Download next year (as if they keep going more poppy like TTS it's probably their last chance to do it) and then do R&L in 2020.

I'm guessing something like:

1975 / Kanye / Green Day

BMTH / Arctics / BBK+21P

Depending on releases schedule etc. (maybe swap Drake in for Kanye, and maybe MCR in for Greenday or the coheadline if they come back)

44 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I think the chances of The 1975 & BMTH headlining are pretty high for 2019. I reckon the third will be one of Kanye, Arctics and Green Day.

If it is The 1975, Arctics and BMTH it'd be the first time that all the headliners were British since 2000 (when it was Oasis, Pulp & Stereophonics).

That would make a nice change to have a trio of British headliners not that I have anything against other bands headlining. I also thinks it's good to see different bands being given the chance to headline working their way up from the lower stages. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I think Arctic Monkeys have gotta be headlining Glastonbury for it's 50th anniversary, almost definitely ruling them out of a headline slot. Due to the monumental scale of what the lineup of Glastonbury next year is rumoured to be I think it would be interesting Reading and Leeds to break the mould and promote some emerging bands to a headline slot. I think also think that music for cars will undoubtedly secure the 1975 a full out headline, especially following a year of its circulation, that is if its not shite.

Just now, ket said:

I think Arctic Monkeys have gotta be headlining Glastonbury for it's 50th anniversary, almost definitely ruling them out of a headline slot. Due to the monumental scale of what the lineup of Glastonbury next year is rumoured to be I think it would be interesting Reading and Leeds to break the mould and promote some emerging bands to a headline slot. I think also think that music for cars will undoubtedly secure the 1975 a full out headline, especially following a year of its circulation, that is if its not shite.

The 50th anniversary is 2020, not 2019. Also the 50th anniversary lineup isn't going to be drastically different to any other year. Perhaps a couple of special guests thrown into the lineup, but in general it'll probably be similar in size to other years of the festival.

It is possible that Glastonbury will get AM in 2019 though, potentially ruling them out for R&L as you say. The 1975 are the only act I'd put money on to headline R&L in 2019 right now.

If the new Catfish and the Bottlemen album comes out before this summer when they're playing Y NOT and Kendal and stuff; surely that'd take them out of the running to headling Reading in 2019 wouldn't it? Like, you wouldn't see bands headlining those types of festivals and then Reading and/or Leeds the next year would ye?

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If the new Catfish and the Bottlemen album comes out before this summer when they're playing Y NOT and Kendal and stuff; surely that'd take them out of the running to headling Reading in 2019 wouldn't it? Like, you wouldn't see bands headlining those types of festivals and then Reading and/or Leeds the next year would ye?

funnily enough, i said very similar to someone earlier.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah I feel like they'll be main stage sub next year if they're there, unless this new album does considerably better than anticipated for whatever reason which I can't see happening.

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

funnily enough, i said very similar to someone earlier.

Maybe they've been given up on already. I just looked through some old Kendal lineups and the headliners (for as far back as I can see) never contained an act still on an upward trajectory to headline festivals. I know it was the death knell for The Vaccines when they were announced there, while a lot of us were still discussing them headlining Reading.

6 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Yeah I feel like they'll be main stage sub next year if they're there, unless this new album does considerably better than anticipated for whatever reason which I can't see happening.

Yeah perhaps. Might even get overlooked for that as well.

Edited by dentalplan

58 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Maybe they've been given up on already. I just looked through some old Kendal lineups and the headliners (for as far back as I can see) never contained an act still on an upward trajectory to headline festivals. I know it was the death knell for The Vaccines when they were announced there, while a lot of us were still discussing them headlining Reading.

This was my first thought when everyone was saying it's an awful lineup (not just on here). I thought Catfish were a good booking for them as it's rare for them to get headliners who are on an upwards trajectory.

Think you could be right in them being given up on already. When we first started thinking about this year's lineups I thought they'd be a stick on for Latitude to have them ready to headline R&L on their next album. Hopefully this is the end of their rise.

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I never thought Catfish would make it to headliner. The Vaccines spring to mind instantly. Loads of us thought they would make it to headliners but they’ve sort of plateued now. Catfish will be the same. 

I think YM@6 are in & around this category too

edit: as in Sub at most/third down/NME headliners

Edited by Bisque

11 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I never thought Catfish would make it to headliner. The Vaccines spring to mind instantly. Loads of us thought they would make it to headliners but they’ve sort of plateued now. Catfish will be the same. 

but it's the decisions you make that decide how things pan out in the future. To my mind, catfish have gone for the money now, and at the expense of their future.

For a different way to do it, take a look at Wolf Alice. Here's betting they won't have whored themselves out to every festival next year (but i bet they have the offers so they could).

