Tips on my hangover cure!

O'Doyle Rules

Won't be a poplar routine on here but I generally leave the sight, drive into Glastonbury and go to the local leisure centre. Will have a shower, cut my hair and a shave. Then head into the town centre itself and have a full breakfast in one of the cafes. Fresh clobber on and then it is back the festival feeling fill of life again.

Always nice to contribute to the local economy as well.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can be as proactive and try to reduce the harm as much as you want, but if the hangover isn't gone after a berocca and a bacon barm, your only option is to get back on it.

I try and make sure before I start hitting it hard, I do it on a full stomach and an empty bowel. If I remember to eat or drink anything remotely healthy after that, it's a miracle.

For the more chemically disposed people out there, I can't recommend 5-htp enough (available at all good health stores). A couple of them every morning helps build up the stocks of serotonin that have been depleted in the previous nights excess. Ideally I'd start taking them a week or so before the festival to build up the reserves!

1 hour ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

Am looking at getting all my stuff in for dealing with the inevitable hangovers/comedowns.

How does this look first thing in morning:

1. 1l bottle of water with Berocca
  2. 1l bottle of water with rehydration sachet (apparently Tesco do their own but can anyone recommend?)
  3. 2 x 500mg paracetomol tablets
  4. Cup of tea
  5. Food

Any changes/additions?

I mix the berocca with an Alka seltzer xs. Then it's coffee, porridge and a banana 

My self-care morning routine is less about hangovers and comedowns these days and more about just keepin' on!  In addition to Berocca and Dioralyte before leaving the tent, I get a fruit smoothie made with frozen fruit down at West Holts.  Drink half, feel all the sugars and vitamins coursing through me, then stick a generous slug of vodka into the rest.

Jager.

In other news I like where hair of the dog originates from:

'The expression the hair of the dog, for an alcoholic drink taken to cure a hangover, is a shortening of ‘a hair of the dog that bit you’. It comes from an old belief that someone bitten by a rabid dog could be cured of rabies by taking a potion containing some of the dog's hair. The correlation suggests that, although alcohol may be to blame for the hangover (as the dog is for the attack), a smaller portion of the same will, paradoxically, act as a cure. There is, it should be added, no scientific evidence that the cure for either a hangover or rabies actually works.'

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/explore/what-is-the-origin-of-the-phrase-hair-of-the-dog

I had previously heard that it was stitching the wound with the dog's hair as opposed to a potion with it which is even better in my opinion.

I tend to wake up still drunk so hair of the dog is a given... But Morrison's own brand Berocca. Choose something nice from the mini cereal multi-pack. Pour fresh farm milk in and eat straight from the pack. A farm OJ. And used to get a frozen yoghurt from Yeo. But that's fcked now!

1 hour ago, Bonaneas said:

Ooooh good shout but I don't know. It's far too a messy & needy drug for Glasto. For a morning kick you need something that can be left alone for a few hours. 

"Just one line to wake up and that's me done until this evening." Said nobody, ever. 

I must admit I hadn't thought about this. I was only going to bring about 2 or 3 bags with me to last the festival with the thought of "a bit in the morning and then the rest in the night".

Your post raises a very valid point, though.

31 minutes ago, The Placid Casual said:

Pace yourself.

Someone boo me.

A few years ago I may have sent a boo your way.  These days I strongly agree.

I've got more and better memories of glasto when I haven't been hitting it like the festival owed me money.  I've got plenty of stories about me when I'm like that, but none from my point of view.

Remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint

36 minutes ago, The Placid Casual said:

Pace yourself.

Someone boo me.

Pretty much nailed it, I still have a hangover though, just a manageable one.

Funnily enough, I will drink all day, from about 9/10 and still not get out of control pissed as I'll take the steady Eddie approach.

8 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I must admit I hadn't thought about this. I was only going to bring about 2 or 3 bags with me to last the festival with the thought of "a bit in the morning and then the rest in the night".

Your post raises a very valid point, though.

You could have the wake up line, then go watch the lunch time Led Zep reunion but those wee bags will be pulling on your noggin so much that you'll fuck the pink floyd reunion off to run to your tent for the stash, and you'll miss the holographic Beatles reunion. Nothing else will matter after that first line my friend !!  

4 minutes ago, 6t6o6m said:

Funnily enough, I will drink all day, from about 9/10 and still not get out of control pissed as I'll take the steady Eddie approach.

Same here. Not sure if it's the constant fresh air, food in between or the fact I don't tend to drink when the acts are actually on. Don't think I've ever been as drunk at any festival as I manage to get on nights out back home.

Edited by DareToDibble

2 minutes ago, Bonaneas said:

You could have the wake up line, then go watch the lunch time Led Zep reunion but those wee bags will be pulling on your noggin so much that you'll fuck the pink floyd reunion off to run to your tent for the stash, and you'll miss the holographic Beatles reunion. Nothing else will matter after that first line my friend !!  

Hahaha! Worryingly true! :lol:

Based on last year's hangover tips thread I bought some Milk Thistle. I took two before I went to bed every night and two in the morning. While I still felt dehydrated in the morning, I was ready to get back on it after some water, rehydration sachets and food. I also find eating before bed helps with any nausea. I have THE WORST hangovers (2014 was the famous year that I hit it too hard on the Thursday and was still hungover by the end of the festival and as a result saw about 1 band) but a combination of the above seems to sort me out!

9 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Same here. Not sure if it's the constant fresh air, food in between or the fact I don't tend to drink when the acts are actually on. Don't think I've ever been as drunk at any festival as I manage to get on nights out back home.

I've learnt from countless mistakes at Download and Reading Fest. :lol:

I think that's the reason though, I eat more at glasto and don't tend to drink during the acts. I'll wander around with a brothers in hand every so often and take it easy whilst I'm back at the tent.