Jump to content
cheesey_toastie

Full screen ad - Neil can you please check?

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I was browsing the forum and a nasty, sly full screen advert appeared. I know Neil normally jumps on these so sorry if he's already aware?!

@eFestivals - this one for you?

Capture.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks, i'll report it upwards.

If anyone else sees it from now, please post details here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this thread is already here:

I get an ad quite often that closes eFestivals and opens a fake Telekom page telling me i've won something. Only getting this on mobile (chrome). Living in germany.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got this same full page chrome ad about an hour ago when I was in the secret resale thread.

Shut the whole site off just to be sure and restarted. I was using Chrome as browser at the time, but the only time that I have seen it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Cath-T said:

I just had a full screen one pop up on my screen just now

Thanks. I'll report that upwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another shout out for posters above to become Gold members of eFestivals.  £18 for the year and no ads, supporting the forum. Link on the page.

Edited by GlastoEls
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had that chrome one pop up yesterday, also last week had a similar thing that was trying to redirect my browser to a dodgy page after clicking on a forum post, luckily my security software blocked it.

As far as gold membership goes would that affect seeing these ads? they seem more like malware/phishing kind of things as in `not meant` to be on the page like the other ads are, would gold membership prevent them in that case?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

As far as gold membership goes would that affect seeing these ads? they seem more like malware/phishing kind of things as in `not meant` to be on the page like the other ads are, would gold membership prevent them in that case?

gold members aren't served any ad code, so there's no chance of anything happening that's triggered by adverts - and what is being reported here is stuff that's being triggered by adverts.

They're not 'genuine' adverts of course and are abusing the ads systems, but i'm not aware of any of these ever being 'destructive' (in the way a virus might be). The worst i'm aware of (tho it's not happened for a long long time) is ads that subscribed a person's mobile phone to paid-for texts.

Ads like these are a problem for all of the advertising industry, and at times affect all websites that carry advertising. It's not anything specific to efestivals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I have gold membership and never have any problems whatsoever, plus the funds help pay Neil's bills xx

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who does serve the ads here? Love the site, but it does tend to have one of the worst overall ad experiences out of any site I visit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Vanderlyle said:

Who does serve the ads here? Love the site, but it does tend to have one of the worst overall ad experiences out of any site I visit.

Until this incident it had been (according to my email trail) over 2 months since there'd been a problem here - the longest time without a problem for ages. Via some changes it looks like I've managed to improve things.

I'm working with two different major companies. There's just about no one who can guarantee 'clean' ads, because of how just about every ad house is now using 'network ads' from other ad-houses.

It's annoying as f*ck from where i'm say, i assure you. If there was a clean option i'd be right there.

I get affected much more on other sites (telegraph, Guardian, newsnow, etc - all top-dollar sites) than I do here, despite 90%+ of the pages I load being from here.  I've not seen the problem people are reporting in this topic.

I think who gets them is more to do with other sites a person visits than it's to do with specifically here, because of how those networks track a person's interests.

Edited by eFestivals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, sorry, not trying to have a pop - like I say I love the site. But I've had a fair few warnings about 'potentially malicious' ads from my anti-virus, firewall protections when visiting here. But then again I work somewhere with pretty tight security, and it may just be picking up stuff that's fine, but against our own security policies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hiya - I've just had a full screen advert pop up whilst I was using the forum offering me "sex with local girls today!", along with a picture of a girl posing provocatively in her pants. :lol: 

I'm using Safari on an iPhone via EE if that helps. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

Hiya - I've just had a full screen advert pop up whilst I was using the forum offering me "sex with local girls today!", along with a picture of a girl posing provocatively in her pants. :lol: 

I'm using Safari on an iPhone via EE if that helps. 

Thanks. :(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just had another one pop up that was a cartoon of a girl being shagged over a desk. The website it linked to was called Facebook Dating. 

Also the only way to get rid of these ads is to completely close the window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JoBalls, If Neil is correct and the nature of the spam adverts getting delivered is more related to other sites that you have visited and their 'interests', then you (or someone else who uses your computer - because I'm sure it wouldn't be you!!) obviously have a more 'diverse' range of 'interests' than I must do. I just get the boring 'Chrome Update required' spam advert! Probably says a lot about me that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

I've just had another one pop up that was a cartoon of a girl being shagged over a desk. The website it linked to was called Facebook Dating. 

Also the only way to get rid of these ads is to completely close the window.

Thanks - action is being taken to shut down some ad sources to try and isolate these.

But if you or anyone else gets it again, please try and posy the URL that it ends up on. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I think who gets them is more to do with other sites a person visits than it's to do with specifically here, because of how those networks track a person's interests.

Hmmm.  That might explain some of the "specialist" adverts I see if I'm not logged in :ninja:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Skier68 said:

JoBalls, If Neil is correct and the nature of the spam adverts getting delivered is more related to other sites that you have visited and their 'interests', then you (or someone else who uses your computer - because I'm sure it wouldn't be you!!) obviously have a more 'diverse' range of 'interests' than I must do. I just get the boring 'Chrome Update required' spam advert! Probably says a lot about me that!

that's not quite how I meant it.

What ads a person gets is related to their interests, but ads like those porn ones won't have been accepted onto the ad systems knowingly, they'll instead be pretending to be something legitimate, and the interests that trigger them will also be a 'legitimate' interest (rather than a porn interest).

What i meant by a persons interests is that not everyone gets served the same ads. I've not seen either of these ads, and it's probably the case that I load more pages here than anyone else - so presumably i'm not getting them because I don't have the interests - which might (for example) be 'shoes' - required to trigger those ads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

You sure you were looking at your phone screen, and not in the mirror?

I think the more important question is how did JoBalls get hold of your phone Scruff?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×