Explosion at the M.E.N

H.M.V

46 minutes ago, OBface said:

Why would sitting in a gay bar be tricky to survive? Have I missed something?

Pretty sure these Death to the West characters aren't huge fans of homosexuality (presumably as it involves people innocently enjoying themselves)/gay bars have been targets for general nutters before (wasn't that one that got nailbombed in Manchester?).

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Homer said:

Pretty sure these Death to the West characters aren't huge fans of homosexuality (presumably as it involves people innocently enjoying themselves)/gay bars have been targets for general nutters before (wasn't that one that got nailbombed in Manchester?).

The Admiral Duncan?  That's in Soho and was nail bombed by a neo Nazi.

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The Admiral Duncan?  That's in Soho and was nail bombed by a neo Nazi.

Yeah, remembered he was a more 'general nutter' but couldn't recall where. I personally recommend Retro Bar off The Strand. Cracking indie jukebox/vibe.

I still can't get my head around what's happened. Those were innocent people at that gig who just wanted to go and have a good night out. Like we all have done. I guess the reason I can't get my head around it is because what they did was evil and there is no understanding it. Only sharing love where you can and remembering to live every day to the fullest. Such a sad sad time. 

4 minutes ago, Lucy92 said:

I still can't get my head around what's happened. Those were innocent people at that gig who just wanted to go and have a good night out. Like we all have done. I guess the reason I can't get my head around it is because what they did was evil and there is no understanding it. Only sharing love where you can and remembering to live every day to the fullest. Such a sad sad time. 

Yeah, there's no real logical answer to this one is there? That's the big issue. Sadly, this one seems like it will just run and run.

I think a lot of it stems from that illegal second Gulf War we participated in. I'd feel a bit bad now if I was Tony Blair. Sadly I suspect he doesn't have it in him to feel like he has made any kind of mistake. Too important for all that.

Edited by Homer

1 minute ago, Lucy92 said:

So sorry about your news Lucy92 and @stuartbert two hats.  You're right, we have to answer hate with love.

xx

Just now, Homer said:

Yeah, there's no real logical answer to this one is there? That's the big issue. Sadly, this one seems like it will just run and run.

I think a lot of it stems from that illegal second Gulf War we participated in. I'd feel a but bad now if I was Tony Blair. Sadly I suspect he doesn't have it in him to feel like he has made any kind of mistake. Too important for all that.

Evil people will always find an excuse to do evil things. There is no blame but them. 

it's all becoming a bit familliar isn't it?

atrocity happens

political, civil and religious leaders come out with the same platitiudes

vigil, candles, flowers, notes

change of facebook status, a filter on a photo and a hashtag

"this will not change our way of life"

photos of the deceased

reports of increased anti muslim incedents

black armbands at sporting events

plus ca change

6 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

it's all becoming a bit familliar isn't it?

atrocity happens

political, civil and religious leaders come out with the same platitiudes

vigil, candles, flowers, notes

change of facebook status, a filter on a photo and a hashtag

"this will not change our way of life"

photos of the deceased

reports of increased anti muslim incedents

black armbands at sporting events

plus ca change

I long for a day where this is no longer a pattern of events 

8 hours ago, Sidasta said:

Bit late to the game here but yeah, was Mew - it was a great gig, got right to the front much to my fanboy delight.  Wasn't until I was home when we saw the news, and then stayed up for the entire night watching the news as we couldn't sleep.

We went out last night (the night after Mew) to the vigil and then Broken Social Scene at Albert Hall, which was an incredibly emotional concert, brought tears to pretty much everyone's eyes, especially during a bit of therapy instigated by the lead singer where he asked everyone in the audience to scream all of their frustration, sadness, and anger out on the count of three.  It was deafening, and it sounds pretty cheesy, but it was so moving.

So glad none of the concerts in Manchester last night were cancelled. Was such a strong sense of community, solidarity, and all the other things that make me love this city so much. I've only lived here for a year but I feel so much closer to the city than I did when I lived in London for nine years.

I was at that BSS gig last night too. It was so emotional. Loved that Johnny Marr chose to join them too. 

The thing I don't understand is how the police have identified and arrested 5 people that may be linked to this in such a short space of time. That tells me that these people were on some sort of intelligence list already. There needs to be a change here and rather than watching these people just fuck them in jail at any hint of extremist behaviour.

Just now, Dave_c said:

The thing I don't understand is how the police have identified and arrested 5 people that may be linked to this in such a short space of time. That tells me that these people were on some sort of intelligence list already. There needs to be a change here and rather than watching these people just fuck them in jail at any hint of extremist behaviour.

I think they are relatives?

3 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

he was known to the authorities, but you can't put people in jail until they've committed a crime.  and even if you could, how long would you put them away for?

3 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

he was known to the authorities, but you can't put people in jail until they've committed a crime.  and even if you could, how long would you put them away for?

Honestly don't know but there is a recurring theme of these people already being known to the police. There must be something more that can be done.

1 minute ago, Dave_c said:

Honestly don't know but there is a recurring theme of these people already being known to the police. There must be something more that can be done.

it's a natural reaction in the aftermath of this kind of thing, but the authorities in this country already have some of the the world's most far reaching (some would say too far reaching) laws to monitor people.  they apparently stop many acts way before they come to fruition, and we never hear about it.  you cannot stop every one though, sadly.  and there's always got be a boundary between peoples' liberties and the powers of the state.  in recent times this boundary has been pushed further and further in the name of fighting terrorism.

4 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

We tried internment in Northern Ireland, utter disaster and perfect recruiting tool for the terrorists.

20 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

Hello Dave_c

I know where you are coming from, but our society as it is, will be more fucked if we go down the road of internment. We would then be no better than tin pot military junta controlled countries. This is my first post on this subject and I'm as angry at what's happened as the next person, but just couldn't agree to the idea of throwing everybody in jail for the merest hint of extremist behaviour. If we go down that path, we'll end up with a state like the Stasi controlled East Germany used to be. I don't think those who laid down their own lives to fight fascism in both world wars would thank us for that. We'd be pissing on their graves if we did. I don't know what the solution is, but do know that democracy has to be maintained within that solution.

1 hour ago, Homer said:

I get you - knew I'd be missing something!

For a moment I thought you were suggesting as a straight man (assumption) sitting in a gay bar was somehow tricky. Obviously not, apologies.

Edited by OBface

This is the first time one of these things has come close to home.

One of my best mate's 10-year-old daughter was there with her friend, and her friend's parents. They were safe, but as you can imagine pretty traumatised. My mate spent yesterday bleaching other people's blood off her trainers.

Then the wife of said same mate, her sister was good friends with the Polish couple who were killed.

And then a mate who is a teacher in Manchester has a girl in his class who is not likely to make it.

Absolutely horrendous stuff.

Its quite hard one would imagine to investigate and detain people who are willing to die. Which makes it a completely different kettle of fish to dealing with previous terror attacks like ones carried out by the likes of the IRA and ETA

13 minutes ago, OBface said:

I get you - knew I'd be missing something!

For a moment I thought you were suggesting as a straight man (assumption) sitting in a gay bar was somehow tricky. Obviously not, apologies.

Not required,I was a bit unclear!

(I think sometimes drinks in gay bars/goes to Glasto/ posts on eFests is a pretty strong venn diagram for 'not homophobic'!)

5 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Its quite hard one would imagine to investigate and detain people who are willing to die. Which makes it a completely different kettle of fish to dealing with previous terror attacks like ones carried out by the likes of the IRA and ETA

This. We are dealing with evil evil people who aren't afraid of death. Its a horrendous enemy