Explosion at the M.E.N

H.M.V

This is really sad news. We dont know who did this but we can probably all take a pretty good guess that itll be some brainwashed religious moron idealising a belief system to justify their psychopathic ways. 

A lot of people say ita not the time and place to talk of politics but its probably the best time. No doubt the ramifications of this could be huge, Labour looked like they were actually closing the gap and I actually had hopes that they could pull it off but I fear that like most terrorist attacks it will make people shift to more right leaning, even if temporarily and that will shift the balance for a unanimous Tory victory more in theor favour. 

I dunno what the solution to this who drawn out saga is, a petty religious war thats been taking place for hundreds if not thousands of years. Humans can seem to get over the backdated need to rely on religious ideologies and whilst no doubt it has its upsides, its bad qualities are just as much on the surface. 

Our politcal pillaging for resources in the Middle East certainly doesnt help and until we stop that I dont see the situation improving, itll probably get worse if anything and unfortunatly I dont see our governments viewpoints changing. They generally use these tragedys as an excuse to go raiding more whilst people are emotionally reeling and are easier to talk on side. 

Ill be interested to see how both May and Corbyn handle this is the wake of the election. Theres gonna be some serious questions on immigration again if it does turn out to be a religious nut preaching Islam again. 

Whatever your viewpoint is on immigration you have to agree its become a hige dividing point in this country and a one that seems to have a large effect on the outcome of elections. People were quick to condemn those tweets of people earlier and Im in no way condoning them but they do give an insight into the mindset of a lot of people going into this election and thats sonething that cant be ignored. Corbyn needs to take note and really think about how he needs to address this as his whole campaign could now hinge on it. 

In tragedys such as these its hard to find words that express your, people dead, other lives ruined forever, many who werent physically effected will likely be psychologically disturbed for a long time. Its all very depressing. 

RIP

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets not let these BASTARDS win! Lets go to more concerts! More festivals! More events! and hold our heads high! Best thing I have seen reported on the news is a 9 yo girl saying I wont be scared to go to more concerts after being there last night! Good on you! 

Absolutely terrible news, devastating. Unfortunately, it's brought the alt-right scumbags out in force on social media, spewing their racist bile (looks like a co-ordinated effort as they're from all over the world). However, the absolute best response was from a Sikh taxi driver interviewed on C4 news who said "We're Manchester, we're glue and we stick together when it counts". Amen brother. I hope we can extend that to say us Britons are glue and we stick together when it counts, showing love, care and compassion to the people affected by tragedy and bringing those responsible to justice, not using it as an excuse to turn on our Muslim friends and neighbours.

I have a friend from manc I contacted to make sure her and her family/friends were all ok.....as she said `we wont let this stop us doing anything, Manchester survived the ira itll survive this`......if the terrorists wanted to scare people and prevent them going about their lives Manchester people arent the ones they should have chosen.

Edited by waterfalls212434

Absolutely gutting. Never seen the city this quiet, this tense.

Left the pub last night just before half 10 and heard the blast but you never think anything of it here. There are pops and bangs nightly.

Woke this morning to the full horror. Teenagers, man. Pop is one of the few areas of mainstream culture currently reinforcing & supporting young girls on their own terms. To be punished while celebrating that is just so heartbreaking. 

"There are still some Jihadi Johnny's out there who think that they will eventually triumph because their love of death is greater than our love of life. So let me just say this to them: do you have any idea who you are dealing with? This is the country that stood up, alone, to the might of the Luftwaffe, air-force of the greatest evil mankind as ever known. If you think we are now going to be cowed by some pathetic Poundland terrorist in an estate car with a knife, then you are as delusional as you are malevolent. Yes, you have the power to hurt us. Sometimes the hurt is more than we can bare, but you cannot defeat us. Because for every brainwashed, braindead Islamist you send to do us harm, we have thousands upon thousands of Keith Palmers. You find them in every walk of life, in every part of the land they come in all shapes, all sizes, all colours, all faiths. They are the British people. And against them, you will never prevail."  

Andrew Neil - March 22nd 2017.

* I realise that this attack hasn't yet been claimed by an extremist Islamist organisation, but as a passionate call for solidarity, it's exactly what I needed to hear this morning. 

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

A friend of mine's brother was last seen trying to get a drink last night. Not been seen since, hopefully he's just lost and without phone battery. Feel sick just thinking about how his family must be feeling.

Fingers crossed Stu, I'm sure he's OK. 

