Tips on my hangover cure!

O'Doyle Rules

1 hour ago, Kinkyinuit said:

You can be as proactive and try to reduce the harm as much as you want, but if the hangover isn't gone after a berocca and a bacon barm, your only option is to get back on it.

I try and make sure before I start hitting it hard, I do it on a full stomach and an empty bowel. If I remember to eat or drink anything remotely healthy after that, it's a miracle.

For the more chemically disposed people out there, I can't recommend 5-htp enough (available at all good health stores). A couple of them every morning helps build up the stocks of serotonin that have been depleted in the previous nights excess. Ideally I'd start taking them a week or so before the festival to build up the reserves!

I've read about these 5htp things, and how you shouldn't take them whilst drinking alcohol (before or soon after) any idea on this? Also what exactly are they? 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, The Placid Casual said:

Water in between drinks does a lot more for you than water right before bed.

True dat. I carry a water bottle with water in and a water bottle with wine in. Means I accidentally get water in me through day & night as I forget which is which. 

16 minutes ago, jorddzz said:

I've read about these 5htp things, and how you shouldn't take them whilst drinking alcohol (before or soon after) any idea on this? Also what exactly are they? 

I have them first thing when I get up.  It usually takes me a couple of hours to be able to face alcohol these days, however some research says that drinking within 6 hours of taking 5 htp can cause a bit of nausea. I can't recall if I've experienced that myself, or if it was just a standard hangover. Generally speaking, it isn't a good idea to take them later in the evening or when you've already indulged in whatever chemical takes your fancy

As for what they are and do;  5 htp is converted into serotonin, this is the neurotransmitter that (among other things) affects mood and emotion.  Drugs such as mdma, lsd, dmt work by increasing the amount of serotonin that your brain gets and as such, tends to deplete stores or temporarily burn out the receptors in your brain.  This is basically what a comedown is.  By taking 5 htp in the build up (and every morning) of the festival, it keeps the stock a little higher and takes the edge off somewhat.

There's been some arguments about their effectiveness, but at worst they are a placebo. Sometimes I've felt better after taking them not because they have worked, but I've taken some positive action in sorting out whatever turmoil I've put my body and mind through!

That said, it isn't the best idea to take 5 htp while still on mdma, as it's more likely to further burn you out, it's better to wait until the effects are fully worn off. 

20 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

I have them first thing when I get up.  It usually takes me a couple of hours to be able to face alcohol these days, however some research says that drinking within 6 hours of taking 5 htp can cause a bit of nausea. I can't recall if I've experienced that myself, or if it was just a standard hangover. Generally speaking, it isn't a good idea to take them later in the evening or when you've already indulged in whatever chemical takes your fancy

As for what they are and do;  5 htp is converted into serotonin, this is the neurotransmitter that (among other things) affects mood and emotion.  Drugs such as mdma, lsd, dmt work by increasing the amount of serotonin that your brain gets and as such, tends to deplete stores or temporarily burn out the receptors in your brain.  This is basically what a comedown is.  By taking 5 htp in the build up (and every morning) of the festival, it keeps the stock a little higher and takes the edge off somewhat.

There's been some arguments about their effectiveness, but at worst they are a placebo. Sometimes I've felt better after taking them not because they have worked, but I've taken some positive action in sorting out whatever turmoil I've put my body and mind through!

That said, it isn't the best idea to take 5 htp while still on mdma, as it's more likely to further burn you out, it's better to wait until the effects are fully worn off. 

No at worst it may cause Serotonin syndrome

Edited by fur_q

I bought some 5 htp last year as it was recommended to me on here, i only started taking it after the festival, so started Monday. By Thursday i was still feeling so terrible that i stopped taking them, as my thinking was they definitely aren't helping, and may actually be making things worse!

It scares me to think that they were actually working and that there was a possibility i could have actually felt worse!

Last year i was on the Alka-Saltzar and Berocca combination every morning, but to be honest, the only thing that made me feel any better was getting drunk again, butit was such a struggle to force those first few cans down. I resorted to rum and coke on Sunday and that was a bit better.