Hadn't really considered them but after seeing Guns n Roses suggested in the other thread I'd say they're possible for 2019, especially if there's a smaller pool of 'big' acts available next year. Haven't looked too deeply into this but it seems they've been around Europe early summer last year and this year, so later summer would make sense in 2019 if they're still touring.

The 1975, Kanye West, Guns n Roses.

Edit: leaving Arctics and Green Day + someone else to headline in 2020.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

1 minute ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Hadn't really considered them but after seeing Guns n Roses suggested in the other thread I'd say they're possible for 2019, especially if there's a smaller pool of 'big' acts available next year. Haven't looked too deeply into this but it seems they've been around Europe early summer last year and this year, so later summer would make sense in 2019 if they're still touring.

The 1975, Kanye West, Guns n Roses.

Edit: leaving Arctics and Green Day + someone else to headline in 2020.

Doubt they’re still touring next year. Axl is meant to be going into the studio with AC/DC and Slash with his own band.

And you can discuss the possibility of bands without changing your predictions for the next two years, ya know? :P

Just now, dentalplan said:

Doubt they’re still touring next year. Axl is meant to be going into the studio with AC/DC and Slash with his own band.

ahh fair

Just now, dentalplan said:

And you can discuss the possibility of bands without changing your predictions for the next two years, ya know? :P

oh shit really

R&L : The 1975 / Green Day / Kanye West

Glastonbury : Foals / Arctic Monkeys / Beyoncé 

Download : BMTH / Metallica / Slipknot

IoW : Florence / Bon Jovi / ?? (Muse or Phil Collins ??)

TRNSMT : Foals / Florence / ?? (Muse or Green Day ??)

Tough one because IoW and TRNSMT have used up all the MoR shite this year. Will Kings of Leon be back? 

Edited by Steve1000

26 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

R&L : The 1975 / Green Day / Kanye West

Glastonbury : Foals / Arctic Monkeys / Beyoncé 

Download : BMTH / Metallica / Slipknot

IoW : Florence / Bon Jovi / ?? (Muse or Phil Collins ??)

TRNSMT : Foals / Florence / ?? (Muse or Green Day ??)

Tough one because IoW and TRNSMT have used up all the MoR shite this year. Will Kings of Leon be back? 

I imagine The Smashing Pumpkins could potentially be somewhere next year. Probably either Download, IoW, TRNSMT or BST.

10 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I imagine The Smashing Pumpkins could potentially be somewhere next year. Probably either Download, IoW, TRNSMT or BST.

Probably their own shows. I don't think IoW or TRNSMT would care, and Download have a lot of options for headliners next year who'd get chosen ahead of them. 

1 minute ago, Steve1000 said:

Probably their own shows. I don't think IoW or TRNSMT would care, and Download have a lot of options for headliners next year who'd get chosen ahead of them. 

I guess, and like I say BST could be an option.

But I dunno about Download having loads of options necessarily, apart from the three names you've mentioned I can't think of many others that will likely be around the headline Download next year.. maybe Muse again? It's not unthinkable that R&L could end up getting BMTH instead of Download as well.

2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

But I dunno about Download having loads of options necessarily, apart from the three names you've mentioned I can't think of many others that will likely be around the headline Download next year.. maybe Muse again? It's not unthinkable that R&L could end up getting BMTH instead of Download as well.

Slipknot, Maiden, Metallica, BMTH, Rammstein well in the frame, then Tool or MCR if they're back. Def Leppard are doing Hysteria shows, Kiss could be about, and possibly Green Day / Muse / Blink. Could even bump FFDP or ADTR. 

Probably not a bad year for a Soni.

4 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I dunno about BMTH, I reckon they'd see how well a Download set was received first before giving them R&L, plus otherwise they'd have both BMTH and 1975 doing their first ever headline shows at big fests at the same time. I reckon they'd try and split them out over 2 years.

TBH I agree with the R&L part of Steve's prediction. Could be Drake instead of Kanye, could be MCR if they're back instead of Green Day. Other than that, I think Green Day/Kanye/1975 would be great bookings

I don't think Green Day will be back next year. We were on about them a little bit for this year because they coulda just been filling in some gaps from last summer's date or touring this greatest hits comp but next year looks unlikely. They seem to take their time between album releases so I doubt they'll have anything to tour by next summer, at a time where Revolution Radio will be less than three years old.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

I don't think Green Day will be back next year. We were on about them a little bit for this year because they coulda just been filling in some gaps from last summer's date or touring this greatest hits comp but next year looks unlikely. They seem to take their time between album releases so I doubt they'll have anything to tour by next summer, at a time where Revolution Radio will be less than three years old.

I've only put them in because someone on here said they'll have an album out next year. But if not I'll swap them for BMTH and have Rammstein @ Download, or for Arctics and Fleetwoods @glasto