I was in Manchester last night watching the very talented Luke Sital-Singh, heard the commotion of emergency vehicles but was on the other side of town. At the time everything was wild speculation it wasn't until I was on the train home that everything was unfolding. Some of my sons classmates were there (thankfully they are okay) but it's really shook him up. My heart goes out to everyone who has been affected. Manchester is an extremely resilient city and will not be changed or indeed broken by mindless acts of terrorism. We must lead by example for our young ones and not show fear, continue living our lives as normal.

30 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

A friend of mine's brother was last seen trying to get a drink last night. Not been seen since, hopefully he's just lost and without phone battery. Feel sick just thinking about how his family must be feeling.

Hope you get news soon old son 

This is a terrible thing that has happened but can we not turn it into a political debate about us and the stuff that has happened In the east.. That's bad OK but these people don't care about that all they want is to drive us apart and cause panic and bring terror to the world... Even in there own country and there own people. 

Also please let's remember that those that follow that same religion are peaceful peace loving friendly people.. So let's remember that... 

Plus before people start.. So far religion hasn't been mentioned.. But it's going to be.. 

RIP to those involved and let's get on so these horrible c..t 's don't win.. 

I can't get my head around how someone could do something like this. Whatever the motivation, to walk into a crowd of young people and families with a bomb is so sick, twisted and evil. I just can't comprehend it.

Seeing all the pictures of missing kids being retweeted on twitter is heartbreaking.

Awful.

Not gonna lie, I'm terrible at expressing my emotions, and I try to keep my emotions out of it when it comes to things like this, partly because that's what the baddies want. But this has had a profound effect on me, I have a niece and nephew of the age of those who would have been at that gig.

I thought listening to James O'Brien on LBC would help me process what happened, as he's usually very literally and balanced with stuff like this but it was even he sounds like he's in bits and the stories people are phoning in with are just harrowing.

It's going to be a tough day at work today...

Edited by mattiosmith

3 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

Katie Hopkins calling for a 'final solution'.

Can't we deport her?

That women is an utter utter disgrace, she's a stain on the psyche of our nation.

Her politics are bad enough, but the fact that any time a terrorist atrocity occurs she see the opportunity for publicity and tweets the most outrageous shit she can is just despicable.

I honestly believe she should be deported.

Edited by Junglist1981

1 minute ago, Quark said:

I'd feel guilty for inflicting her on wherever we'd deport her to. Did anyone truly expect anything else from her?

Isn't there a mission to Mars being planned? She's a prime candidate for someone to test the journey. No 4G signal in space too so no more tweets.

So far I've not seen anyone claiming responsibility. I think there should be a media blackout when it comes to naming names in situations like this. If the terrorists message isn't being spread then they don't have a message. Concentrate on the victims and families not the attackers.

2 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

That women is an utter utter disgrace, she's a stain on the psyche of our nation.

Her politics are bad enough, but the fact that any time a terrorist atrocity occurs she see the opportunity for publicity and tweets the most outrageous shit she can is just despicable.

I honestly believe she should be deported.

The same thing should happen to Katie Hopkins as should happen to Paul Golding, Anjem Choudhary, Abu Hamza and all the other mouthpieces that are flipsides of the same shitty coin.

They should be given the space to come out with their views as we treasure freedom of speech, whether you agree with the message or not.

But those views should then be held up, critically examined in the public eye, have their fundamental flaws, contradicting points and weak arguments exposed, and the whole thing ridiculed for the half baked extremist claptrap that it is.

And the most important thing is that this ridicule should be given the same high-profile media platform that they use.  Her appearances on whatever TV show she manages to get on should include her trying to argue her case against a rational, critical counter-point so that we can watch her straw man arguments get pulled apart piece by piece on national tv.

The papers and media that scream outrage, quite rightly, at mouthpieces of terror should do the same to those that don't have the media platform that Hopkins gets.  Tear their arguments down piece by piece.  It's an ideological battle, and you can't drown out an idea by screaming at it.

Again, as should happen with all of them.

9 hours ago, Sidasta said:

We were at a concert at the Ritz not too far from the Arena. Pretty scary. We have another concert tomorrow night at the Albert Hall...

Mew?  Me too, had such a nice time and didn't have a clue what had gone on until this morning, absolutely devastated by whats happened in our city :(  

@Lucy92 and @stuartbert two hats have you guys heard anything yet? xx

Really really heartbreaking stuff. What the fuck are they trying to achieve?! 

Interested to find out who the bomber was, his connections etc. 

As for Katie Hopkins, why do people keep speaking about her? Mentioned a load of times now. Ignore her. The loony right thrives off being abused. Proves its working!