Making your tent as comfy as possible.

Smashers

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, mattiosmith said:

I've bought like 50 space blankets, does it work that well?!

I've only ever used 2 at a time. I have a small tent and just put the blankets up on the South and Eastern sides.  But they certainly maintain coolness and low light for an extra couple of hours.

50, I imagine that it would be sub-zero in there. But the rustling would be a nightmare!

Just now, maelzoid said:

I've only ever used 2 at a time. I have a small tent and just put the blankets up on the South and Eastern sides.  But they certainly maintain coolness and low light for an extra couple of hours.

50, I imagine that it would be sub-zero in there. But the rustling would be a nightmare!

Haha! The 50 was for us to all share, and also to take for cold morinings walking back from SE corner, but I might put 3 or 4 up! :)

tent, excess clothes piled out of bag to make a makeshift pillow.......sorted

why bring all this extra shit? enough to carry as it is haha Only tip I do have is put cans under your tent at night and theyll be icey cold in the morning perfect for that breakfast cider :P

Edited by thatcrazypenguin

2 minutes ago, thatcrazypenguin said:

tent, excess clothes piled out of bag to make a makeshift pillow.......sorted

why bring all this extra shit? enough to carry as it is haha Only tip I do have is put cans under your tent at night and theyll be icey cold in the morning perfect for that breakfast cider :P

All that extra shit can be the make or break at the festival if weather is shit. Getting a decent nights kip makes all the difference. 

Just now, H.M.V said:

All that extra shit can be the make or break at the festival if weather is shit. Getting a decent nights kip makes all the difference. 

just bring some bin bags to put wet/muddy stuff in and your sorted, long as your tents a decent standard with no leaks etc your protected from the elements in there anyway. Should say I do the festival by public transport everytime so ive learnt to carry the maximum I can for one person and no more. Its all about making do, lightweight rollable travel mat (this kind is what I havehttps://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0018PX6PW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1)  is comfy and less bulky(goes so small it fits in my tent bag) then an airbed. no need for a pillow, just roll up unworn clothes, the one time I `tried` to make my tent a bit cooler during the day  the foil blankets I used to attach to it just made one hell of a lot of noise in the wind so I took them off to avoid pissing off everybody around me esp at night.

This is gonna sound poncey, but I've not used a sleeping bag for years, I put a fitted sheet and quilt on my air bed.

use one of those hoover/vacuum bags to take it there, shrinks down and can be packed nice and small.

so much nicer getting in to bed of a night than being all caught up in a sleeping bag. 

I'm taking a caravan for the first time ever...no tent for me...it's been a bit of a project, have fixed the water system so have running water after buying a new pump for it...2 new gas bottles donated to me aswell as a new gas regulator and pipe...thermocouple just been fitted to the fridge to see if that fixed the problem and it did so now we will  have ice in our drinks :) oven and hob works and so does the heating...I am amazed 

53 minutes ago, mazola said:

use one of those hoover/vacuum bags to take it there, shrinks down and can be packed nice and small.

i've been considering vacuum packing a duvet for a little bit of luxury this year, only problem is the issue of getting it home without being able to vacuum pack it again

1 minute ago, prestonmike said:

i've been considering vacuum packing a duvet for a little bit of luxury this year, only problem is the issue of getting it home without being able to vacuum pack it again

yeah, you need a decent trolley to get it all back, but it doesn't take up any more room than the beer does coming in. I just chuck it in a bin bag and strap it over the rest of the stuff.

It's definitely worth it, trust me.

2 minutes ago, mazola said:

yeah, you need a decent trolley to get it all back, but it doesn't take up any more room than the beer does coming in. I just chuck it in a bin bag and strap it over the rest of the stuff.

This all the way.  You can quite happily vacuum pack loads of stuff without worrying about bringing it back, because all your heavy consumables (i.e. booze) are gone.

I vacuum packed my pillow and clothes last year.  Saved me a bit of vital space.

My tent is one of those two bedroom tents, with a living room in between. I camp with a friend, and he has the other bedroom. I know it's a bit big, but it's the only tent I have. I bring with me an amazing rug that goes in the living room. This, with a couple of comfy chairs.  Makes morning coffee and a bedtime nightcap a very civilised occasion. I don't care at all if it's poncy - I am now old. 

28 minutes ago, prestonmike said:

For what it's worth, we travel by coach and still do it. We just deflate the vacuum bag as much as we can at the end of the festival by using the battery pump we bring for the airbed. It means carrying the pump but it's worth it for the convenience of keeping the airbed inflated, and being able to re-pack the duvet.

33 minutes ago, mazola said:

now there's an incentive to make sure all the beer gets drunk! think i'll have to buy a vacuum bag and test it out before the festival

We have one of those tent carpets, it's amazing the difference it makes, nice and cosy in the mornings and evenings when we get back. 

Chairs are important...lights...and a stove for the morning coffee and bacon sandwich!  

Our best purchase was the double mattress that has made sleeping in our tent like sleeping at home. Best investment ever!  It's called an Outwell Dreamboat and its a 12cm self inflating mattress and I can't recommend it enough!

I am also old.