Missing Glastonbury institutions?

Cabaret_Tent

36 minutes ago, WellyPhobic said:

They are playing on the 16th June in King Arthur Pub in Glastonbury. I'm hoping they stick around for the festival, maybe they'll join Nik for the Mandala jam sessions??

The fact that they are around at that time makes it even more of a snub, I guess, which is a pity. I guess you might be right about the Mandala tent, though the few times I've popped into the jam, it seemed to be a fairly acoustic affair. Space Ritual would flatten the batteries in five minutes, I'd have thought. That said, a few years back I wandered in around 1 in the morning and a band billed as the Aliens turned out to a mix of Space Ritual, Whimwise and Pyramids of Snafu. They even managed to play one tune - Steppenwolf I think - but most of the time were just making weird noises and running round the tent in a substance fueled frenzy. Needless to say a good night was had by all, but I've never seen repeat performance. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, sparkythetortoise said:

The fact that they are around at that time makes it even more of a snub, I guess, which is a pity. I guess you might be right about the Mandala tent, though the few times I've popped into the jam, it seemed to be a fairly acoustic affair. Space Ritual would flatten the batteries in five minutes, I'd have thought. That said, a few years back I wandered in around 1 in the morning and a band billed as the Aliens turned out to a mix of Space Ritual, Whimwise and Pyramids of Snafu. They even managed to play one tune - Steppenwolf I think - but most of the time were just making weird noises and running round the tent in a substance fueled frenzy. Needless to say a good night was had by all, but I've never seen repeat performance. 

The Aliens - ( ie members of The Beta Band ) split up a few years ago.  I am a huge fan saw em in 07 at The Park when they were up against Arctic Monkeys and they played Williams Green back in 09 .  That year I was in the 50's diner dancing away in the early hours and I recognised it was them dancing next to me , then lo and behold the keyboard player tried to chat up the girl I was with up with " I am in a band and we have just played Glastonbury "  But as she had never heard of them it did not wash with her !!!!

1 hour ago, ripcurl85 said:
  • WHEEL OF FOUR TUNESSENSATION SEEKERS STAGETHURSDAY23:30 - 01:00
  • WHEEL OF FOUR TUNESSENSATION SEEKERS STAGEFRIDAY21:45 - 22:45
  • WHEEL OF FOUR TUNESSENSATION SEEKERS STAGESATURDAY02:00 - 03:00

There you go :)

Hero! 

3 hours ago, ivan said:

The Aliens - ( ie members of The Beta Band ) split up a few years ago.  

You're thinking of the Scottish band, I think. These were different Aliens, from the planet Spacerock, and certainly wouldn't be let loose on one of the main stages. Half of the people I saw that night, some of which I have since got to know, are involved with the running of the Mandala tent. Lovely people, and completely nuts.

53 minutes ago, sparkythetortoise said:

You're thinking of the Scottish band, I think. These were different Aliens, from the planet Spacerock, and certainly wouldn't be let loose on one of the main stages. Half of the people I saw that night, some of which I have since got to know, are involved with the running of the Mandala tent. Lovely people, and completely nuts.

Aye ,  The Aliens are sadly missed . Astronomy for Dogs is a brilliant album ( I bought it on special vinyl and cd ).  The Aliens were a bit nuts  also and I know some of the band have had their issues

23 hours ago, Larraht said:

Thursday is always my favourite day with the most clashes! I love the more novel, fun acts and as such can I make some recomendations? You may have already seen some of these but my plan is to see Lekiddo Lord of the Lobsters 》Mik Artistic 》NY Brass Band at Gateway. Then Showhawk Duo at Williams Green. Then finishing up at Bimble Inn for Oh My God, It's the Church. All are really good fun for different reasons and do the job of getting the party started!

That's great - thanks!

Lost Thursday ! its an institution.

You wake up thinking what are we going to do today ?, then the next thing you know its 8.00 am Friday morning and you need a few hours kip before first band on at Other Stage.

We can never really remember what we do on Lost Thursday but we all agree its the best day of the festival

On 31/05/2017 at 9:15 AM, mazola said:

Mundo Jazz on Sunday night

Don't know how much of an institution these were, as I only started going in 2008, but for about the first 5 years i went it was my regular end to the festival.

i do miss Mundo Jazz..('Quincy', 'Scally Scally Scouse', 'Halal', 'Minge'...) they tried to offend everybody in equal measure but i assumed eventually offended the wrong person..

same schtick every year (and they did it every night not just sunday) but their banter with shit-faced punters was funny..