Glastonbury Mental Health

liamium

If any of your single males want to do a swap for a week, send me a PM. One wife (good looking, good cook, bit untidy) 3 kids (generally well behaved, can be a bit mouthy) on offer. You can get your fix of family life probably resulting in "FUCK THIS" which will help get you out of your funk. And I can get my fill of single life.

I have a week going, next year, end of June which would just be absolutely perfect.

Just now, senor said:

If any of your single males want to do a swap for a week, send me a PM. One wife (good looking, good cook, bit untidy) 3 kids (generally well behaved, can be a bit mouthy) on offer. You can get your fix of family life probably resulting in "FUCK THIS" which will help get you out of your funk. And I can get my fill of single life.

I have a week going, next year, end of June which would just be absolutely perfect.

Bit sexist of me, single females welcome to apply as well.  :)

3 minutes ago, senor said:

im not sure this is the site for that kind of thing :) .... and thats the one week of the year im very happy single .... Ive seen lots of couples struggle at the festival :) 

• 5 months later...

I was trying to explain to help other people what I found tricky at the aspergers group today Stay up late gig buddies one thing that they need to realise is warn people more about all the senses light things that could potentially trigger people especially at bigger festivals I'm not saying this out of spite so please don't take it the wrong way people need to be warned more of the setup at Glastonbury its a very different setup to download festival massivly overwhelming  not getting enough sleep some people can cope with this better than others although it would catch up with them in the end if you are the type of person that overthinks things more you need to think about how muddy it is it was the muddiest Glastonbury on record in 2014 physically tiring could be how busy it is walking through the crowds the disability camp at download is nicer less busy nicer showers also consider that if you are volunteering with gig buddies that you get up quite early about 9am my biggest issue was I didn't get enough sleep worrying if i d be judged for not managing to stay up all night like everyone else I became so spaced out that my brain just flaked out switched off its overwhelming because its fair enough trying to fit in as much at night as possible but I'd already helped out as much  as possible in the day volunteering if you have aspergers for most people I would kind of describe as being stuck in a sensory overloaded maze and you feel like you can't get out I'm not the only one as well somebody at the aspergers group today said they reckoned they'd have a meltdown when your mind goes back into a depressed state it shuts down and you feel if you struggle more to communicate and you worry what people think I recon if you are a quieter person as well and don't talk as much as some people can then others can feel uncomfortable with this I was also again probably my mind if I'd stayed in the hammock all day sleeping if people would think I was not volunteering at helping enough if I'd be judged for being lazy disability camp was I can't be the only one that has been to Glastonbury and found it too much that is for sure I've learnt this now but I write this to try and help other people also consider that if you are more the type of person that finds doing lots too much or taking anti depressants meds that if you are too overwhelmed you are likely to forget taking your meds I think as well some people don't get it if you don't manage to do loads of stuff all the time before I went I felt really positive about it but fitting in with the group conversation was very difficult people sometimes talk really quick I didn't really felt like I fit in very well when I went to download it was different with autism Sussex I felt like we were all in the same boat same kind of disabilities we have Glastonbury  was still in a slightly more neurotypical way in my view and I remember having a meltdown because I felt like I was trying to have a laugh at the festival someone did really good face painting and someone laughing and I remember having a meltdown and finding things too much I remember thinking because I wasn't feeling myself trying to walk off it was mainly a warning because I felt like I needed to escape it felt like people thought I was weird because I wasn't myself and didn't fit in at the time and remember saying something like I felt like I was no good to anyone and I remember spiralling more and more after Glastonbury I don't know if people appreciate enough how much effort it took even for me to make it to the other opportunities I had after Glastonbury because I did not feel myself it feels like people didn't always accept it enough and felt uncomfortable about the fact you feel really badly depressed and you feel like its your fault I remember spiralling more and more out of control I remember feeling lost like I couldn't go on anymore

This thread is great! It gives me great comfort in knowing there is other people out there with similar experiences. I never talk about my mental health i have always seen it as people would think i am attention seeking or something. I have had  anxiety and depression since forever-always there if someone needs a chat.

I have been on and off citalopram for years and i have been told not to drink whilst taking it. One thing i have noticed is that if i have a heavy night the hang overs last for days and i feel very down. But generally if i stick to beer i am fine.

I am really surprised others have listened to The National and its helped them. There is something about the song "Baby we'll be fine". 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Bisque said:

Have you gone cold turkey on citalopram?

Not sure if you meant cold turkey in its most common sense, but it’s a really bad idea to just suddenly stop taking antidepressants. You need to reduce over time with support of your GP. The withdrawal symptoms are not pleasant: https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/medicines/how-should-antidepressants-be-discontinued/

