Explosion at the M.E.N

H.M.V

Looks like what I put has touched a nerve, so apologies all round, that wasn't wholly my intention and I was playing devils advocate to a degree. This was close to home, partners son and boyfriend were at the gig and my daughter was very close to the attacks in Paris that night so I find myself having to deal with those emotions again and again.

I'm as upset as anyone about this and really angry, the more I hear about this scumbag being well known the angrier I get. I know that folk are trying to make themselves feel better and putting things on SM helps them I suppose. 

The fundraising is great and I've also contributed, I don't shout about it, the point about that was a general one about how easy it is to do that and hope it doesn't happen again rather than tackle the root cause.

What folk really should be doing instead of putting up icons or holding vigils is getting bloody well organised and demanding that the great and good tackle this problem head on. Demand that our politicians take action, give the security services the resources and clearance to do whatever it takes to root out these terrorists, and anyone shielding them, and eradicating the problem. That also means us not getting involved in foreign conflicts unless we are directly threatened or there is a pressing humanitarian need such as in the Balkans.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, zico martin said:

I'm sure we all give a fuck but I don't feel the need to tell all my 'Facebook' friends that I do or that I've given money to the families. 

Hello zico,

I have a Facebook account but don't access it a lot. From what I can gather, people on there tell each other anything and everything, almost up to the point of informing people of when they have passed wind. OK, that's an exaggeration, but you know where I'm coming from. 

I don't suppose that it's any different to being on this site really though. We are discussing it here, when we don't actually have to.

Its been such a mixed week of emotions. Mrs works for the transport police based next to the MEN and had officers at the event who are obviously in a bad way behind the scenes

The Vigil in the city center was so uplifting,  I traveled to Stockholm yesterday for the game, the emotion of people inside the ground before kick off was felt, you could see it in peoples faces.

The unity of people not just from Manchester but the whole country has been nothing short of incredible in such horrific circumstances.

12 minutes ago, Waapster said:

This is a beautiful and moving piece which reminded me of @H.M.V's "look for the helpers" maxim.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/24/i-still-feel-raw-nurse-tells-of-treating-manchester-bombing-victims

A terrible thing happened, and there’s no explanation for it. But I don’t want to think about who did it. I want to focus on the good I saw and was part of on Monday night. We should focus on the love and warmth people displayed after the bomb, and on those who helped those affected, like the homeless guys who gave people directions after the bomb, and not on those who do things like this.

Reading articles like that make me realise how many awesome people there are in the world.

10 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

Not if you read the comments section after the article it doesn't.

1 hour ago, Losing my hair said:

Didn't get that far until you pointed it out, clearly the Katie Hopkins keyboard warriors fan club is alive and well. I will try and remain optimistic.

Good man. I will do the same.

As an aside, I did read a Katie Hopkins article once. Never again will I waste my limited time on this planet repeating the process. 

On 25/05/2017 at 1:22 PM, Quark said:

Sorry to hear that jdizzle, condolences to you and his family x

Thank you! There has been some  amazing tributes paid in the area still can't get over the whole thing! X

A week on and I'm still sat here bawling my eyes out about what happened. It's just so devastating. Evil can't win, and I'm trying to comprehend why those innocent people lost their lives but there is no answer. I felt very similar after what happened at the Bataclan because I knew someone there as well so it felt really real like this and because it's something I do all the time attend gigs, they're my escape and im so so angry that people target what's supposed to be safe places. I'm just so upset and angry at the world and needs a rant about how catastrophically evil these people are. 

2 minutes ago, Lucy92 said:

She may feel it's part of her mental recovery to go back and face the situation head on. She must be so devastated at what happened. I just hope she's ready to do this so soon 

yeah, maybe - but whatever, easier options were available to her and she's not taken them.

Putting on an even bigger show in Manc is the biggest up-yours she could possibly give to what happened, and I've only got admiration for her for that.