At home, I can't possibly face a hangover without knocking one out. Bashing the ol bishop. Shaking hands with the unemployed. Spanking the monkey. Wrestling the lizard. 

It seems a bit sordid to do so at a festival :( so a smoothie and a nice big poo will simply have to suffice! 

Edited by balti-pie

5 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

At home, I can't possibly face a hangover without knocking one out. Bashing the ol bishop. Shaking hands with the unemployed. Spanking the monkey. Wrestling the lizard. 

It seems a bit sordid to do so at a festival :( so a smoothie and a nice big poo will simply have to suffice! 

It's Glastonbury pal. There's a lot more sordid going on than a wee tent w*nk. Liberate yourself.

I don't seem to get hangovers at festivals the same way I would after a normal night out at home. I think if you drink enough you're never really sober and that keeps the hangovers away. Might look into getting some of that 5htp stuff though. 

Christ I must be getting old.. I totally agree with all that's been said apart from waking one off........ No need as I have a wife lol....... 

I really suffer nowadays but think I'll take some of your lots advice.. 

2 hours ago, Grinding aftertaste said:

It's Glastonbury pal. There's a lot more sordid going on than a wee tent w*nk. Liberate yourself.

It's a lot more sordid when you're trying to hide it from your missus/mates/kids elsewhere in the tent :lol: 

On your way back to your tent:- grab some food. Something like chips/churros/crepe...anything stodgy and crap.

At the tent:- Down a berocca, 2 x paracetamol and a bottle of water. Keep another bottle of water next to bed for throughout the night.

Upon waking:- Dirolyte, 2× paracetamol, some more water.

Heading back into festival:- Breakfast bap and a fruity cider. 

Never fails.

5 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Same here. Not sure if it's the constant fresh air, food in between or the fact I don't tend to drink when the acts are actually on. Don't think I've ever been as drunk at any festival as I manage to get on nights out back home.

Maintaining a suitable level of just past tipsy for 5 days straight is an art form. I am becoming much better at mastering this as the years go by. 

6 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

Jager.

In other news I like where hair of the dog originates from:

'The expression the hair of the dog, for an alcoholic drink taken to cure a hangover, is a shortening of ‘a hair of the dog that bit you’. It comes from an old belief that someone bitten by a rabid dog could be cured of rabies by taking a potion containing some of the dog's hair. The correlation suggests that, although alcohol may be to blame for the hangover (as the dog is for the attack), a smaller portion of the same will, paradoxically, act as a cure. There is, it should be added, no scientific evidence that the cure for either a hangover or rabies actually works.'

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/explore/what-is-the-origin-of-the-phrase-hair-of-the-dog

I had previously heard that it was stitching the wound with the dog's hair as opposed to a potion with it which is even better in my opinion.

The science behind it is, when you drink alcohol all your veins expand then as you dehydrate they all contract, causing a headache. Thus, when you drink alcohol the next day your veins expand again relieving you of said headache. 

Pretty sure I'm not talking bullshit anyway. 

Edited by Franky

Water, water, water before bed! Water when you already have the hangover is fine, but you still suffer.  Especially if the weather is hot.  Drink a pint of water before you go to sleep and have a bottle of water next to you over night in case you wake up.  Take a swig and go back to sleep.  

Hydration, hydration, hydration!

As I've got older my hangovers have got steadily worse to the point where I'm aware of my alcohol threshold now. Unfortunately this doesn't stop me from exceeding it regularly and a couple of years ago I found the following hangover cure. I still feel like shit occasionally but this works for me 90% of the time.

Give it a go before the festival, if it works for you like it works for me then you'll never try anything else.

Before sleep take 2 Alka Seltzer XS (XS not original as it has added caffeine and electrolyte) in 500ml of water. I dilute mine with vimto just to make it taste a little better.

Half the time you won't feel too bad in the morning but if you still have that hungover feeling another 2 Alka Seltzer XS in 500ml of water plus 2 Ibuprofen Lysine tablets.

The above generally sorts me out within 30 mins.

Then keep yourself hydrated (no excuse for not doing this with the amount of wateraid points around the site).

If this works for just one other person my work here is done!:)

IMG_1254.JPG

IMG_1255.JPG