Camping spots

Grinding aftertaste

Where and when are people planning to camp this year? We would ideally be in the southerly section to be close to the Park and West Holts, but won't be arriving until around 19.00 on the Wednesday. We only have one 4 man tent this year so might at least try for Paines Ground, but suspect that by that late in the day we'll be looking at Bushy Ground realistically.

2017v1map.png

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last year was my first year and got through the gates around 5pm weds and managed to find a nice spot for 2 3-man tents. 

This year we will probably get through the gates around the same time and will probably shoot for the same spot only a bit closer to the toilets. 

I would love to go for pennards oxlyers or park home but I doubt we will get the space by the time our train arrives.  

I was warned about Pennards before my first year. I was warned about the noise, crime, crowdedness, drugs gone bad, and general mayhem. I took a risk and camped there regardless purely for location and did the same again the following year in roughly the same spot, about two thirds of the way up, close to the Park entrance at the top of the field. 

Ive never had a problem. It's noisy yes, but I crash when I'm ready to pas out so that's no a huge issue. Is it crowded? Undoubtedly. The place is rammed by Wednesday lunchtime and any spare tent space patch of green is going to find a tent on it by Thursday morning. 

But it's a brilliant location. I haven't found the people to be overly friendly but they haven't been nightmares either. Towards the top of the field seems slightly better for this than down the bottom, just through observation. 

Now obviously I have no other point of reference although I did visit an outer field a couple of years ago and there was much more space, the place felt friendlier and quieter. But, crucially, I wasn't so impressed that I felt it was worth sacrificing my plot for it. 

So I'm thinking Pennards again this year. But a lot will depend on whether most of the acts I know I want give see are clustered in a particular part of the site. 

Ive always been tempted by Row Mead or anywhere at the top of the Pyramid. That also gets rammed straight away. Is there any advantage to that spot? Must be popular for a reason. 

First timer here. I think I will camp in Darble or Pylon Ground. I'm a light sleeper, so I'm hoping it might be a little bit quieter here. I don't mind walking back at night. Also coming & going by National Express so it's nice and close to the drop off point.

Anyone camped here before? Any major Pros/Cons?

6 minutes ago, hermano said:

First timer here. I think I will camp in Darble or Pylon Ground. I'm a light sleeper, so I'm hoping it might be a little bit quieter here. I don't mind walking back at night. Also coming & going by National Express so it's nice and close to the drop off point.

We were in Bushy Ground in 14 and 15 (I think) so not a million miles away. It was certainly pretty quiet when we were sleeping, but that wasn't until after 3am so not sure what kind of noise comes out of silver Hayes before then.

There were a couple of times when I needed to get back to the tent and wished it were less of a trek away, but could probably have avoided even that if I'd been more organised with the lock ups. And as you say, very handy for the coach.

16 minutes ago, hermano said:

The past few years I have camped in Bushy Ground, just up from Darble and Pylon. I love it there. Quite roomy and peaceful. It is a bit of a walk from the main happenings but it's not too bad. I actually really enjoy the walk home at night.

This year I am camping with friends in Oxylers but I will miss being in Bushy (it's naturist friendly there too, always a bonus for me...!). Plus, very near Gate A, handy if you are coming to the festival by public transport.

So personally, I'd recommend those fields :)

Edited by sime

Oxylers is decent and you might find space at the time you arrive. The only downside is it can be quite noisy at night and by 10am the Other Stage gets fired up with testing music and some bloke shouting random stuff. You can also get quite lazy and instead of getting ready and walking down to the Other Stage you can sit at the tent and watch it.

The central location and ease of nipping back to the tent is its major plus point.

I've camped in Pylon the last few years and loved it. Plenty of room, usually friendly neighbours and compost loos which smell less rank than others. Noise from Silver Hayes until 3am and then it all goes quiet. Excellent spot for coach travellers with minimal carrying  required. It is a fair walk from the SE corner but I use the walk as chill out time. 

9 minutes ago, sime said:

The past few years I have camped in Bushy Ground, just up from Darble and Pylon. I love it there. Quite roomy and peaceful. It is a bit of a walk from the main happenings but it's not too bad. I actually really enjoy the walk home at night.

This year I am camping with friends in Oxylers but I will miss being in Bushy (it's naturist friendly there too, always a bonus for me...!). Plus, very near Gate A, handy if you are coming to the festival by public transport.

So personally, I'd recommend those fields :)

??? Can't believe I didn't clock that!