Yes brilliant thread fantastic I did see this thread last year but I was worried to write anything in case I’d offend the charity Stay up late gig buddies because I struggled so much but then I decided to just write on here I found it because it might help other people I have since been to a smaller festival which was really nice called the Joy Festival I play Samba drumming aswell the only thing that was annoying at that was we got told to stop playing and the crowd were just getting into it aswell and we got told we’d upstaged the main stage I wouldn’t say that I would never go back I’d just say that I wouldn’t ever go back to watch in the crowds at Glastonbury because it would definitely be too much for me I remember I had trouble even remembering to take my medication aswell because I was so overwhelmed I play the drums myself and love my music there are lots of smaller festivals out there that I would like to start with for having the opportunity to play at some of them I am taking citalopram and propanalol myself it took me about 4 to 5 months to get used to my meds but after I’d had my relapse I don’t know if I could risk coming off them again when I first was getting used to my meds I felt strange drinking any alcohol atall but when I got used to it I can have about 2 to 3 pints and be alright I was partly going through a phase when I was at Glastonbury when I’d felt like a failure for needing to take medication but also forgetting to take them I don’t know if I could risk I could maybe reduce the mg I take a bit but I don’t know if I could risk coming off them totally again in case I had a relapse again. I don’t deny though that Glastonbury is defineftly a very unique and magical festival I think they maybe need something where if people want to or can only cope with going for one day and one night then go back the next morning but for me I can manage to not sleep atall for one night but 4 to 5 nights in a row for me is too much they should maybe consider this for people who love music and would like to experience it and make the most of it for a shorter amount of time maybe they don’t do this because there are so many people that go I’m not sure but there has got to be quite a few people that can only cope with going for a shorter amount of time just to experience I personally wouldn’t either want to bother setting up a tent although I didn’t have to when I went as charity very kindly helped out with this  I would prefer to just go there for a day and one night stay up all night for one night then leave the next morning instead of having the only option to stay for the whole festival.

Edited by Fraser Caygill
  • Upvote 1

Good to see this topic continue to be openly aired, never be afraid to do so, it’s the starter  for everything else to follow.

Music wise, if you want an example of someone who continues to fight his demons, then look no further than the lead singer of Blue October. The lyrics to almost all of their songs says it all.

Edited by oneeye
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interested to read your posts Fraser. Writing about what happened certainly seems to help you and it might be worth setting up a personal blog that you could write in regularly.

We think it was great that you had the opportunity to go to Glastonbury with such a small group of disability friendly people. However it may have been helpful for you to have had more discussion before the trip on how involving yourself in several hours of voluntary work each day with face to face contact in potentially appalling weather could impact you and your personal resilience. Also reducing medication is difficult at the best of times. An overload of sensory experiences resulted. The comparison with your other trip supported with another local autism charity is tricky to consider because you were there having paid for a ticket to just listen to music with support which was a different experience.

The most difficult part for us as your family was seeing you literally falling apart afterwards over a period of a year and feeling very unsupported and unheard by agencies and organisations. A very very frightening and generally unrecognised experience all round.I think you have a much better understanding of your triggers Fraser now and are able to ask questions when following all things music. 

Very proud of you this morning playing on Brighton seafront with a super local samba band supporting the half marathon this morning, in the wind!! 

Keep going forward 🥁🥁🥁🥁

• 3 weeks later...

I bumped this thread the other day as for me it’s going to be one of the most important ones on the forum over the next few weeks and months wether or not the festival happens ... we are all going to see some massive impacts in our lives and potential mental health ( and maybe who knows mine too ) I’m getting through things at the moment but I’m also a natural worrier and I struggle with uncertainty of the moment ... anyway it’s a bit of a plea for people to be a bit more understanding at the moment and try and lay off some of the negative responses to things . Seeing something typed on a page on an Internet forum probably doesn’t express quite what is going on in someone’s lives .... anyway people keep talking and have a think before getting agro with others on here ... and if you are a troll now is not the time to be winding others up ... have a think about it ffs !!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I bumped this thread the other day as for me it’s going to be one of the most important ones on the forum over the next few weeks and months wether or not the festival happens ... we are all going to see some massive impacts in our lives and potential mental health ( and maybe who knows mine too ) I’m getting through things at the moment but I’m also a natural worrier and I struggle with uncertainty of the moment ... anyway it’s a bit of a plea for people to be a bit more understanding at the moment and try and lay off some of the negative responses to things . Seeing something typed on a page on an Internet forum probably doesn’t express quite what is going on in someone’s lives .... anyway people keep talking and have a think before getting agro with others on here ... and if you are a troll now is not the time to be winding others up ... have a think about it ffs !!!

Yep, agreed; be nice pop pickers, be nice 😘x

On 2/1/2020 at 12:31 AM, Bisque said:

Have you gone cold turkey on citalopram?

I've tried stopping my tablets and have ended up being worse off.... I didn't even notice it really it was my wife, family and friends who told me that I was going off the rails again... Burning my arms ( which I find a great relief ) didn't go down well either.. But as I'm on 40 different tablets a day trying to stop any of them is a nightmare.. Tramadol is a right fucker.. My advice is stick with what you are on and if trying to get off them see your doc.... Which might be hard at the moment... DON'T try just stopping it's not fun and not safe.. 

Great thread. There was one last year and it's crazy how many people found it a helpful thread.. I did.. 

Peace and tea. 

6 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I appreciate it, it's a nice idea, and definitely seems needed with everything going on!

Perhaps I may open up more about things in this thread eventually, but the time doesn't feel right yet =\

I was lazy & didn’t pick up a new prescription of citalopram. Worst 2 days of my life. Vomming up everything I’d ingested & trippy dreams. Horrible.

Off it for a few years now but still dabble in sleeping pills on trips which is what I needed really.

My heart felt like it sank this morning, like physically I felt it, when I saw that tweet about worker deposits getting refunded. My partner and I are the midst of trying to decide whether to flee New York City, which is about to go into lockdown and we fear will be quarantined soon after. In the midst of all this, here i am checking this forum and Twitter...

I know I’m certainly not the only heart-broken person here...

Wishing the best for you all. And I hope to see you all at the e-fests meet next year. 🙂

Edited by assorted
TMI