Crowd surfing

Fladog

27 minutes ago, Bonaneas said:

Half with you on this. Nowt wrong with a good mosh pit but, as someone who is 6ft5 and can't duck out the way, crowd surfing can fuck off. Not happened since Leeds fest last year but i always get the boot the elbows and the head right in the back of mine. Always give em a few punches though nowadays, and try take their shoe off. Used to put up with it in younger days but after a car crash that's left my neck & back fucked I snap at anything that could do me any more damage, especially to back of my neck & head.

Crowd surfers = w*nkers, and should be thrown out of any gig.

Yeah, but in an ideal world you'd be up the back so the rest of us can see something. ;)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a tricky one.  I think you gauge it according to the gig you're at.  It's a bit much to go to a punk or metal gig, stand front and centre and grumble about moshing or surfing, but by the same token if you go to a gig where such things are clearly not suitable and try to start a pit then you probably deserve a clip round the ear.

33 minutes ago, Homer said:

I'd personally refrain from adopting a blanket punching on contact policy. Or, indeed, any kind of physical violence. That's just me though.

Personally I catch your drift, and I shoujd rise above it, but it's not a blanket policy on any contact, just kicks & blows to my head & neck. 

Thing is i don't think the knobs how to actually crowd surf as they did back in the 80s/90s. You're supposed to let yourself relax on your back arms out and let people carry you and pass you along. These sods nowadays go head first and start flailing as if they're escaping a great white shark. Crowd swimming not surfing. 

12 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

Hey George, hold my phone and instagram me surfing will you.

This.

Typical of the look at me me me me culture. True crowd surfing was a communal thing of the music taking you up and everyone else holding you up passing you along, you trusting them and them you, not being a fucking lunatic kicking & flailing for the best Facebook brag photo. 

Now what you really don't see is stage diving anymore, when I started going to small gigs in 95 it was just the done thing to get up on stage (there were no barriers) and jump in the crowd. Still crowd surfing the last time I was a Reading (12) but never really seen at Glasto. It definitely happens as sub 2000 capacity rock gigs still tho

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

You'd need to be in the X Men to be able to jump from the Pyramid Stage into the pit there.

Just make a trampoline out of all the camping chairs and picnic blankets that are graciously lying about in front of the one of the most famous live music stages in the world, and bub's your uncle. 

26 minutes ago, Barneym said:

Now what you really don't see is stage diving anymore, when I started going to small gigs in 95 it was just the done thing to get up on stage (there were no barriers) and jump in the crowd. Still crowd surfing the last time I was a Reading (12) but never really seen at Glasto. It definitely happens as sub 2000 capacity rock gigs still tho

That's a point. Stage  Divings gone with the dodo and smoking at gigs and it being acceptable to wear a t shirt of the band you're seeing. It's security & safety now all the way. Even small venues of 800-1500 have a barrier then small pit with security before the stage. Even if you could do it now it would be ruined by selfie takers and attention seekers. Love the old footage of smiths gigs where people would get on stage just to hug morrissey, or from the grunge era pearl jam & nirvana shows where fans would just get on stage to dive off it without going near the band.

Christ I'm sounding like an old miserable codger on this bloody thread today. "Back in my bloody day..."

Need to have a word with myself. Think I'll crowd surf at the gigs I'm going tonight. :P

Edited by Bonaneas

Very much enjoyed my first visit recently to the Brudenell in Leeds. It's a bit of a free-for-all there, no barrier, good beer, good people.

And seeing DFA1979 at Gorilla in Manchester was just surreal. Sebastien said "This is cool, I feel like I can reach out and touch you" and literally did, as I was pressed against the stage right in front of him.

13 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Just take your shoes off before you go up - can't complain then.

Tim from James surfed out into the crowd in their set at Glastonbury last year I think.

Shoes off would help! Can't imagine what it's like getting a muddy welly in the head. Saw it at Leeds last year glad i was out back. 

Love it when singers get in the crowd 

21 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Just take your shoes off before you go up - can't complain then.

Tim from James surfed out into the crowd in their set at Glastonbury last year I think.

He did. And I bet Matt from the National will this year.

I once stage dived at an Anthrax gig. Everyone moved out the way and I hit the floor.

At a Motorhead gig I dived just before security gripped me but the bloody crowd threw my back on the stage to their waiting arms.

On a more successful expedition, I crowd surfed stagewards at a Jane's Addiction gig and landed at Perry Farrell's feet just in time for him to scream "Sex Is Violence!" into my face.

I'm all for it.