23 minutes ago, hermano said:

I have camped in Pylon once and Darble twice and will be camping in Darble again this year. Lots of space and generally quiet at night. The only con, which isn't a con at all for me, is how far away it is from everything. I don't mind really, 10 minutes and you are at the other stage, no big deal.

21 minutes ago, Grinding aftertaste said:

??? Can't believe I didn't clock that!

Ha! It's always a bonus for me to have nudie friendly neighbours! Love a bit of sunbathing 'au natural' by my tent!

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

Ive always been tempted by Row Mead or anywhere at the top of the Pyramid. That also gets rammed straight away. Is there any advantage to that spot? Must be popular for a reason. 

Used to be flushing toilets - great for the morning, but no more. At start of the day you're right by markets and near West holts for decent food. Good for popping back to tent for extra layers or booze before or after headliners if your headliner is on pyramid...

Darble again, same as last 2 years. Right next to coach drop off point, loads of space, friendly chilled out atmosphere, and although further away from the action, I don't come back to the tent at all during the day and enjoy the 5/6am walk back to the tent across the site! Also compost loos!

Edited by GT3

I'll be in Darble again, only ever camped there and Woodsies since I get the coach in. Was loads of space last year I know everyone was slow getting in but I got there at 5pm Wednesday and there was tonnes of space left. Plus it's really not as far away from everything as people think and the food place by Gate A does a good full breakfast too

My coach gets in at half 5 Weds morning this year so will have the pick of the land I'd imagine 

Edited by kaytee...

1 hour ago, hermano said:

Camped in Pylon or Darble for last few years. Loads of room, very friendly and easy to get in anytime. The distance is not much of an issue, walking is par for the course, although it is a long way from the SE corner. Worth considering that it's pretty much a once your out your not popping back situation, if that's not a problem for you I would recommend it. 

Done Pennards a few times and it's my favourite place to camp but as said above you really need to get there early, especially with a 4 man tent. Never felt Oxylers to be honest. Arrived fairly late on wed last year so I went for Darble, there was still loads of space even late on Thursday. I haven't got a ticket as yet for this year so haven't made any plans but if I get lucky I will probably go for Darble again as I won't be arriving until Thursday.

Have a read of Tort's site below, should tell you all you need to know.

http://www.glastoearth.com/the-faq/faq-part-3

Camped in oxylers and lower mead in the past. Enjoyed both for different reasons. 

Thinking park home this year. Should be getting to site fairly early wouldn't have thought any later than 10am Wednesday. Anyone a regular there care to share what sort of atmosphere it is there and likelihood of getting a space. Only one tent so Should be fine in most places 

We'll be travelling from Bournemouth so will head for the Eastern side parking. Was looking at Row Mead, Big Ground or Kidney Mead. There will be two of us arriving on Tues night, Weds morning, with another to follow on Thurs. We've got two 4 man tents to put up. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Don't mind a good walk but nearer the better. Looking at the map I'll need to follow the Blue route.

Undecided. We'll be getting there sometime after 6 or 7pm through Gate A so should go for a spot in one of the fields near there, but we start the day in the Green Fields/T&C, end the night in the SE Corner and like to pop back to the tent during the day so it's really not a good idea. 

Might try for the back end of Oxlyers. We only have one four man tent.

55 minutes ago, PorkSoda said:

Camped in oxylers and lower mead in the past. Enjoyed both for different reasons. 

Thinking park home this year. Should be getting to site fairly early wouldn't have thought any later than 10am Wednesday. Anyone a regular there care to share what sort of atmosphere it is there and likelihood of getting a space. Only one tent so Should be fine in most places 

We camp in Park Home pretty much next to Arcadia. The noise from that is obviously booming until 3am but then it's pretty quiet and you just get a few people walking through to the other campsites. The atmosphere isn't too party central but it's definitely not quiet. I like it for how close it is to either The Park or Other. Plus there's a little market just through the tree line in dairy which does some banging food. 

2 hours ago, GT3 said:

Darble again, same as last 2 years. Right next to coach drop off point, loads of space, friendly chilled out atmosphere, and although further away from the action, I don't come back to the tent at all during the day and enjoy the 5/6am walk back to the tent across the site! Also compost loos!

Anyone know the approx walking time from darble to the se corner?

2 hours ago, Chipbarm said:

Oxylers is decent and you might find space at the time you arrive. The only downside is it can be quite noisy at night and by 10am the Other Stage gets fired up with testing music and some bloke shouting random stuff. You can also get quite lazy and instead of getting ready and walking down to the Other Stage you can sit at the tent and watch it.

The central location and ease of nipping back to the tent is its major plus point.

TWO TWO, TWO TWO