So where do people think is best for camping...

O'Doyle Rules

16 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

it gets muddy everywhere if it rains. It's fields with lots of people walking through it. 

Paines was pretty muddy last year. 

The ground under my tent was very squashy, which was an odd experience.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

Depends on if you like whose on the Pyramid or not.

Now the set times are up I can see where I'll be spending most of my time and choose the site to camp accordingly, I've always camped the other side of the site, usually come by car so have been early but arriving by coach this time. 

Does anyone know how busy Park Home is wednesday afternoon? Can a group of 4/5 tents find room together?

I don't know - but I've been told it's busy. I have one big tent and the advice I got for Park Home (off here) was to get there early. 

Always camped in Hitchin Hill.

• There is no foot fall, so it's quiet for when you get back to your tent at night.
  • It never floods.
  • The security seems good up there being next to the family camping and the house.
  • There are toilets close by.
  • It's not too far from the Pyramid.

The only negative is it is at the top of the 'hill of death', which can be a killer when you are off your face.

15 hours ago, Calvin Klein said:

I camped at Bushy last year. If you do not like Silver Hayes (like me) it's one of the worst places to stay. You have to go through Silver Hayes almost every time and if it's muddy like last year you will hate it. 
It is quiet though, so that's good. But I will not be coming back there.

Obviously if you do spend quite some time at SH, it must be great.

I spend no time in SH. But then I wouldn't say I spend enough time in any area to warrant putting my tent there. For me the importance is sleep - so quiet is good, how close it is for me to dump my stuff and how close it is to get back to the car / coach afterwards! But it's all personal, of course there is no best place to camp. There is only the place where you think is the best place :) 

So we have just had the 'wehere to camp' discussion in our whatsapp group, and I think we have agreed on Park home, which i think makes sense.

My question - coming from gate A, what is the quickest route to get there? Through Silver hayes?

17 minutes ago, eastynh said:

What are Pylon and Darble like in regards to mud and stench etc??

Stench?

The mud is no worse than anywhere else on site. They're both near the top of a slope (you can't call it a hill) so you're not going to get a lot of run off through the fields. They're also some of the more quiet fields, so less footfall churning up the ground.

On 01/06/2017 at 7:02 PM, guitarbhoy1888 said:

Any recommendations for where to camp? 

First timers. Me and the dad, he's over 50 so no party areas, he wants some sleep. 

Will most likely be entering from gate A I'm sure, coming from the north west (Glasgow). 

Was looking at michaels mead or hawkwell, but again. No idea! 

Help appreciated 

Edited by bunfight

6 minutes ago, musky said:

Stench?

The mud is no worse than anywhere else on site. They're both near the top of a slope (you can't call it a hill) so you're not going to get a lot of run off through the fields. They're also some of the more quiet fields, so less footfall churning up the ground.

I think I am going to hit one of those fields then mate, I don't mind a trek back from swc late at night. They look quite convenient from where I will be parked.

On 01/06/2017 at 7:02 PM, guitarbhoy1888 said:

Any recommendations for where to camp? 

First timers. Me and the dad, he's over 50 so no party areas, he wants some sleep. 

Will most likely be entering from gate A I'm sure, coming from the north west (Glasgow). 

Was looking at michaels mead or hawkwell, but again. No idea! 

Help appreciated 

I would head due south, through pylon, to South Park/Baileys. Good atmosphere, plenty of kip to be had and a ten minute walk to the Park which is always a good place to start your day. Take it from a fellow half centurion, your old man will love it there.

10 hours ago, mjsell said:

So we have just had the 'wehere to camp' discussion in our whatsapp group, and I think we have agreed on Park home, which i think makes sense.

My question - coming from gate A, what is the quickest route to get there? Through Silver hayes?

Park home is where ill be hoping for. 

Been there 4 of last 5 times there.  Good spot for most places. 

Space been cut back due to Acadia moving nearby in recent years,  

Normally quite full by 2pm on the weds 

Yep cut through silver Hayes then across oxylers by the other stage and just over the railway line. 

54 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I think I am going to hit one of those fields then mate, I don't mind a trek back from swc late at night. They look quite convenient from where I will be parked.

If it's going to be a muddy one (which of course it isn't) there's a strong case for the north part of Darble. Although neither Darble nor Pylon are especially bad for mud the bit between Silver Hayes and Baileys is. That's compounded by the fact the land there slopes off down towards the Whitelake, and because of the access road down the east side of Darble and Pylon you're forced this way if you if coming or going south.  In muddy conditions you always see people treading very cautiously to and from the bridge.

By camping near the top of Darble you give yourself the option of heading north and coming down past the JP and the Wood. Not that it makes any difference because it's going to be bone dry anyway. :)

I find the best place for going around camping is in the bathroom of one's own home. With your foot against the door, just to be on the safe side. Does rather ruin one's ambition of ever walking down a cat walk, even if it is only an imaginary one. I find my three second dashes away from the door to the toilet and back again, quite exhilarating though. And lets face it, bathroom lino can be so so forgiving.

That NME link says for Cockmill Meadow:

"You have to think about how to get here – the eastern car parks (purple) are mostly unobtainable for most regular ticket holders, meaning that you'll need to find a more convenient entrance."

Don't think I've ever parked there before - is it that difficult to get a park there? Planning on arriving early doors Wednesday.

10 minutes ago, TedHandy said:

What time do Oxlyers & Big Ground generally fill up by on the Wednesday? 

Camped in Oxylers both times and in 2015 we got delayed for 6 hours in the 'Drop off point' queue which meant we didn't get onto site until around 1pm. Just about managed to squeeze 9 of us into a spot at the back there so you should be good if you're before 12pm.