2019 festival

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

Personally, I'd swap Green Day in for BMTH, who would headline Download in 2019 and then do Reading 2020. That would leave 2020 to be BMTH // Arctics // Rapper which imo seems pretty reasonable (tbh by that point could even be a coheadline with Chance or someone else who blows up by then).

Yeah fair. If BMTH's album is out this year they might not still be touring it in 2020 though. At this point the only one that I'm pretty sure on would be The 1975. There's a fair few options for the other two. Reckon The Strokes could be a shout as well.

19 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Just checked and (I think) the last time they had 3 acts that had never headlined the festival before was 2010 with Guns N Roses, Arcade Fire and Blink-182, so not tooooo long ago. Although tbf Guns N Roses and Blink-182 were both very established by then.

Guns and Rose headlined just leeds before, for some reason not reading, with prodigy under them, who headlined at reading. 2002

Checked again and it was actually 2009 when they last had all new headliners, so only the year before aha. Kings of Leon, Arctic Monkeys and Radiohead.

In fact, you could probably draw comparisons with that trio and The 1975/BMTH/Kanye:
- The 1975 = Arctics, having released their third album and having a quick, explosive rise.
- BMTH = KoL, more of a slow burning rise, a band that the festival has pushed up the lineup over the years.
- Kanye = Radiohead, both very critically acclaimed acts who definitely could have headlined the festival before but haven't for whatever reason.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Was really thinking MGMT could make an appearance again in the next couple of R&L's but their new music isn't filling me with a lot of confidence yet again. 

It's right boring so far.

They play Electric Feel and Kids right at the end, so just watch them late on innit.

3 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

- BMTH = KoL, more of a slow burning rise, a band that the festival has pushed up the lineup over the years.

Dunno about this. KoL had just released Sex on Fire/Use Somebody and Only By the Night, and had headlined Glasto the previous year. Bit different to BMTH :P

Yeah they had gradually moved up the lineup, but they had a massive explosion in popularity to take them from subs to headliners, meaning that whilst they were a new headliner, they were also one of the biggest bands on the planet.

Arctic Monkeys had also headlined Glasto on their previous album and were also one of the biggest bands on the planet. The 1975 may become huge off this next album but I don't see them being at the level Arctic Monkeys were (for reference, their Glasto slot on the previous album was 3rd down the Other Stage).

So yeah, even though 2009 was 3 new headliners, it was three of the biggest bands on the planet. One of them with a decade and a half of that status under their belt, and the other two being probably the two biggest bands in modern indie-rock at the time.

That 2019 trio has a band who will certainly be headliners on their next album and may or may not have a couple of big radio hits to give them a KoL-esque boost; a rapper who, whilst big, is a hugely controversial figure whose last UK festival appearance went down pretty badly on the whole, and even had a petition to remove him from the lineup; and a metalcore-turned-pop band who'll probably just be headline status and half the festival's audience won't want to go near.

9 hours ago, The Placid Casual said:

It's right boring so far.

They play Electric Feel and Kids right at the end, so just watch them late on innit.

These new songs are so interesting imo. It's annoying how people cling onto those few oracular singles, every album has a descent amount of songs, just never the same style

5 hours ago, ace56blaa said:

These new songs are so interesting imo. It's annoying how people cling onto those few oracular singles, every album has a descent amount of songs, just never the same style

If you're going to get annoyed at other people having a different taste to you, you'll never be happy.

• Upvote 1

If this 2 stage thing proves to be true and continues into 2019 then I'd predict:

The 1975 • Florence & the Machine
Green Day • Twenty One Pilots
Biffy Clyro • Boy Better Know

Could maybe swap one of them for Foals too.

Edit: Although both Green Day and Biffy headlined in 2013. Dunno if that'll matter too much considering there's technically 6 headliners or not, might start getting hard avoiding stuff like that.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

19 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

If this 2 stage thing proves to be true and continues into 2019 then I'd predict:

The 1975 • Florence & the Machine
Green Day • Twenty One Pilots
Biffy Clyro • Boy Better Know

Could maybe swap one of them for Foals too.

