Making your tent as comfy as possible.

Smashers

The past two years I've roughed it in a big way at Glastonbury, so this year I'm hoping to make things a bit comfier/better with the following 10 ideas that I've seen on eFests over the years. 

Comment if you have other ideas for making the camping experience a bit better/easier/comfier. 

1. Plastic shoe-rack (the kind you hang on the back of a door) clipped with clamps to the pocket on the inside of the tent for storage of small things like keys, toiletries, drinks, sunglasses etc. (Saving you time trying to find stuff in your tent).
  2. Small plastic bucket, soap and wash-cloth to have tent-washes and avoid the mega q's for showers. 
  3. Wide-neck Lenor bottle for middle of the night wee (girls may want to bring a shewee for a better aim!)
  4. Freezing a box of wine and storing this in a cooler bag to keep all my drinks cold and have lovely chilled wine for a day or two. 
  5. Fluffy/furry blanket to put on-top of blow-up mattress for warmth. 
  6. Tesco value pillow, comes pre-rolled in plastic for easy transportation (better than using your clothes as a pillow...)
  7. Pack of s-hooks to hang things up inside the tent.
  8. Solar lights for inside the tent. 
  9. Eye mask & ear plugs for noise/light cancellation. 
  10. Plenty black bin bags to keep on top of rubbish around the tent and for dirty clothes. 

I appreciate this list won't be for everyone and some of you would rather bring the basics, but thought some of the ideas were worth sharing.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After last year being shattering I too am adopting some extra tent comfort this year, sacrificing some booze I would carry to ensure I can wind down at the end of the errr day/night

I have invested in pull string light bulbs just to make it feel like home ha

My top tip (think I got it from here) is to take different coloured/size carrier bags and unpack things into those. E.g. one bag has t-shirts, one has all the things you need for a wash in the morning, one for dirty clothes. No two bags are the same so you can find things quickly. It’s simple but helps a lot particularly when the tent has warmed up.

27 minutes ago, Smashers said:

The past two years I've roughed it in a big way at Glastonbury, so this year I'm hoping to make things a bit comfier/better with the following 10 ideas that I've seen on eFests over the years. 

Comment if you have other ideas for making the camping experience a bit better/easier/comfier. 

1. Plastic shoe-rack (the kind you hang on the back of a door) clipped with clamps to the pocket on the inside of the tent for storage of small things like keys, toiletries, drinks, sunglasses etc. (Saving you time trying to find stuff in your tent).
  2. Small plastic bucket, soap and wash-cloth to have tent-washes and avoid the mega q's for showers. 
  3. Wide-neck Lenor bottle for middle of the night wee (girls may want to bring a shewee for a better aim!)
  4. Freezing a box of wine and storing this in a cooler bag to keep all my drinks cold and have lovely chilled wine for a day or two. 
  5. Fluffy/furry blanket to put on-top of blow-up mattress for warmth. 
  6. Tesco value pillow, comes pre-rolled in plastic for easy transportation (better than using your clothes as a pillow...)
  7. Pack of s-hooks to hang things up inside the tent.
  8. Solar lights for inside the tent. 
  9. Eye mask & ear plugs for noise/light cancellation. 
  10. Plenty black bin bags to keep on top of rubbish around the tent and for dirty clothes. 

I appreciate this list won't be for everyone and some of you would rather bring the basics, but thought some of the ideas were worth sharing.

• I would probably sack no.1 off as if you can find stuff easily so can thieves!!
  • Washing up bowl can be used as no.2 and you can fill it with all you lights and breakables during transportation
  • To add to no.4 I freeze all my bottles of water and capri suns, then spread them out between the beers in my cooler bags - damn heavy though so don't recommend if coming by coach or don't have trolley

1 hour ago, shoptildrop said:
  • I would probably sack no.1 off as if you can find stuff easily so can thieves!!
  • Washing up bowl can be used as no.2 and you can fill it with all you lights and breakables during transportation
  • To add to no.4 I freeze all my bottles of water and capri suns, then spread them out between the beers in my cooler bags - damn heavy though so don't recommend if coming by coach or don't have trolley

I take a lunchbox with me, which contains things like plasters, paracetamol and other such small items, the contents of which gets dumped into the pocket on the inner tent and then acts as my washing bowl for the week.  I prefer a soap and water strip wash in the tent with a flannel to baby wipes.  I'm all about minimising the bulk of what I carry :)

38 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Yeah but I think the OP is talking about specifically at Glastonbury 

Heh - seriously though, I did do that one warmer and drier year back in the '90's. You wake up soaked through from the dew in the morning.

1 hour ago, cerv said:

My top tip (think I got it from here) is to take different coloured/size carrier bags and unpack things into those. E.g. one bag has t-shirts, one has all the things you need for a wash in the morning, one for dirty clothes. No two bags are the same so you can find things quickly. It’s simple but helps a lot particularly when the tent has warmed up.

I do something similar but I take 5 bags, each one contains 1x shirt, pants and socks. In the morning, I just need to find one bag, and it'll have all the clean clothes for that day.

23 minutes ago, Mardy said:

I do something similar but I take 5 bags, each one contains 1x shirt, pants and socks. In the morning, I just need to find one bag, and it'll have all the clean clothes for that day.

Yeah I do this too, when I pack my clothes I pack each day's outfit into a separate carrier bag... I also tie the bag up super tight to avoid any dampness getting in.

When I'm packing I also spray my clothes with a couple of squirts of perfume, so that when I get dressed in the mornings I smell nice (as nice as you can at Glastonbury, anyway)

13 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

Yeah I do this too, when I pack my clothes I pack each day's outfit into a separate carrier bag... I also tie the bag up super tight to avoid any dampness getting in.

When I'm packing I also spray my clothes with a couple of squirts of perfume, so that when I get dressed in the mornings I smell nice (as nice as you can at Glastonbury, anyway)

Love the squirty idea cos perfume tends to be in pretty glass bottles. Nice one. 

3 minutes ago, Fred Zepplin said:

I pop into Debenhams and can normally get little plastic tester aftershaves and take a couple of them with me

Oh good call as well. Next time I'm near a department store and not looking like a tramp I'll give that a go. 

Getting down voted for wanting to smell nice and not wanting to bring glass onsite is a fucking new one on me. 

Anyway pillows and making your bed as cosy and comfy as you can. We brought our duvet to electric picnic. Utterly delightful. ( Leave no trace)

Someone on here last year recommended a boot tidy, they fold up really flat to carry, but have loads of sections and pockets so you can find stuff really easliy, kept my tent really tidy, only cost a couple of quid from ebay. Best thing I bought last year was a fleece sleeping bag liner, as I'm a real cold arse, also a balaclava (one of those breathable ones bikers wear) really kept my head warm in the tent, yes I really do get that cold! I also bought a spray perfume bottle from ebay so I could decant my favourite perfume and avoid any glass bottles, but I love the idea of spraying my clothes before I go :D