Top tips to a secure festival trolley..

EFC1996

This is only my third consecutive year going to Glastonbury. The previous years I've had a hideous experience with my festival trolley. Last year the mud was partly to blame though :lol:

So what are your top tips to keeping your festival trolley secure and stable? 

don't overload , shrink wrap ... bungys seem to work their way loose ... big wheels , good ground clearance , puncture repair kit and hand pump if tyres inflate ... reinforce weak points ... many destroyed / abandoned on the trek from carparks 

Edited by crazyfool1

Here's a question - I've got one of those four wheeled green mesh trolleys, which is generally fab, but I got a puncture in one wheel at End of the Road last year.  I've seen replacement wheels online that are identical to those on the trolley already, but these are solid rubber rather than pneumatic (but otherwise identical).  Obviously no more punctures with the solid wheels, but are there any other downsides I should be thinking about?

3 minutes ago, BluePaul said:

Here's a question - I've got one of those four wheeled green mesh trolleys, which is generally fab, but I got a puncture in one wheel at End of the Road last year.  I've seen replacement wheels online that are identical to those on the trolley already, but these are solid rubber rather than pneumatic (but otherwise identical).  Obviously no more punctures with the solid wheels, but are there any other downsides I should be thinking about?

This is the type of trolley I'm looking for - can you remember where you got it? I've seen one online but it doesn't look like I'll fit a lot in it.

1 minute ago, EFC1996 said:

This is the type of trolley I'm looking for - can you remember where you got it? I've seen one online but it doesn't look like I'll fit a lot in it.

Amazon, as per usual - it's saying not available but I'm sure there will be alternative suppliers...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004ZKAJNY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Used one of these for about the last 7 years and has always served me well, until it died last year due to a combination of thick mud and stupidly overloading it.

just bought another one off ebay for £47 delivered.

In the tent I drop the sides down and use it like a little table.

s-b275x275.jpg

19 minutes ago, mazola said:

Used one of these for about the last 7 years and has always served me well, until it died last year due to a combination of thick mud and stupidly overloading it.

just bought another one off ebay for £47 delivered.

In the tent I drop the sides down and use it like a little table.

s-b275x275.jpg

Great idea using as a table. I'll have a look on eBay now. Do you have a link? 

this is the one i got http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322449914785

I feel like I need to add some kind of disclaimer, I've only just ordered it, it's supposed to be arriving by Thursday.

I don't want to be sued if you order it as well and it turns out to be a miniature replica, or a photo of it or something :lol:

It's was just the cheapest one I found!

7 minutes ago, mazola said:

this is the one i got http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322449914785

I feel like I need to add some kind of disclaimer, I've only just ordered it, it's supposed to be arriving by Thursday.

I don't want to be sued if you order it as well and it turns out to be a miniature replica, or a photo of it or something :lol:

It's was just the cheapest one I found!

I hope it fits in the boot of my corsa :unsure:

Pallet stretch wrap (industrial strength cling film) - the stuff you use to fasten things to pallets, I acquired a couple of part rolls from work. great stuff and will protect your gear from the rain too..

get the rolls with the extended tube that sticks out the ends as it makes it easier  to wrap things up.

Those green trolleys are great so long as the tires are pumped up properly and you don't overload them (otherwise the axles bend or the bearings fall out of the wheels). The one we had at work was rated for 120Kg and only broke when we tried to move some old servers that when we checked came in at 160Kg.

You can get replacement wheels from ebay for about £6. While your at it the clips that hold the sides on are easy to loose so tie some string to them and then to the frame so if the fall out they don't disappear into the mud.

Edited by Penrhos

A quick point to make about load capacity. When manufacturers test their products to decide what maximum capacity they can advertise, I'm quite sure they do so on nice smooth warehouse floors. The metal trackways, stony paths and open fields of Glasto are a far cry from this, so you need to bear that in mind. If you buy a trolley that is advertised for up to 200kg, for example, and you put 180kg on it, the bumps will increase the load on the axles way above 200kg every time you hit one. I'd suggest limiting the amount you put on a trolley to about half the advertised capacity.

An important factor is the size of the wheels and the clearance they give from the ground.  Generally speaking the bigger the wheels, the better.  These trolleys with wheels like suitcases are the ones you see destroyed in the car parks that didn't even make it to the gate.

Another thing is split pins/end caps that hold the wheels in place.  If possible I'd recommend some additional effort in securing these (a dab or two of hot melt glue before popping on end caps, for example) as this is another common cause of trolley failure from what I can make out.

As for securing, I've used bungees in the past but now I'm firmly in the gaffer tape camp.  Not going to deny that pallet wrap is the luxury solution, but a roll of gaffer tape does a cracking job.

Just now, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Gee, pallet wrap seems awful environmentally unfriendly mister

Yeah.  I have to admit even gaffer tape has me balking a bit at the waste but in the past a single roll has lasted me more than 1 festival.  It is the waste aspect that I disagree with most about pallet wrap but I can understand why people chose it when you see how effective it is for securing any load.

4 hours ago, BluePaul said:

Yep, I bought solid rubber wheels when I got a puncture, worked fine.

Bungees, gaffer tape and a multi-tool in case any parts come loose.