Explosion at the M.E.N

H.M.V

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I normally feel quite detached from these things, not to sound too callous, but with it all over the news and usually being so far away I find it hard to relate to the panic/pain at certain times. But this one seems to have a bit more of a sting than usual :(

4 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Because that's what they always do- take out the anger accumulated over their miserable lives on people they've dehumanised via ideology or bigotry to give themselves permission to act out their killing lust while deluding themselves that it's actually righteous and the victims fault- same with most killers. 

This. 

As I walk through
This wicked world
Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.
I ask myself
Is all hope lost?
Is there only pain and hatred, and misery?
And each time I feel like this inside,
There's one thing I want to know:
What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding? Ohhhh
What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding?
And as I walked on
Through troubled times
My spirit gets so downhearted sometimes
So where are the strong
And who are the trusted?
And where is the harmony?
Sweet harmony.
'Cause each time I feel it slippin' away, just makes me want to cry.
What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding? Ohhhh
What's so funny 'bout peace love & understanding?

Peace and love Manchester, peace and love.

2 hours ago, MilkyJoe said:

No upvotes for this but your older cousin is a diamond. Well done to her in what must be a very traumatic time.

Lots of people are very proud of her this morning. She managed to call her mum as she left the arena, explaining there had been a bomb and ask her to ring little cousins mum and explain they were safe then kept her phone free so others could use it. 

I was well aware of the threat, particularly up north and tend to be extra vigilant when in Manchester or Leeds. However, knowing exactly the spot where it happened and having family at the venue has just hit hard. It just seems all the more real and close to home. 

Just awful for the poor families of the victims

Cannot fathom the rot in someone's soul to carry out an attack like that. We were staying right beside the arena on Saturday so this cuts close to home. 

I'm choosing to focus on the people of Manchester who were offering to drive great distances and their homes to make people safe. Look for the helpers. 

Just trying to get to work, traffic is horrendous. Im not sure what time Ill make it. The bus has not moved in 20 mins

Off to see Stewart Lee tonight. The atmosphere will be very odd. 

You never think something like this happens on your own front door. Been to the arena a hell of lot, seeing the scenes of last night is awful.

Much love to all.

^everything already said and more. We will never understand why, it's barbaric, cowardly, evil and my thoughts are with everyone involved, including emergency services who can't unsee what they've had to see.

I have just got into my work in Manchester  centre and feeling a bit lost for words right now. As others have said it feels that much more real when it's on your front door step.

28 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

It sometimes hard to believe this is the world we now live in. 

sadly, it's the same world as it was yesterday and the day before, and a decade ago, and decades and decades before that. Bombs have killed many in Manchester before - for totally different reasons to the (probable) reasons of now - and it's probably the case that they will again.

It's a terrible thing but the world goes on. All we can do is try and make a better world.

It's absolutely heartbreaking news to wake up to. I can't believe that someone would target an event full of children and teenagers. It makes me so angry. Those poor people. Nobody should go to a gig and not come home again.

I had a message from my Mum this morning saying she is now really worried about me and my husband going to Glastonbury. I told her the thought hadn't even crossed my mind, and that we can't stop going about our lives because of these things. They will not win.

I fell asleep last night as BBC were referencing reports of a balloon or a blown speaker. I cannot believe it. I am so angry. How much of a twisted degenerate do you have to be to do something as fucking ghastly as this? Stay safe everyone. 

Edited by JSmurphy

my wife and 2 sisters in law were going to Take That at manchester arena on Thursday coming up (I imagine that it will be cancelled) to think if it were just 3 days later that 3 members of my immediate family could have been directly affected is harrowing.

one of the sisters in law works in the music industry and lives only 10 mins walk from victoria station. far too close to home :(

I would imagine Parklife festival will have to have a complete rethink on security now.

Edited by Memory Man

Gutted. We festival and gig goers know there's no greater unity than when we're all together in that moment enjoying our favourite artists. 

It is our love and unity they attack but it's what makes us stronger than them. Big love to you u all this sad day. 

Going to make a Madchester playlist as my own little tribute to that fine city.