Making your tent as comfy as possible.

Smashers

1 hour ago, Theodore said:

I have a few rolltop dry stuffsacks , available from camping stores or sports soccer etc. Means I can keep my clothes dry in the dampest of conditions. Space blanket people does the 'highly flammable' label on the space blankets concern you? I bought a few to take this year but have doubts ! 

I can safely say I've used them for 4-5 festivals and never seen a fire safety/highly flammable thing on them :S

If they are all flammable and I've been blissfully unaware then I've never had issues smoking nearby or being near fire but at the time same I've never had a fire directly next to my tent because at the very least the tent is flammable. My advice would be to be as cautious as you would be with your tent and fire, no more no less.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2017-5-22 at 11:51 AM, Smashers said:

The past two years I've roughed it in a big way at Glastonbury, so this year I'm hoping to make things a bit comfier/better with the following 10 ideas that I've seen on eFests over the years. 

Comment if you have other ideas for making the camping experience a bit better/easier/comfier. 

1. Plastic shoe-rack (the kind you hang on the back of a door) clipped with clamps to the pocket on the inside of the tent for storage of small things like keys, toiletries, drinks, sunglasses etc. (Saving you time trying to find stuff in your tent).

I like the sound of this. What type pocket do you clip it to? 

18 hours ago, popcornmaster said:

I can safely say I've used them for 4-5 festivals and never seen a fire safety/highly flammable thing on them :S

If they are all flammable and I've been blissfully unaware then I've never had issues smoking nearby or being near fire but at the time same I've never had a fire directly next to my tent because at the very least the tent is flammable. My advice would be to be as cautious as you would be with your tent and fire, no more no less.

Cheers popcornmaster ! Fully ready for that coolness in the mornings ! 

On 5/23/2017 at 0:49 PM, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

I read this every year. I'm not sure what is wrong with people that they cannot make it to the toilets. Do you guys keep a bucket next to your beds at home ? I've been going for years and camped all over the site and never been more than a 5 minute stroll from the nearest toilet.

I often fall asleep / pass out fully clothed with boots still on, and still wouldn't be bothered going to the toilets to have a piss at an unearthly hour of the morning. I just don't see the point when I can slash in to a lenor bottle and take that to empty at the toilets later on. It doesn't matter if it's not muddy either. I guess I must be lazy.

PS - Thanks for the tip about the bucket next to your bed. I don't  know why I didn't think of that myself. That's a joke by the way.

PPS - I had an uncle (dead now) who actually used to have a 10L empty paint tin next to his bed, which he would piss in to. Not only that but he would wait until it was full up before emptying it. This savage activity continued until his piss corroded the bottom of the metal tin, and formed very tiny weep holes. His metal paint tin was eventually taken off him when it was found that it was leaking piss not just in his room, but also on the flight path from his room to the toilet when he was emptying the tin.

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I often fall asleep / pass out fully clothed with boots still on, and still wouldn't be bothered going to the toilets to have a piss at an unearthly hour of the morning. I just don't see the point when I can slash in to a lenor bottle and take that to empty at the toilets later on. It doesn't matter if it's not muddy either. I guess I must be lazy.

PS - Thanks for the tip about the bucket next to your bed. I don't  know why I didn't think of that myself. That's a joke by the way.

PPS - I had an uncle (dead now) who actually used to have a 10L empty paint tin next to his bed, which he would piss in to. Not only that but he would wait until it was full up before emptying it. This savage activity continued until his piss corroded the bottom of the metal tin, and formed very tiny weep holes. His metal paint tin was eventually taken off him when it was found that it was leaking piss not just in his room, but also on the flight path from his room to the toilet when he was emptying the tin.

fucks sake...that pps...monstrous...

Edited by fewcloudy

Packing a couple of coat hangers is a good idea to hang your jacket/jeans from the roof of the tent, especially if it's a wet one. Drys out much better than leaving them on the floor. Alternatively pack a couple of S hooks which do a similar job.

1 hour ago, fewcloudy said:

fucks sake...that pps...monstrous...

It is, I agree. In his defence, I will say that he wasn't exactly the full shilling. All this happened decades ago, when I was a child. For many a decade after I just thought of him as our half wit uncle. Then one day I heard the truth about how he came to be the way he was. Apparently as a younger man he was a bit of a lothario. So much so, in fact, that he developed Syphilis. Unfortunately it never got treated, which, apparently, sent him a bit doo lally in the head.

2 hours ago, dougal1 said:

I recently took a super fluffy dressing gown to a festival (initially as fancy dress) Absolute game changer, i didn't take it off all weekend, cosiest rave/sleep ever :lol:

This! I took a dressing gown last year. Awesome!

3 hours ago, dougal1 said:

I recently took a super fluffy dressing gown to a festival (initially as fancy dress) Absolute game changer, i didn't take it off all weekend, cosiest rave/sleep ever :lol:

14 minutes ago, semmtexx said:

This! I took a dressing gown last year. Awesome!

On the years that Mr Ginger has been, he brings a dressing gown too! 

4 hours ago, hfuhruhurr said:

nightshirt - marvellous thing - covers all the naughty bits but gives them a good airing.

I've said that out loud, haven't I?

Nope. All in your head! 

6 hours ago, lucyginger said:

On the years that Mr Ginger has been, he brings a dressing gown too! 

It's a totally multipurpose item. Useful in the morning when you want to bimble in camp, useful in bed at night to keep warm, useful to wear on a night out. What's not to like?! :D

When I was at university I used to get out of bed just after noon, put on my dressing gown and slippers, and walk over to the pub that was directly over from my university accommodation unit. I'd walk in order a pint and look around, and there would be other people dotted around playing pool or sitting down chatting all in their dressing gowns too. It wasn't a case of aren't we all wacky, it was a case of just not being arsed to get dressed, knowing that we'd all just be going back to bed at about 2.40pm (as the pubs closed in them days at 2.30pm for a few hours). No wonder I didn't get a degree.

On 23/05/2017 at 0:49 PM, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

I read this every year. I'm not sure what is wrong with people that they cannot make it to the toilets. Do you guys keep a bucket next to your beds at home ? I've been going for years and camped all over the site and never been more than a 5 minute stroll from the nearest toilet.

I agree, Oblong.

I have no issues at home with the 5 minute stroll across my muddy landing in the dead of night, in all weathers, after having to get fully dressed first and don my wellies. The carpet strewn with the detritus of 1000s of people having partied just there hours earlier, before shitting into a hole onto a stalagmite of excrement. 

I really need to hoover. And get that en suite looked at.