Newbies with kids

LisaB.

Hi all,

Its all getting abit real now! Starting to get our list together, going with my husband and our two girls age 8 & 11 years.

I know that these q's have probably been asked but here goes..

1. Family site

We are staying in a hotel nearby on tuesday, planning to leave early hours on weds, possibly 3 or 4am to try and get on the family site, what time do you recommend? Any tips?

2. Camping toilet

I was thinking of taking one just for wees, no poos! That would be emptied and cleaned to avoid smells, just thought it would make life easier at night, maybe even getting a tiny tent to put it in but I want to be considerate on space.. What are your thoughts?

Even with all the traffic hassle last year, we were in the queue near Shepton Mallet at 6ish last year and got in the gate about 9.30, still enough space in Cockmill by 10 and wasn't completely full till midday.

Kidney bowls like they have in hospital...

Officially you aren't allowed toilet tents - in my experience they are a little bit unstable - fine when camping on a normal site but not so good when you have toddlers crashing about against them.

With your children being older I would aim for Wicket family camping anyway and not Cockmill - I was there last year with a 12 year old and so you dont get woken up so early in the morning by babies and toddlers, have loads more space and you are really close to the JP. The toilets are fine in there - take some traveljohns for emergency night times and just use the composters otherwise at the bottom of the field.

20 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

Officially you aren't allowed toilet tents - in my experience they are a little bit unstable - fine when camping on a normal site but not so good when you have toddlers crashing about against them.

With your children being older I would aim for Wicket family camping anyway and not Cockmill - I was there last year with a 12 year old and so you dont get woken up so early in the morning by babies and toddlers, have loads more space and you are really close to the JP. The toilets are fine in there - take some traveljohns for emergency night times and just use the composters otherwise at the bottom of the field.

What's the hike like from the car parks, we'll be there early hours of Wednesday and normally head for Cockmill

On 2017-5-21 at 10:01 PM, LisaB. said:

Hi all,

Its all getting abit real now! Starting to get our list together, going with my husband and our two girls age 8 & 11 years.

I know that these q's have probably been asked but here goes..

1. Family site

We are staying in a hotel nearby on tuesday, planning to leave early hours on weds, possibly 3 or 4am to try and get on the family site, what time do you recommend? Any tips?

2. Camping toilet

I was thinking of taking one just for wees, no poos! That would be emptied and cleaned to avoid smells, just thought it would make life easier at night, maybe even getting a tiny tent to put it in but I want to be considerate on space.. What are your thoughts?

I've not got round to taking my kids yet but it's coming but have you considered one of you only going for the queue and let the little ones sleep?

Get in. Get camped, go get kids?