Edit: Although both Green Day and Biffy headlined in 2013. Dunno if that'll matter too much considering there's technically 6 headliners or not, might start getting hard avoiding stuff like that.

I'd move Flo to where you've got Biffy and maybe add Catfish into her slit tbh.

Edit: Her slot. Calm down, Van.

Edited by Gucci Piggy

16 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I can’t imagine QOTSA not headlining next year, and that’s if they just have three headliners as well. There doesn’t seem to be a band with a stronger bond with the festival and they’re at their peak now, plus have a FR promoted gig this year, so I don’t see how R+L can miss them on this tour.

Don't care, get em to Glasto.

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I feel like they’d have headlined Glasto this year if it wasn’t for those fooking cows. Probably doesn’t sync up with their dates next year to play.

Yeah I was thinking they'd probably not be over here at the time. Hopefully a once in a lifetime opportunity to headline Glasto can sway em.

I was thinking of them as potential Glastonbury headliners for next year but thats a good point about them probably doing later festivals. Ideally they’d see Glastonbury as such a big deal that it would be possible, as well as maybe doing some of the other festivals they’re skipping this summer like BBK, Open’er, Roskilde etc.

41 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I was thinking of them as potential Glastonbury headliners for next year but thats a good point about them probably doing later festivals. Ideally they’d see Glastonbury as such a big deal that it would be possible, as well as maybe doing some of the other festivals they’re skipping this summer like BBK, Open’er, Roskilde etc.

I'd never thought about all the ones they were missing this year, plus I suppose they did loads of US festivals over the summer last year so won't be doing them next time. I'm quite confident they should be somewhere next summer though so I'd prefer Glastonbury but R+L seems a little more clear cut.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

I'd never thought about all the ones they were missing this year, plus I suppose they did loads of US festivals over the summer last year so won't be doing them next time. I'm quite confident they should be somewhere next summer though so I'd prefer Glastonbury but R+L seems a little more clear cut.

Seems like they did a similar run of dates to this years festivals in their first summer of touring Like Clockwork then did a few weeks in early June doing Rock Am Ring, Northside etc as well as the August ones the following year so hopefully something similar this time round too.

11 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Yeah I was thinking they'd probably not be over here at the time. Hopefully a once in a lifetime opportunity to headline Glasto can sway em.

Would QOTSA headline Glastonbury? Biffy Clyro didn't headline but they headlined every other festival. I could see them as a sub at somewhere like Glastonbury.

31 minutes ago, stevieg1993 said:

Would QOTSA headline Glastonbury? Biffy Clyro didn't headline but they headlined every other festival. I could see them as a sub at somewhere like Glastonbury.

I dunno - I think they coulda this year because there weren’t as many bands about to headline (although that might be as a result of no Glasto) but they’ve grown a fair bit since they headlined the Other Stage when last there, and that’s a pretty prestigious slot. Maybe they just thought Biffy were a bit crap.

• Downvote 1

Biffy would definitely have been the act to be bumped up had a headliner dropped out last year though. Could see QOTSA being similar - if they're struggling for headliners they'll be given it outright, but if they have options they'll be given the sub slot with the knowledge that if anyone drops out they'll be the ones to be bumped up.

1 minute ago, Chris Vincent said:

My Prediction (feed back pls)

Friday:

Main- Parimore//Courteeners//Pale Waves//Lorde

NME-Wolf Alice

Saturday:

Main-Foo Fighters//Travis Scott//Bicep//Don Broco//

NME-Dua Lipa

Sunday:

Main-Arctic Monkeys//The 1975//The Vaccines//Lethal Bizzle

NME- Frank Carter and The Rattle Snakes

Was this meant to be in the 2019 thread? Assuming not.